Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

PBA
Rocker

Re: Exciting..... and frustrating!!!!

Post by PBA » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:23 pm

Les Paul Lover wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:24 am
..With those tools, it's really pretty easy. Just time consuming. Between prepping the neck, levelling, crowing, polishing, cleaning, reassembling, stringing, setting the action and intonation, it was around 2h30 / 2h45.

Time very well spent.
Another good job!

Many people don't understand the work involved.
Shops appear to charge rates of between £60 and £120 for a full fret dress. Three hours at minimum wage (£7.50) = £22.50 - Double that to allow for shop overheads etc = £45.00 (for a small shop, double might be quite low), then add on sandpaper, tape and tool wear - say at least a tenner. That's £55.00. Personally, I'd be wanting somebody with a bit of experience and they might be wanting a bit more than minimum wage too...

Clearly shops CAN make money doing this type of work and a privateer working from home certainly could. It's always better to be able to do it yourself. I used to do it for the fun and a pint!

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:45 pm

PBA wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:23 pm
Les Paul Lover wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:24 am
..With those tools, it's really pretty easy. Just time consuming. Between prepping the neck, levelling, crowing, polishing, cleaning, reassembling, stringing, setting the action and intonation, it was around 2h30 / 2h45.

Time very well spent.
Another good job!

Many people don't understand the work involved.
Shops appear to charge rates of between £60 and £120 for a full fret dress. Three hours at minimum wage (£7.50) = £22.50 - Double that to allow for shop overheads etc = £45.00 (for a small shop, double might be quite low), then add on sandpaper, tape and tool wear - say at least a tenner. That's £55.00. Personally, I'd be wanting somebody with a bit of experience and they might be wanting a bit more than minimum wage too...

Clearly shops CAN make money doing this type of work and a privateer working from home certainly could. It's always better to be able to do it yourself. I used to do it for the fun and a pint!

Somebody who does a fret level for £60 hasn't got much in it for himself.

Preparing the guitar took almosy as long as doing the work. Removing the strings, straightening the neck, taping the neck.....

The actual levelling and crowning doesn't as long as taping up The neck properly!!!!
I've enjoyed doing it though.

I'm can see a few if my friends pushing their instruments my way in the future..... for a pint!!!!! :lol:
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:48 pm

Hubaxe wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:56 am
Well done Ant,

It's always good to be able to work by yourself on guitars, save a lot of £ and give the satisfaction of achievement.
Indeed.
I've really enjoyed the learning and getting 2 instruments the best they can be has been great too.

And now I e got the tools and know how, it opens the doors to more instruments in the future....... :mrgreen:
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute