Spankin' New Dark Terror Due Soon

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

adkguy07
Rocker

Spankin' New Dark Terror Due Soon

Post by adkguy07 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:55 pm

After much soul-searching, I came up with a brilliant notion. I ordered a new Dark Terror to swap back and forth with my Micro Dark. The reviews and answers to my inquiries in forums by knowledgeable owners of Orange amps has made my decision easier. It will be my first all tube amp that I've had since the early 1990s. The last amp that I can remember sounding a bit like these current Oranges was a Trace-Velocette just before Gibson bought them.

Yes, yes, I know that the Dark Terror is all about the gain from reviews that I've read and re-read from satisfied users. What I really pay attention to though are the few reviews that mention its' less gritty tones; bordering on the amp's clean capabilities. Yes, they write about "clean". as if it were not quite there as a "clean". I'm not after the Fender type, but the Orange type ensconced in a bit of that characteristic "chime" that Oranges can produce. I'm not quite sure of what will happen to my familiar Micro Dark tone which I like and have grown accustomed to, albeit a touch of that solid stateness some say that that little ampi has. I'm thinking the DT tone will be similar, but a bit smoother.

I'll post back here when it's up and operating with my PPC112; the same cab I use with the Micro Dark. At least I don't have to worry that the speaker will detract from the DT tone, it is now well broken in and much more refined than when I started using it a year ago.

adkguy07
Last edited by adkguy07 on Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

langmurf
Rocker

Re: Spankin' New Dark Terror Due Soon

Post by langmurf » Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:10 am

Congrats on the buy. I bet you will have some fun “real soon now.”
Orange Rocker 15 Combo, Orange Two Stroke
2007 Gibson Melody Maker; Cort Steinberger

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:57 pm

I'll be curious to know if you still see some use for your micro dark once you get the dark terror.

I think it will do all your micro dark does..... just better. Let us know what you think once you get it!!!
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

adkguy07
Rocker

Post by adkguy07 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:03 pm

Les Paul Lover wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:57 pm
I'll be curious to know if you still see some use for your micro dark once you get the dark terror.

I think it will do all your micro dark does..... just better. Let us know what you think once you get it!!!
Boy! I sure hope so. I enjoy the Micro Dark, but it does give off solid state vibes at times. The best use I have found for myself is one and that involves playing my Les Paul entirely by the pick and fingers approach. I sort of "squeeze" notes and 3-note triads out of my Lester.....same with a Strat. The Micro Dark is not great to use to bash chords and rhythm work on. I use the gain control around 11 o'clock and go for a chimey tone. It works fine for that.

I've had my thoughts set on the Dark Terror for months, but was not quite ready to commit to it until the V30 speaker in my Orange cab broke in finally this summer. I'll keep all interested parties up to date on this Dark Terror.

adkguy07

adkguy07
Rocker

Post by adkguy07 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:08 pm

Les Paul Lover wrote:

The Dark Terror arrived this morning. I haven't had a proper session with as yet, but after setting up atop my PPC112, I had a few introductory moments with it. Yes, tube tone is so much more refined and natural sounding than solid state or hybrid like my tiny Micro Dark. The Dark Terror at 15 watts is, so far, quite useable for my practice room at home. Of course, I won't be able to crank it for power tube distortion, but what I hear initially leads me to believe that I made the right decision after much optimism first and then doubt after. Even though I'm not a Metal player, there is plenty of chime and crunch to explore inside this 15-watt head. Hats off to Orange and their design people from this guy; for a wonderful sounding and practical amp.

I'll still keep the Micro Dark because I've got that amp figured out and although It's not a full tube
amp, I know how to "disguise" the solid state aspects and produce a smooth tone from it.

adkguy07

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:51 pm

adkguy07 wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:08 pm
Les Paul Lover wrote:

The Dark Terror arrived this morning. I haven't had a proper session with as yet, but after setting up atop my PPC112, I had a few introductory moments with it. Yes, tube tone is so much more refined and natural sounding than solid state or hybrid like my tiny Micro Dark. The Dark Terror at 15 watts is, so far, quite useable for my practice room at home. Of course, I won't be able to crank it for power tube distortion, but what I hear initially leads me to believe that I made the right decision after much optimism first and then doubt after. Even though I'm not a Metal player, there is plenty of chime and crunch to explore inside this 15-watt head. Hats off to Orange and their design people from this guy; for a wonderful sounding and practical amp.

I'll still keep the Micro Dark because I've got that amp figured out and although It's not a full tube
amp, I know how to "disguise" the solid state aspects and produce a smooth tone from it.

adkguy07

My guess is that your dark terror will so everything your micro dark does better....

Glad you're liking it so far. They're nice amps, and their tight, biting hard rock, blues tone are underrated.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

adkguy07
Rocker

Post by adkguy07 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:42 pm

Les Paul Lover wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:51 pm
adkguy07 wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:08 pm
Les Paul Lover wrote:

adkguy07

My guess is that your dark terror will so everything your micro dark does better....

Glad you're liking it so far. They're nice amps, and their tight, biting hard rock, blues tone are underrated.

Interesting that you use the word "underrated". I agree with that term for the Dark Terror and it's not the first time that I've read in reviews of this amp. The other term I've seen is misunderstood.
I have played it this past week with the gain side and although it's all there for Metal & Hard Rock, I toned it down for Classic Rock, Pop, and some Blues/R&B. It's not an amp that I'd refer to as a one trick amp by any stretch of the term. My tastes in music these days begins with Page and (currently) Tim Sult of Clutch. Both players have used Orange amps as well as Marshall. They get great tones with either, but I like their Orange tones. This is one reason I chose Orange and in particular, the Dark Terror. The other reason is that I prefer single ended amps and Orange's way of amp design appeals to me.

adkguy07

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:01 pm

I think he's lying. No Dark Terror to be seen.

adkguy07
Rocker

Post by adkguy07 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:59 pm

One thing I have found already is a dodgy gain pot on this Dark Terror. It's strange in that
it is scratchy from 10:00 o'clock to 2:00 o'clock, but only in 7 1/2 watt mode; not in 15 watt?!
if I gently push in on the knob, I can hear it also. Could this really be the gain pot, or would it be preamp tube-related? Curious. The amp is new and under warranty.

adkguy07

pedecamp
Orange Hero

Post by pedecamp » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:00 pm

adkguy07 wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:59 pm
One thing I have found already is a dodgy gain pot on this Dark Terror. It's strange in that
it is scratchy from 10:00 o'clock to 2:00 o'clock, but only in 7 1/2 watt mode; not in 15 watt?!
if I gently push in on the knob, I can hear it also. Could this really be the gain pot, or would it be preamp tube-related? Curious. The amp is new and under warranty.

adkguy07
See if your vender has another one and just swap it out. Otherwise I'd lubricate the pot and see if that fixes it. Whats the date of manufacture, it could have been sitting on a warehouse shelf for several years without decent climate control, could make a pot scratchy.
Thunderverb 50

adkguy07
Rocker

Post by adkguy07 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:43 pm

I did contact the vendor, after I researched this on other forums. It seems that the OR15 as well as this Dark Model is prone to this gain pot noise. One source wrote that they did receive a replacement amp (0R15) but it also had the same noise. They decided to keep the 2nd. despite that.
He's beginning to think that it might be normal in the 7 watt mode (not the 15watt mode). Others chimed in about this saying that it could electron leakage from some tubes as the gain knob effect is increased. Then again, it may be a less than perfect batch of those double ganged gain pots that are the reason.

I like this Dark Terror and don't want to return it for his one "fault";especially if a replacement amp might also exhibit this, too. I just hope it's not causing difficulty elsewhere in the amp circuits, resulting in even more trouble in the near future. My vendor's tech person told me yesterday that some amps (not exclusively Orange) that he is familiar with also have presence controls that are noisy when actived.

adkguy07

murkofaeons
Tiny Terror

Post by murkofaeons » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:28 pm

I've never had that problem with my OR15 and I play it mostly in the 7w mode. Hopefully some deoxit will take away the scratchiness on your dark terror!

adkguy07
Rocker

Post by adkguy07 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:02 pm

murkofaeons wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:28 pm
I've never had that problem with my OR15 and I play it mostly in the 7w mode. Hopefully some deoxit will take away the scratchiness on your dark terror!
It's a decent idea, but pots are not easily accessed for that. From my research on this issue with the gain control when in 7-watt mode, it's beginning to look like it may be normal and more of the circuit's design than any other reason. It may be a tube or tubes or a run of bad double-ganged pots!? It is interesting in that it's not present in 15-watt mode. Under normal playing, it does not really present any problems; of course if I were to constantly be reaching tomturn the gain control in 7-watt mode, it would be an issue. How many of us (realistically) play like that? I just find my favorite place for the gain control and leave it there.

adkguy07