NGD. Les Paul

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Rozz
Tiny Terror

NGD. Les Paul

Post by Rozz » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:49 am

Hi All,
I have just bought a 2017 Gibson Les Paul Traditional, Antique Burst and following on from Johnnyblues Les Paul pickup post (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=55809); I thought I would mention a few observations. I had a Classic 57 and 57+ loaded Traditional a few years ago but didn’t really like the sound with my TH30C. I found it a bit dark and muddy (for my liking). I wanted to try as many models as I could in the same store but being a “Lefty” it is sometimes difficult to find a store with many to try. Also, I wanted to “try” not to have any preconceptions and was not interested in what it looked like, just that it played and sounded good. Luckily, the Camden guitarguitar had a few models and a couple of each of some of the models. I tried the Studio (498T and 490R), Classis (Classic 57+ and 57) and Traditional (Burstbucker 2 and Burstbucker 1). I didn’t want to try a Standard as at £2000, they are too much. I found a Classic and Traditional that really felt nice to play (I did not like the Studio, it just didn’t feel or play good in my hands, so didn’t actually hear the Studio through an amp) and then plugged in to hear them. I played through a TH30 head and Friedman V30 Loaded 2x12cab. The Classic with the 57’s, was a bit dark, but I didn’t feel it was muddy this time and the 57+ seemed a bit more edgy and aggressive (in a good way) than I remembered. The Traditional with the Burstbuckers really rocked for me though. Brighter and even more aggressive sounding, but I could get a really good clean sound as well rolling the volume back and a nice mellow tone on the neck using the tone control. So I got the Traditional. Nice finish, this one was very “lemony”, almost a Lemon Burst. I like it. They delivered it the next day. I was a bit worried that it would actually sound different through my kit, but through the TH30c (G12H Anniversary speaker) with an Orange 1 x 12 (V30), it sounded great. Through the TH30c alone, it sounded a bit cleaner, but still great. I guess that was to be expected with the G12H speaker. Through the CR120 and 2 1x12’s, it sounds great as well and with the greater headroom, the cleans sound fabulous. I’m very happy. Not gigging at the moment though, old band gone, but, just about to get together with some old players from the past, so that should be good.
Cheers. Phil
Gibson Les Paul Traditional, Classic and Tribute. Fender American Standard Strat, Fender MIM Tele, Taylor GS Mini
Orange TH30c with G12H30 Anniversary speaker, 2xOrange PPC112 cabs
Roland Blues Cube Artist. CR120H. Dual Terror

Dunky
Orange Expert

Re: NGD. Les Paul

Post by Dunky » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:45 am

The buerstbucker 1 and 2 is a nice set. I have a 2006 Les Paul classic that I put them in. 😊 Did have the Slash alnico set in before but found the neck too muddy, think the weight of the guitar was a factor.

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:53 pm

Where are the pics????

I want to see that finish, it sounds like a very pretty axe!!!
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Rozz
Tiny Terror

Post by Rozz » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:00 am

Les Paul Lover wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:53 pm
Where are the pics????

I want to see that finish, it sounds like a very pretty axe!!!
Yes it is called Antique Burst, but the finishes seem to vary a lot. What do people use these days for pics? I tried photobucket several months ago but my Norton security kept saying it wasn't secure. I see some people have problems now with photobucket too. I have never shared pics before. Phil.
Gibson Les Paul Traditional, Classic and Tribute. Fender American Standard Strat, Fender MIM Tele, Taylor GS Mini
Orange TH30c with G12H30 Anniversary speaker, 2xOrange PPC112 cabs
Roland Blues Cube Artist. CR120H. Dual Terror

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:29 am

I use imgur now.

Photobucket is banning photo hosting to share pics.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Dark Helmet
Orange Master

Post by Dark Helmet » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:10 pm

LP + Orange... it's the only way to roll (see sig...)
Dark Lord of the Schwartz
AD15/12
AD30TC
AD50
AD140
Thunderverb50

2016 Gibson LP Standard
2012 Gibson LP Classic Custom
2017 Gibson Firebird Studio T
Epi Les Paul (used to be) Standard
2018 Taylor 616CE