Re: NGWD

Post by Les Paul Lover » Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:10 pm

Jondog wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:00 pm
Les Paul Lover wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:28 pm
Jondog wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 9:41 pm
Have to say I'm thoroughly impressed with this guitar! Right out of the box it was in tune and set-up perfectly. Very well put together, I can't find any flaws and it sounds great! Nice Tusq nut, the fret ends are all nicely dressed and even. The action is low and I don't hear fret buzz anywear along the neck. Beats the heck out of Epiphone Les Pauls I've played. I like to check everything when I get a guitar, so I opened up the electronics cavities and was even surprised that they shielded the covers. The pots aren't top quality, but everything is wired neatly and soldered well using shielded cable. They even put treble bleeds on each volume pot. My Gretsch had pretty sketchy wiring inside which I've since reworked, no shielded cable either. It took a while, but happy with it!
Heres some pics which you can also play spot the Orange amp on.

It looks very neat!!!!

What's wrong with the pots? Are they Alpha pots?

I love the headstock. It's a great looking axe. Glad you're pleased with it!!!
Nothing is wrong with the pots. They work fine and everything, they’re there to stay unless they go bad. Just not a high quality pot; the terminals are a thinner guage metal than something like a CTS or Bourns and I’m sure theres other cheaper components. Don’t see any branding on them. Really is a solid guitar and I’m enjoying it!
I love how CTS pots turn. They have just the right resistance (pardon the pun) as you turn them.
Alpha pots (The usual cheaper replacement) turns a little too easily compared to CTS, but are mechanically soind and just work as well in my experience.

That bound fret board looks very sweet too. Dig the block inlays.

There really are lots of great guitars outside the Gibson/Fender realms.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute