OR120 clean sound at lower volumes for small stages

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Fuhgawz

OR120 clean sound at lower volumes for small stages

Post by Fuhgawz » Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:03 pm

TLDR version: I'm not always allowed to set the volume of my 90s RI OR120 to where it sounds good on the small stages I've been playing lately. Which amp head gives me a similar warm clean tone on more controllable volumes for sensible cash? TH30? Something else?

Long version: I own an Orange OR120 90s RI with added master volume. I love that amp! It's been the only amp that I used in bands since I bought it about ten years ago. One of its disadvantages is that it needs to be quite loud to sound good. You can only turn down the gain and MV so much without it sounding dull. During my band rehearsals I can tame it just enough without sacrificing the sound much (Gain 9:00, MV 14:00 is about as far down as I can go). My current band has started gigging small stages lately and we have been asked several times by the sound guys to turn the volume down, sometimes significantly. I obviously follow instructions like a good boy, but this got me thinking that my beloved amp might not be the optimal amp for me anymore. I can barely get it to behave/sound the way I want during rehearsals and for the types of small stages we are playing with current noise laws it turns out to be just too loud.

So the obvious question here is: which amp head can get me close to the dark but sparkly fat sound of a clean OR120 that crunches so nicely in the low mids when you dig in and stays clear if you don't, but at a more sensible volume level that is suitable for small stages and rehearsal spaces?

I've been looking at the OR15, but I suspect it won't have the clean headroom I need when playing my dropped B humbucker guitar. Then I looked at the TH30. Many reviews praise its clean channel, but I'm not sure if the character is too far from the OR120's sound. Any suggestions?

To be clear: I'm not looking for a home practice amp, not looking to spend lots of money and I'm not a tone purist who wants to nail an exact sound. I'm just a normal guy with a regular job and an evening/weekend post rock/metal band who wants to come to close to that sound at volume levels that are practical. If I can get 80% to 90% there for around €1000 or prefereably less I will be happy. Thanks!

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Re: OR120 clean sound at lower volumes for small stages

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:11 pm

Hi, what about an attenuator ? Less efficient speakers....also make more difference than you might think ...if either bought 2nd hand then if they don't work you can resell and nothing lost.
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,
Fender elite Start, Gibson SG 61,fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Rocker 30

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:22 pm

I was thinking attenuator as well. Maybe a Rocker 30 if you can find one.

LD50
Tiny Terror

Post by LD50 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:22 pm

Get a decent attenuator and everyone will be happy.

Fuhgawz

Post by Fuhgawz » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:27 am

Are you guys sure about this? I already added a MV. Will MV + attenuator not impact the sound just as negatively as just turning the MV further down? Plus, they are very expensive and only seem be fixed for one ohmage, which could cause issues when playing backline cabs.

Which attenuator do you recommend for OR120?

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:57 am

With the attenuator you dont need the MV. You can operate the amp where it sounds good. A MV doesnt allow the power amp to work at its best if turned down too much. Its one of those things you just have to try to know if you like it or not. Plenty out there, THD Hot Plate, Jet City (Les Paul Lover seems to like this one).

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:16 pm

Jondog wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:57 am
With the attenuator you dont need the MV. You can operate the amp where it sounds good. A MV doesnt allow the power amp to work at its best if turned down too much. Its one of those things you just have to try to know if you like it or not. Plenty out there, THD Hot Plate, Jet City (Les Paul Lover seems to like this one).

I reallymlike the jet city jettuanator, but I think it's only rated up to 80 or 100w. Otherwise, it's a great choice, as it has 4, 8 and 16ohms input. I like the rotary potentiometer as well, instead of fixed settings (-3db, -6db....).

I played out my RV50 again sunday night with it, it's great to have. I had it set pretty loud.

I see that Harley Benton (Thomann's own brand, have ripped it off with a 100w capacity. No idea if it's any good though.

Otherwise, the R30 recommendation isn't a bad one. Andy has often said commented on how similar he finds it to his OR120.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Tisca
Tiny Terror

Post by Tisca » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:51 pm

I see that Harley Benton (Thomann's own brand, have ripped it off with a 100w capacity. No idea if it's any good though.
It's great, would not buy a more expensive one. I have the old HB version which is a Jettenuator clone (80W). I want to upgrade to the new 100W HB but it's long before they have any in stock. I have this White/Matamp without a MV that's too much for the 80W one. Thomann's yt channel did a comparison with Jettenuator and other attenuators, there you can hear how good it sounds.
Orange OR100
White LW100

