NAD! Drove to GC and brought a Rocker 15 home

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

langmurf
Rocker

NAD! Drove to GC and brought a Rocker 15 home

Post by langmurf » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:12 pm

Only had a little time with it so far... but am in love!

I posted a few months ago that I had tried the Rocker 15 at GC and was underwhelmed. Well, I take it back. First off, I didn’t have my main guitar with me and demoing amps at GC is pretty worthless, imho.

My main axe is a 2007 Gibson Melody Maker. One single coil pup; but a pretty hot single coil, I think.

The clean channel sounded lifeless at GC... at home it is so sweet. Glassy cleans are available at home levels. (That’s in 15 watt mode... haven’t tried the clean channel at lower settings yet.)

The Dirty channel is everything I’d hoped for; even in 0.5w mode! That Orange distortion sound in spades.

I won’t need a lot of time to figure out if this amp is for me. It is! Very, very happy camper!
Orange Rocker 15 Combo, Orange Two Stroke
2007 Gibson Melody Maker; Cort Steinberger

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Re: NAD! Drove to GC and brought a Rocker 15 home

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:21 pm

Cool enjoy.....it's really difficult to get an accurate picture of how any valve amp sounds in any shop.
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,
Fender elite Start, Gibson SG 61,fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Rocker 30

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:35 pm

Happy new amp Day!!!!

I'm glad you're pleased with it.
10" speaker are better suited at glassy cleans, and they can be beautiful indeed!

You and Jay really make me want to try out that R15 and R32.

I've fancied the melody maker for a long time too. Been trying to get a single coil 2 pick ups modelnfor ages, but they're difficult to find.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

langmurf
Rocker

Post by langmurf » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:20 am

Ronnie Robinson wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:21 pm
Cool enjoy.....it's really difficult to get an accurate picture of how any valve amp sounds in any shop.
I tried a Bugera V5 in GC a number of years ago. Liked one channel (or setting), didn’t like the other so much. Got the amp home and it was the complete opposite... disliked the one I liked in the store and liked the one i’d disliked in the store. I should have learned from that experience... but, no...

In my defense, I’d brought my TTHW head with me to compare to R15 and there was no comparison. I suspect that the demo model wasn’t firing on all cylinders.

langmurf
Rocker

Post by langmurf » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:42 am

Les Paul Lover wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:35 pm
Happy new amp Day!!!!

I'm glad you're pleased with it.
10" speaker are better suited at glassy cleans, and they can be beautiful indeed!

You and Jay really make me want to try out that R15 and R32.

I've fancied the melody maker for a long time too. Been trying to get a single coil 2 pick ups modelnfor ages, but they're difficult to find.
I’m just a home player... so the .5, 1w options are great for me. (Well... for the wife... lol) That said, I could rock my TTHW at reasonable home levels thanks to the great interaction of the Gain/Volume pots. I suspect the R15 will offer the same ability in 15w mode.

After trying the amp at GC back when, I am almost shocked at how great the clean channel ‘really’ sounds. One assumes the MM plays a part in the huge difference between what I experienced at GC and what I’m hearing now.

Love my MM. Always thought I liked humbuckers better until I got this guitar. I got mine off CL from a college kid who obviously was giving up on trying to play guitar. The single coil models pop up on CL every once in a while, but not frequently. Def worth checking out if one becomes available locally!

Just looked on Reverb and guess I got my MM for a good price; $300. All the ones on Reverb (2009, 2010 models) start in the high 400’s and go into $500 and above. But those are asking prices, I guess...