Time for my first orange amp, but suggestions needed!!

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

DenzelDizzler

Time for my first orange amp, but suggestions needed!!

Post by DenzelDizzler » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:04 am

Hi folks,

Been following for a while, and have read a ton recently but need a little help deciding.

I've decided I definitely want an orange, I've done most of the other brands and am currently using modelling as I'm abroad so it's easy to throw my amplifire in my suit case, but want a new "proper amp".

Basically money isn't too much of a problem as I've been working hard and it's time to treat myself nice!

I'm basically looking for one killer amp that I can use at home, and then gig with once I get a new band together. So it's super important to have enough power to play live with and get good bedroom/to loud TV living room volume.

I'm abroad now, so can't try any amps till I'm back, but GASS has me bad right now so researching and getting some opinions until I can go try some out.

I think I've narrowed it down to either the full fat rockerverb 50 mkiii or the cheaper alternative of a cr120h.

Like I said, I'm not too worried about money, I'm more of the mind set, buy right, buy once.

Let me me know your thoughts on these two, or perhaps something else, but I'm pretty sure I've narrowed it down to these (two channels, clean headroom etc) but now sure which is more flexible volume wise, and if the rockerverb is worth the extra money.

Sorry for the overly long post!

Any feedback well appreciated! A

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Re: Time for my first orange amp, but suggestions needed!!

Post by Jondog » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:19 am

I vote Rockerverb. Its a really nice treat.

DenzelDizzler

Post by DenzelDizzler » Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:15 am

Haha, got a feeling a few people might say that! Have you much experience with either of the amps? If so how flexible are the master volumes/attenuators?

No doubt they'll sound fantastic cranked, and be great for gigs/rehearsals , but any good in my apartment without annoying my girlfriend!?

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:12 am

Hi...OK so your choices are either one of the cheapest or one of the most expensive amps in the lineup???

Thats makes no sense to me....I think help is required......

I think you need to decide a few things:-

1) What is your budget?...if money is no object then just but the RVmk111.
2) At the minute your not playing in a band....you dont actually know you'll get a band together so maybe you should consider the Rocker 15 ? which has a bedroom mode and then get a bigger amp once the band is together?
3) Try a Rocker 30...only available 2nd hand though, no effects loop if you need one.
4)How portable do you need it?.....The RVmk111 is a lot heavier than the CR120.

There is no substitute for going to an Orange dealer and trying a few out.
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,
Fender elite Start, Gibson SG 61,fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Rocker 30

DenzelDizzler

Post by DenzelDizzler » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:12 am

Haha, agreed that that seems quite strange! However, when I look into some of the other models there's normally something that puts me off. The rocker 15 for example is a 10" cab, not the end of the world, but would rather a head and 12" speakers (very tempting though, as it ticks a lot of boxes). Or15 is single channel. Th30 has a more limited EQ section, perhaps less flexible volume wise.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not going to drop that much money on an amp without trying them out, I'm just curious how people find them in terms of volume flexibility. If they are as good as some people make out, I only need one amp, and saves buying and flipping more gear!

MikeD
Orange Expert

Post by MikeD » Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:48 am

I´m gunna say RV....but I´m bias as f**k :lol: :lol:

Find some orange bands, see what they use and find your tone, that´s what I did. After listening to enough Blackberry Smoke playing live concerts on you-tube I knew the RV 50 mkII was the tone I was looking for and my amp quest was over.

....Or just do like other members here and purchase multiple oranges ...just to be on the safe side :lol: :lol:
Gibson: Angus Young SG 03 / LP Standard 05 / Firebird V 01
Orange: RV50 mkII & ppc212-c / Micro Dark & ppc112 / TH30 Combo

fiveightandten
Orange Master

Post by fiveightandten » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:43 pm

IMO, we can't really make valid recommendations without knowing what kind of sounds you're going for, and what kind of features you want/need.

-What kinds of tones do you want? High gain? Classic rock crunch? Something tight? Something loose? Edge of breakup? Do you need squeaky clean, clean tones? Do you use or plan to use pedals? Do you use the guitar volume knob?

-Do you need channel switching?

-Do you need reverb?

-Do you need an effects loop?

-Do you have a cabinet? Do you prefer a combo? Do you need to buy a cabinet if you buy a head?

-What guitar(s) are you using?

-Are you willing to buy used, or do you want to stick with something brand new?

Without knowing this stuff, people will just be shouting their favorite amp out.

-Nick
'71 GRO100 || '96 OR-80 || AD30 || '64 AC-50 || AC-30TBX || Hiwatt DR504 || HI-TONE HT30
LP Standard || LP Studio || LP Custom Lite || Ric 620 || Ric 360 || MIA Tele || SG 61 RI

DenzelDizzler

Post by DenzelDizzler » Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:57 am

Yeah, my bad. Maybe my thread isn't clear enough.

So I narrowed my choices down to CR120H , CR60 , RV30 MKiii (of course I'm not expecting the crush pro to send like a flagship tube amp.)

My choice is based on them all having two channels, (mostly) full and separate eq on each channel, and some clean head room in case I ever want to go down the pedal route later (there are some nice miab type pedals these days).

What I'm interested in is how they compare volume wise, and which is more flexible in terms of great tones at suitable volumes, from living room, to rehearsal, to gigs.

I guess the point is what's better attenuator MV tube amp vs solid state master volume.

Like I said before I'll check them out when I'm back in England but you know how it is when you get fixated on gear!

Appreciate all the feedback so far folks!

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:26 am

I still vote Rockerverb. If you have the money and want it, get it. It'll do everything you want from an Orange.

DenzelDizzler

Post by DenzelDizzler » Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:45 am

I'm sure it will!

The only consideration I have is with the attenuation and MV how's does it compare with solid state?

I guess because I'm coming from digital modelling I don't have much experience with high powered amps and low volume. It's a strength of modeling I guess, but I'm done with menu's and LCD screens!

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:07 am

Tubes sound best when they're cooking, but I thought the Rockerverb sounded at least as good as a solid state amp at low volumes. I had the MKll, so it didn't have the power options the MKlll offers.

DenzelDizzler

Post by DenzelDizzler » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:58 am

That's good to hear. The general consensus from what I can gather is that the rockerverbs have great MVs and as good as the crush pro series are, at higher volumes the difference shows more.

Also surprised at how cheap some RVs go for used.

b80
Tiny Terror

Post by b80 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:55 pm

First thing you should do is purchase an Orange Cab. Try both of the 2x12 cabs and the 4x12 cabs. Then, if money is no issue, I'd recommend a Micro Terror for home use AND a higher wattage Orange for your band. The Micro Terrors are quite inexpensive. As for which higher wattage Orange, there is no shortage of great selections (OR50, Rockerverb, TH30, AD30, the list goes on). 30 watts should be suitable for gigs. I usually gig with my Dual Terror at the 7 watt setting because I am always mic'd up going through the PA. I don't think you can go wrong with any Orange.

Good luck! Let us know what you get!
My band The Start Up
Spotify

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:10 pm

After jamming on a CR60 for an hour the other day, I would honestly recommend the CR120. The price difference between the two just isn't worth it. IMO anyway. You say this is your first Orange amps, are you used to tube amps? Or are you just starting out your amp collection?

Dark Helmet
Orange Master

Post by Dark Helmet » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:08 pm

if you want new: RV50 all day long.

if used is an option - look for a TV50... still has the attenuator, reverb, and effects-loop... and gets properly filthy.

no TRUE clean channel, however...
Dark Lord of the Schwartz
AD15/12
AD30TC
AD50
AD140
Thunderverb50

2016 Gibson LP Standard
2012 Gibson LP Classic Custom
2017 Gibson Firebird Studio T
Epi Les Paul (used to be) Standard
2018 Taylor 616CE