Gladmarr
Orange Master

Post by Gladmarr » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:18 am

Have you looked into the mod that yossarian83 made to create a 20 watt OR120? Seems like it might be worth exploring. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=51492

Dark Helmet
Orange Master

Post by Dark Helmet » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:07 pm

Attenuator would be my first suggestion as well. my TV50 has one and that single fact makes it the most used amp I own, it's better at sane volumes than even the OR15 set to half-power.

an old R30 would be my next suggestion (as others have said)... it just sounds GOOD. no matter how you set the knobs, both channels are DYNAMITE.
Dark Lord of the Schwartz
AD15/12
AD30TC
AD50
AD140
Thunderverb50

2016 Gibson LP Standard
2012 Gibson LP Classic Custom
2017 Gibson Firebird Studio T
Epi Les Paul (used to be) Standard
2018 Taylor 616CE

fiveightandten
Orange Master

Post by fiveightandten » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:51 pm

Nothing Orange has made in the last 20 years sounds like an OR-120. If you want the sound of that amp, get an attenuator. I can highly recommend the Fryette Power Station V2. I use one with my OR-80. I play the amp literally on 10, and use the attenuator to control the volume. There's a video below of how it sounds in my rag tag cover band, playing a ****** bar.

The Power Station is very expensive, and it's somewhat cumbersome (requires power, and has tubes). but it just plain works, and works very well. I sold my last OR-80 because it was too loud for the situation, and I regretted it. I bought another, and bought the Power Station, and I'm happy to be using one again. For best OR-120 sound, get the master volume out of it and use it with an attenuator. Of course, nothing beats just using the amp naturally, but they're crazy loud like that. It's just not feasible these days. The Power Station in the next best thing, IMO. For an attenuator on a budget, I'd pick up an SPL Reducer

That being said, there are many many other alternatives out there. We live in a time when there are more amazing amps on the market than ever, from many companies, many at very reasonable prices. The AD30 is also a VERY nice sounding amp. I have one of those as well and it's great. It doesn't sound anything like an OR-120, but it's a great amp for warm tones, and it has Orange tolex.

I'm on the left, you're hearing all OR-80
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_aQBe ... lFQaEJEaU0
'71 GRO100 || '96 OR-80 || AD30 || '64 AC-50 || AC-30TBX || Hiwatt DR504 || HI-TONE HT30
LP Standard || LP Studio || LP Custom Lite || Ric 620 || Ric 360 || MIA Tele || SG 61 RI

Snapjaw79

Post by Snapjaw79 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:20 am

Pull out the 2 outside power tubes.
Orange or15
Orange or100
1973 Laney Supergroup
1973? Sunn model T 1st gen
70's Traynor ygl-3 Mkiii
orange and marshall cabs
Sg's and Les Paul's.
and some fenders.

LD50
Tiny Terror

Post by LD50 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:01 pm

Snapjaw79 wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:20 am
Pull out the 2 outside power tubes.
Why?
Only trims a tiny amount of volume, just gives a bit more compression and you would have to run the amp on 8ohm setting into 16 ohm load

Snapjaw79

Post by Snapjaw79 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:20 pm

It's not about making the amp quieter at high volume settings, it's about getting better tones at lower volume settings. I find that some amps react and sound better this way. It's all personal preference.
Orange or15
Orange or100
1973 Laney Supergroup
1973? Sunn model T 1st gen
70's Traynor ygl-3 Mkiii
orange and marshall cabs
Sg's and Les Paul's.
and some fenders.

LD50
Tiny Terror

Post by LD50 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:31 pm

Snapjaw79 wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:20 pm
It's not about making the amp quieter at high volume settings, it's about getting better tones at lower volume settings. I find that some amps react and sound better this way. It's all personal preference.
Yes of course. I personally find a good atenuator works for most of my amps (including my '73 OR120). I feel uncomfortable pulling tubes on 4 pot amps (silly I know as the voltages on the remaining tubes are not excessive and you can maintain the load on the OT with selector switching) but I personally do not find that it makes much difference. Similarly when I have tried THD Yellow jackets they lowered the volume but changed the tone too much. Master volumes can help (pre- or post PI- to taste) but when they are really screwed down all you are getting is preamp distortion and the output section is at tick over, fine if your preamp sounds good cranked.
I have x3 different attenuators, a THD Hotplate 16ohm, a Sequis Motherload Elemental and an Alex Attenuator. The best for the Orange is the Alex IMO but the Sequis is great with MV marshalls and the Hotplate I tend to use for testing or mild (-4 or -8dB) attenuation as it does muffle the tone at more than this but still sounds better than the amp turned down and using a dirt pedal (again IMO).