Oh, so thats how distortion pedals work!

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Oh, so thats how distortion pedals work!

Post by Jondog » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:39 am

Guess maybe I've been out of the loop on distortion pedal pretty near all my guitar playing life (since early 90's). Always prefered amp distortion, just could never get a great sound from a distortion pedal. Actually a reason I chose Orange was because of the distortion sound these amps give, its like the sound I always wanted to get from a pedal but could never find. Overdrives I love, to push an amp preamp into distortion. Always thought distortion pedals were supposed to emulate that sound, an overdriven preamp while using a clean channel amp. Was reading up on one of my favourite guitarists, John Frusciante who always uses Boss distortion. He gets heavy full sound from it, all I ever got was thin, buzzy, typical complaint of Boss distortion. Until I read his amps are cranked to where if he hits the strings hard it crunches a little, but is otherwise clean. Set my Rockers dirty channel up like this and kicked on the Boss and was very surprised how good this pedal sounds all of the sudden. Had to back the gain way off from where I usually had it. Full, articulate and biting. Guess it wont go back in the drawer for a while, having too much fun. A lot of reviewers give Boss a bad rap for their distortion sounding thin and buzzy.Perhaps they don't know how to use it! Oh and they're cheap and indestructible!

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Re: Oh, so thats how distortion pedals work!

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:04 am

Fantastic! it's great to have a eureka moment.

I think in general certain pedals are made to sound their best with certain settings on an amp, some pedals are made to sound their best on a clean setting others with a mildly dirty amp its not just a matter of turning the gain up and letting go ....

It's taken me years to get pedals that I'm completely happy with with my Orange amps but I'm pretty close now with my xotic ep booster and and providence Stampede pedal both set low though ....generally less gain is required than I use to think set up as you say a lightly crunchy amp with the volume as high as possible .... and i think a different pedal for a difference function is the way to go, enjoy!
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,
Fender elite Start, Gibson SG 61,fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Rocker 30

bfitz
Orange Expert

Post by bfitz » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:21 am

I found this to be quite helpful

Especially with Fuzz. I could never get the fuzz to work properly on the TT until i watched and learned here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdKjhXW ... e&index=40

Same as you say somewhat of a eureka moment but when you think about it, it makes total sense doesn't it?

Another cool pedal to try out is the Boss Blues Driver with the gain at 0 and the volume at unity - when you use a strat and this setup

you dont lose all your top end when rolling off the volume. Not sure but does the LP lose top end when you roll off the volume?

Orange AD30
Groove Tubes Soul-O 75
Orange PPC 212 OB
Boss Nextone 40
Fender CIJ Pink Paisley Tele
Fender Classic Player Strat 50s
Yamaha SA1200s
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG Jnr

adkguy07
Rocker

Post by adkguy07 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:22 am

Johndog,

Good post! Which Boss pedal are you referring to SD-1 or DS-1. It's also the same scenario with myself. That is one reason I chose Orange as my amp of choice, recently. I like Orange's idea of what gain should sound like. It's also handy to know the proper and most effective usage of distortion pedals, too.

adkguy07

OrangeBoy
Tiny Terror

Post by OrangeBoy » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:23 pm

An Orange amp set to breakup when the strings are hit hard combined with a DS-1 produces an awesome buzz free fat juicy distortion. It's possibly my favourite tone ever. For me it works with an OR15, CR60, Micro Dark and Micro Terror. I wasn't a fan of the DS-1 until I tried it with my Orange amps.

beppe

Post by beppe » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:30 pm

I use a Tubescreamer Mini with my Rocker 15. Sounds superb!

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:37 pm

beppe wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:30 pm
I use a Tubescreamer Mini with my Rocker 15. Sounds superb!
I use a variant (Digitech Hardwire CM-2 tube overdrive) with my AD15, RV50 and R30 too. The tube screamer circuit really is an overdrive though.
I like that it blends well with amps clean or already overdriven.

Never had a distortion - may be I'll have to try one or try my BMP clone with similar cleanish settings.

I can only get that one working in the clean channels if the RV50 and R30.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute