R30 Natural and Fuzz

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Jondog
Duke of Orange

R30 Natural and Fuzz

Post by Jondog » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:33 pm

Done lots of Rocker 30 threads over the years, but dont think I've ever discussed Fuzz pedals with the Natural channel. I know I've mentioned how it takes amp sim pedals like the Wampler Black 65, etc. I have a bit of trouble with some Overdrives and distortions, but I think many are designed to sound good on an amp with a tone circuit and more than one gain stage. Fuzz pedals all seem to sound awesome through the Natural channel to me. They just seem to have a "biting and ripping" sound thats more present and in your face. The dirty channel on a Rocker sounds pretty good when its set up clean and overdrives and distortions sound good, but fuzz doesnt sound as good. Its a bit softer sounding. I can't speak for the new rockers 15 and 32, but seeing as theres only one gain stage on natural, I think the power amp might have something to do with the big sound with a fuzz as well.

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Re: R30 Natural and Fuzz

Post by Les Paul Lover » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:46 am

The RV50 cl3an channel takes fuzzes extremely well too.

I'll have to experiment with the clean channel on my R30. I'm so obsessed with the dirty channel when I play it, I might have to confess I don't recall ever trying a fuzz with it...... :oops:
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

bfitz
Orange Expert

Post by bfitz » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:55 pm

I have a mammoth fuzz clone thing

and it sounds cool enough thru the R30 natural channel but i like to use it in the dirty channel with the volume up a bit and the gain up to breakup kind of territory and the thing rips

though i have to say fuzz is a world of its own that I am not au fait with. I thought the good ol big muff was fuzz but it hated the clean channell of my old RV100 and my RV50 (since departed)

I could do with a few hundred bucks and then go fuzz testing and shopping.........

Orange AD30
Groove Tubes Soul-O 75
Orange PPC 212 OB
Boss Nextone 40
Fender CIJ Pink Paisley Tele
Fender Classic Player Strat 50s
Yamaha SA1200s
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG Jnr

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:29 pm

bfitz wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:55 pm
I have a mammoth fuzz clone thing

and it sounds cool enough thru the R30 natural channel but i like to use it in the dirty channel with the volume up a bit and the gain up to breakup kind of territory and the thing rips

though i have to say fuzz is a world of its own that I am not au fait with. I thought the good ol big muff was fuzz but it hated the clean channell of my old RV100 and my RV50 (since departed)

I could do with a few hundred bucks and then go fuzz testing and shopping.........
I built a woolly mammoth clone a while back, that is a super cool fuzz. I built it for my niece.

I have 3 clone I've done for myself, one of them is a BMP clone, but I've tweaked the eq values to have a slight mid boosy rather than scooped mids, and it plays fantastic on the RV50. Mind you, the diode and transistors I've out in are close the black arts pharao specs too.

Really neat!
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

onetracker
Rocker

Post by onetracker » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:36 pm

this is a very timely thread for me.

first off, i've searched for a fuzz that worked for my current style for a few years. had my big muff back in college but my playing has evolved since then. burned thru a bunch of fuzz's and spent some $$$ and lost my shirt in the process. finally found one that i love. it doesn't matter which one it is cuz that's something we have to decide for ourselves. this one (jhs firefly) is designed around a bias pot which essentially gives the user many different pedals in one. with this versatility i can use it with different amps, guitars, pickups, compressors and still make it sound f#$ing awesome.

so in this forum i've said disparaging things about the natural channel on my r30. the dirt channel is excellent and the more i play it the more i love it. i just rolled in a pair of gold lion kt77's and holy #$%+ what a difference - very plexi-ish. so after reading this thread this morning i decided to crank the natural channel with the new fuzz and it sounds ridiculous. i gotta carve out some time and get together with my mates and air this sucker out. my complaints about the lack of volume can be solved with a boost pedal. exactly what many of you have said here for years.

ok so i'm a little slow...

OT
what can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:30 pm

Jondog wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:33 pm
Done lots of Rocker 30 threads over the years, but dont think I've ever discussed Fuzz pedals with the Natural channel. I know I've mentioned how it takes amp sim pedals like the Wampler Black 65, etc. I have a bit of trouble with some Overdrives and distortions, but I think many are designed to sound good on an amp with a tone circuit and more than one gain stage. Fuzz pedals all seem to sound awesome through the Natural channel to me. They just seem to have a "biting and ripping" sound thats more present and in your face. The dirty channel on a Rocker sounds pretty good when its set up clean and overdrives and distortions sound good, but fuzz doesnt sound as good. Its a bit softer sounding. I can't speak for the new rockers 15 and 32, but seeing as theres only one gain stage on natural, I think the power amp might have something to do with the big sound with a fuzz as well.

So having just reacquainted myself with an R30 ......the dirty channel is great....what fuzz pedals do you guys recommend for the natural channel?
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,
Fender elite Start, Gibson SG 61,fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Rocker 30

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:57 pm

Big Muff, fuzz face and all those variations

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:13 am

Jondog wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:57 pm
Big Muff, fuzz face and all those variations
Ta
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:09 am

onetracker wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:36 pm

...so in this forum i've said disparaging things about the natural channel on my r30. the dirt channel is excellent and the more i play it the more i love it. i just rolled in a pair of gold lion kt77's and holy #$%+ what a difference - very plexi-ish. so after reading this thread this morning i decided to crank the natural channel with the new fuzz and it sounds ridiculous. i gotta carve out some time and get together with my mates and air this sucker out. my complaints about the lack of volume can be solved with a boost pedal. exactly what many of you have said here for years.

ok so i'm a little slow...

OT
Better late than never!!!

Yeah the bare bones 'Natural' channel isn't a natural for everyone, but I rate it just as highly as the Drive channel. Maybe though because it is so bare bones the choice of power valves has more influence on how it sounds, never really considered that. Still running mine with the JJ 6CA7s it came stock with. Still loving what they do for the amp.

Now you'll get to find just how well switching between the channels can work too - another real bonus with this amp! (Hint, when running a boost for the Natural channel you can slightly lower settings on the drive channel to compensate. You don't always need to switch it in and out when swapping channels, but can of course for even more versatility!!!) :D

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:40 am

Talking about boosts for the R30 ......used the exotic ep booster with mine last week , wow! works excellent with both channels.
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,

onetracker
Rocker

Post by onetracker » Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:35 pm

Ronnie Robinson wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:40 am
Talking about boosts for the R30 ......used the exotic ep booster with mine last week , wow! works excellent with both channels.
yeah I've been considering that one...
what can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:43 pm

Ronnie Robinson wrote:
Use my EP booster clone all the time, love it. Especially with volume all the way down and just as an 'always on' pedal. Livens things up. The RC booster is great too.

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:19 am

Jondog wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:43 pm
Ronnie Robinson wrote:
Use my EP booster clone all the time, love it. Especially with volume all the way down and just as an 'always on' pedal. Livens things up. The RC booster is great too.
Yep couldn't agree more the natural just sounds so much more alive using the EP booster this way.
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,