Lead Boost pedal for JRT.

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Gordy G
Tiny Terror

Lead Boost pedal for JRT.

Post by Gordy G » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:04 am

This may sound an odd question,considering the Gain available from a JRT,but I need a Lead/Boost pedal,that will give me a step(or 2) further than the MXR micro I use at present,but doesn't overtake the Tone of the Amp.
Any suggestions?,please.

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Re: Lead Boost pedal for JRT.

Post by Jondog » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:04 am

I would look into overdrives rather than boosts. I find too much boost ends up sounding sloppy. Something like an OCD or BB Preamp.

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:26 am

it's a common problem and not made any easier by having a small valve amp. Any boost you get will depend on how much gain your already using and how loud your playing it may be regardless what you try you get very little volume boost.

I have a similar problem with my TTHW its all about headroom and gain but definitely try the OCD will gain low and volume high and can give a good boost.....depending on the factors above.
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,
Fender elite Start, Gibson SG 61,fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Rocker 30

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:06 pm

I use an out of production digitech Hardwire CM-2 tube overdrive or a SHO clone on my RV50 dirty channel with good results.

I get a lot more gain than volume boost though - something to hear in mind. If you really need the volume, try sticking your boost in the fx loop.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Dark Helmet
Orange Master

Post by Dark Helmet » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:21 pm

Gordy G wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:04 am
This may sound an odd question,considering the Gain available from a JRT,but I need a Lead/Boost pedal,that will give me a step(or 2) further than the MXR micro I use at present,but doesn't overtake the Tone of the Amp.
Any suggestions?,please.
Are you looking for more Volume or more Gain?

that's really the question IMO... until that is answered, hard to say really.
Dark Lord of the Schwartz
AD15/12
AD30TC
AD50
AD140
Thunderverb50

2016 Gibson LP Standard
2012 Gibson LP Classic Custom
2017 Gibson Firebird Studio T
Epi Les Paul (used to be) Standard
2018 Taylor 616CE

pedecamp
Orange Hero

Post by pedecamp » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:41 pm

Gordy G wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:04 am
Any suggestions?,please.
Any pedal through your fx loop that has a volume knob on it will do, any OD or EQ pedal for instance, even your MXR micro, just set the gain and volume on the pedal where you need it to get the volume boost and amount of lead gain you may desire.
Thunderverb 50

Gordy G
Tiny Terror

Post by Gordy G » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:17 pm

I'll try & explain a little better what i'm trying to achieve.
I'm using a JRT for pub gigs,i've have it set with volume on about "10 past" with gain about "5 past",this gives me a good stage volume with a really full Crunch/Rhythm sound.
if I could turn the Volume & Gain(on the Amp) up to "15 Past" & "10 past" respectivly,this would give me just about the extra volume & boost I need for leads(I think! :wink:)
I also use the Guitar volume to trim rhythm & full for leads,i'm looking to add a pedal to try to achieve the above settings,so i suppose i'm looking to add both volume & an amount of Sustain/overdrive,to make the leads sing,quite a task with my playing ability.
In one of the replies it mentions using a pedal in the send/return,did this apply mainly to an EQ pedal?
I've been playing electric Guitar for decades,but I've only ever used 3 pedals,2 of them since I started using Orange,a couple of yrs.ago,so i'm a novice with them & I appreciate the help.

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:42 pm

I'm kind of thinking now you should look into a compressor/sustainer pedal with boost capability. A CS-3 or similar, Pigtronix Philosophers Tone.

Dark Helmet
Orange Master

Post by Dark Helmet » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:17 pm

Jondog wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:42 pm
I'm kind of thinking now you should look into a compressor/sustainer pedal with boost capability. A CS-3 or similar, Pigtronix Philosophers Tone.
I would tend to agree. I'm a bit of a pedal neophyte, so can't speak to which are better/worst at that, but I'd agree that a C/S box with boost should really make it go.... check out the Kongpressor maybe?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rf7sZZlK6KM&t=6s
Dark Lord of the Schwartz
AD15/12
AD30TC
AD50
AD140
Thunderverb50

2016 Gibson LP Standard
2012 Gibson LP Classic Custom
2017 Gibson Firebird Studio T
Epi Les Paul (used to be) Standard
2018 Taylor 616CE

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:31 pm

There are many ways to achieve what you want here.

To add both gain and volume, an OD would do fine. My SHO would work well too, but that latter is very much in the same vein as the micro amp you have.

What doesn't work with your micro amp?
You get more gain boost than volume boost?
If that's the case, try and alter your amp starting settings - more volume, less gain. This should give your boost more room to add both volume and gain.

And try it in the fx loop if that fails.
Ant

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:50 pm

Jondog wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:42 pm
I have an old 80s guyatone sustainer that does that really well - it's for a massive volume boost too.
Doesn't add gain, but with the gain around 2 o'clock on the amp as the OP stated, it will add quite a bit there too as it rams the preamp section.
Ant

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:44 am

I still say your going to struggle to achieve this if your using pedals going into the front of the amp with a small Orange valve amp at volume using plenty gain already ......there just isn't the headroom available, you'll need to either lower your playing volume or reduce the amount of gain your already using.

It's much easier to do this with a larger valve amp as there is more available headroom.

Using the FX loop will allow a volume boost but the boost is likely to sound like there is less gain ,again not what your after.

You could try using your guitar volume at say 6 and then turning up on the guitar for lead but will will your amp be loud enough on 6? or give the the tone you like at these settings?

I used for years a TTHW it's got great rhythm crunch tone but can you get a volume boost playing with a band set at a good crunch tone? ....er ...no ...yes you can get a slight increase in gain and I've used all sorts of boosts and ODs....... however in my bigger valve amps it's no problem.
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,
Fender elite Start, Gibson SG 61,fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Rocker 30

johnnyblues
Rocker

Post by johnnyblues » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:03 am

The answer is simple, but you'll require two pedals: one before the preamp and one after (in the efx loop). Any OD pedal (I recommend to keep the Gain low and Level high to slam the preamp into higher OD range) will do before the preamp stage. For the efx loop, use clean boosts. I personally use a TC Spark Mini as this just bumps up my decibel levels for those solo parts and still retain whatever is before it. I have used others with good results too (YJM308, Chili Picoso).

God made man... everything else is made in China!

Gordy G
Tiny Terror

Post by Gordy G » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:00 pm

thanks,for the replies,i've got myself in the mindset of trying to make the JRT work for gigs(small Pub gigs),maybe it'll quieten down the Drummer & Bass player :D .
I'll try the suggestion of a Pedal in each section,i bought a QE7 as 1 of my pedals,so i'll try that in the S/R & stick the MXR in the input & see what that does.
I know I can get what i'm after by plugging the Send of the JRT into the input of my R30C,but the sound of the JRT really suits me and is 90% there,i'll try & get the extra bit out of the Pedals.
If I fail I can always go back to blasting the place out by linking into the R30 :mrgreen: