I sold my TTHW... sob!

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

langmurf
Rocker

I sold my TTHW... sob!

Post by langmurf » Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:33 am

And I miss it, beyond all doubt. Probably my most favorite amp out of all the amps I've owned. (I've owned ~25 tube amps over the last 5-6 years... everything from 5 Watters up to a '73 Marshall 1959. And an OR-15...)

I'm just a play at home dude... not a great guitar player, probably not even mediocre. I can do some decent rhythm work, being a drummer, but leads? Uh, no...

I make my money these days testing mobile apps remotely. The more devices one has, the more work one gets. I had to get a new iPad that will run iOS 11... my old iPad 4 won't make that cut. So I had both of my, then, amps listed on CL. The TTHW had been up on CL for months... and then, long story short, it sold.

The next day I was up at the nearest Apple Store and bought an iPad Pro 10.5" with 256GB drive.

So I'm left with my Marshall Offset 1w head/cab. It's a great amp for home playing or recording. But... it's not a TTHW.

I was running the TTHW into a PPC112. (Sold that with the amp.) I had put 6n14n's in the power slots and had a couple of nice pre-amp tubes in it.

You know how they say you don't appreciate something until it's gone? Absolutely true with the TTHW. For a 3 pot amp, it was, I thought, very versatile. Great cleans at lower levels... great classic Marshall crunch with Gain pot at 12 noon. And absolutely some of the BEST grind with the Gain pot at 3 o'clock.

And very manageable, volume wise, for home playing.

So... yes, I miss it terribly. I wish the Marshall had sold first, but, alas, that was not to be. I got my TTHW at a great price used from another forum. I will, most likely, not be able to replace it with another TTHW.

I've still got the Marshall up on CL, but after being up there for months and not getting but one or two little nibbles, I think the only way it'll move is either on Reverb or eBay.

And when it does move... it'll be replaced by a Rocker 15. Which ain't a TTHW... but it is an Orange and I've learned, the hard way, that Orange is where it's at for me.

Just sharing my thoughts...
Orange Rocker 15 Combo, Orange Two Stroke
2007 Gibson Melody Maker; Cort Steinberger

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Re: I sold my TTHW... sob!

Post by Les Paul Lover » Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:36 am

Hopefully you'll get enough testing work with that iPad to be able to buy another one soon. They come up for sale occasionally.

I'm really sorry to hear your woes - it really sucks!!!
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:17 pm

Oh dear
...unfortunately sometimes life gets in the way of playing guitar..

be patient and you'll be able to pick one up at some point.

anyway just off to play mine.....!!!
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,
Fender elite Start, Gibson SG 61,fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Rocker 30

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:11 pm

Ronnie Robinson wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:17 pm

:lol:

Not rubbing it in at all!!!! :lol:

How are you getting on with your R30?
Ant

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:19 pm

Les Paul Lover wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:11 pm
Ronnie Robinson wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:17 pm

:lol:

Not rubbing it in at all!!!! :lol:

How are you getting on with your R30?

Only joking !!!!!....it is tough when you need to sell music stuff to make a living....

I am absolutely loving the R30....the dirty channel is awesome....I've not even switched on any other amp since I bought it.

I keep thinking...I can't believe how good this sounds!!!!
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,
Fender elite Start, Gibson SG 61,fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Rocker 30

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:09 pm

That R30 dirty channel really is something special.

Whilst i love it, is still find my AD15 and RV50 easier to play in a band setting though. The R30 can sound so heavy.... even though it a meant to be a classic rock/blues amp. It does that well too, of course.

What stuff do you play in your band Ronnie? Have you played the R30 again live since you got it?
Ant

thejay
Orange Expert

Post by thejay » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:05 am

urgh man that sucks..
Oranges - R32, OR50, R30, RVMKIII, OR100, AD30, OB212, CB212 (2x)
Non Orange - Mesa, Friedman, Vox & Marshall
Former Oranges - TT, JRT, OR15, RVMKII
YouTube https://bit.ly/2pSp3sk
http://bigbattlebear.bandcamp.com

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:46 pm

I probably would have sold everything else (amp wise) and kept that amp. They are something special from what I've heard, but still far too expensive for my blood. One day though. The best part is you replaced it with a shiny overpriced piece of tech that will be outdated in a year :) The planned obsolescence is strong with this company.

I do have a question about your work though. Are you not able to run IOS in a virtual machine? For Android development, every version comes in the SDK and can be run in a VM. Does apple not have the same? This would give you access to every iteration of IOS from every device, and you could just run it on your computer. Could save a bunch of cash in the long run. Those iPad PRO's are a friggen rip off for what they are.

Sucks to be in that situation. I'm sure you will find another one down the road.

langmurf
Rocker

Post by langmurf » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:25 am

Boy_Narf wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:46 pm
I probably would have sold everything else (amp wise) and kept that amp. They are something special from what I've heard, but still far too expensive for my blood. One day though. The best part is you replaced it with a shiny overpriced piece of tech that will be outdated in a year :) The planned obsolescence is strong with this company.

I do have a question about your work though. Are you not able to run IOS in a virtual machine? For Android development, every version comes in the SDK and can be run in a VM. Does apple not have the same? This would give you access to every iteration of IOS from every device, and you could just run it on your computer. Could save a bunch of cash in the long run. Those iPad PRO's are a friggen rip off for what they are.

Sucks to be in that situation. I'm sure you will find another one down the road.
I had the Marshall first. Got it for a decent price when MF had a significant sale. I’d had my eyes out for a TTHW and one showed up on another site’s emporium for 2/3’s of the going price so I grabbed that as fast as my keyboard o=woul allow.. Turned out it had been modded from 240v to 120v. Took it to Orange (Their USA HQ is about 20 minutes away.) Tech said the work was acceptable and didn’t need to be touched.

As modded amps can be more of a challenge to sell than bone stock amps, when a buyer for the TTHW presented himself and didn’t haggle over price, I decided to let her go.

I’ve thought about giving the stock TT a shot, but the TTHW was so freakin’ great that I think a regular TT would be a let down.

As to my work... they do not authorize the use of VM’s for testing. It’s not just about the OS, all of our clients want the testing to occur on ‘real’ hardware. And it can’t be jail broken, either. I’m still running 10.3.3 on my iPad 4 but am, as of 30 minutes ago, running iOS 11 Public Beta 8 on my iPad Pro 10.5

I will say this; with it’s 4 speakers, the iPad Pro sounds much better than the single speaker iPad 4. I took my first run at GB on it tonight and it sounds pretty dang good. And I get to kill 2 birds with one stone. It’s my iOS device; don’t have to buy an iPhone. My phone is my Android device and I have a couple of Amazon devices. If I could afford more devices, I’d be building up my device library. As it stands today my Marshall amp may have to fund my next Android device. And any left-over will start a new gear fund for an Orange Rocker 15.

Pretty much what I said in the original post, just said in a slightly different manner. :P
Orange Rocker 15 Combo, Orange Two Stroke
2007 Gibson Melody Maker; Cort Steinberger