TH30 PROBLEMS

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

streettriple95

TH30 PROBLEMS

Post by streettriple95 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:28 am

Hello, first off- this is my first orange valve head, as i was converted from ENGL

I recently purchased a th30 head which dont get me wrong is awesome (for my tight budget)

my singer has a dual terror. He uses the volume at 9 o clock. and im struggling to cut through! the dirty channel on my th30 was cranked to 3 o clock and only just pushing through.

I have read some posts on this forum about volume difference on TH30'S but they were dated from 2011- and i was wondering has anyone found a solution?

The clean channel however is ear screaching loud, I just thought the dirty channel was a hell of allot quieter.

mici88
Tiny Terror

Re: TH30 PROBLEMS

Post by mici88 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:57 pm

streettriple95 wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:28 am
Hello, first off- this is my first orange valve head, as i was converted from ENGL

I recently purchased a th30 head which dont get me wrong is awesome (for my tight budget)

my singer has a dual terror. He uses the volume at 9 o clock. and im struggling to cut through! the dirty channel on my th30 was cranked to 3 o clock and only just pushing through.

I have read some posts on this forum about volume difference on TH30'S but they were dated from 2011- and i was wondering has anyone found a solution?

The clean channel however is ear screaching loud, I just thought the dirty channel was a hell of allot quieter.

Hi there!

There is a volume difference between clean and dirty channel in TH30, but it doesn't mean that TH30 cannot be set properly in a band. Remember, that sometimes less is more and in a band mix that the golden rule. Too much volume - you will sound way too compressed. Too much gain - you will sound muddy. Take yours and others instrument EQ spectrum in consideration and all of the sudden there are a lot of factors which can mess up with your (or your band) overall tone.

Briefly, my rig is

Guitars with EMG 81/85 -- > Ibanez TS mini (gain dimmed, volume max, tone 10:00)--> TH30 head --> Orange PPC212 with V30.
TH30 on 15W mode
Clean channel: volume on 10:00, treble 2:00, bass 10:00
Dirt channel: volume 1:00, shape 11:00, gain 1:00

With this settings I have completely NO problems to cut through the loud drummer, even louder bassist and other guitarist. I use Boss GE-7 as slight solo boost with a bit of mid hump in the loop, but solo boosting is another story.

Moral is that your band needs to put in some work to set up your mix properly and you'll be fine with your TH30, its a bad-ass monster amp :D

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:15 pm

If you have the mids scooped, that wont help.

streettriple95

Post by streettriple95 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:27 pm

Hi there!

There is a volume difference between clean and dirty channel in TH30, but it doesn't mean that TH30 cannot be set properly in a band. Remember, that sometimes less is more and in a band mix that the golden rule. Too much volume - you will sound way too compressed. Too much gain - you will sound muddy. Take yours and others instrument EQ spectrum in consideration and all of the sudden there are a lot of factors which can mess up with your (or your band) overall tone.

Briefly, my rig is

Guitars with EMG 81/85 -- > Ibanez TS mini (gain dimmed, volume max, tone 10:00)--> TH30 head --> Orange PPC212 with V30.
TH30 on 15W mode
Clean channel: volume on 10:00, treble 2:00, bass 10:00
Dirt channel: volume 1:00, shape 11:00, gain 1:00

With this settings I have completely NO problems to cut through the loud drummer, even louder bassist and other guitarist. I use Boss GE-7 as slight solo boost with a bit of mid hump in the loop, but solo boosting is another story.

Moral is that your band needs to put in some work to set up your mix properly and you'll be fine with your TH30, its a bad-ass monster amp :D
[/quote]

Thanks for that :)

I was just a bit worried thats all, I currently have (dirty channel) volume 3:00 shape :10:00 gain: 11:00

I too use a BOSS GE7 in the fx loop and a LPB1 for a gain boost in front of the amp

:)