Rocker 15 or Crush Pro Cr60

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Kmac36

Rocker 15 or Crush Pro Cr60

Post by Kmac36 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:40 pm

I searched local shops to find some orange amps to demo but had no luck. I figured I would come here to get some opinions.

I'm considering these two mainly for their size/weight and ability to play low volume or keep up with a band. I live in a small 4th floor walk up so easy portability to a weekly jam session is a high priority.

Sound wise I know either amp would easily cover my bases. The real question is if the tube amp is worth the extra 300 to a mostly bedroom player that informally jams with friends occasionally. The money isn't an issue if it really sounds better but I've heard great things about the crush pro series.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Re: Rocker 15 or Crush Pro Cr60

Post by Boy_Narf » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:17 am

Always tube for me but between those two I would probably get the CR60. If you want to upgrade in the future look at something a big bigger like the R32, or TH30C. Always nice to have a bit more power especially if you enjoy having a clean, clean tone.

Kmac36

Post by Kmac36 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:52 am

Thanks for the input. I will add that really loud pristine cleans aren't a priority. Slightly gritty clean tones are a preference for me.

beppe

Post by beppe » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:37 am

I have no experience of the CR60 but as a Rocker 15 owner I can tell you it is a fantastic amp and will certainly get you those grittier tones at all volumes.

93studiolite

Post by 93studiolite » Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:56 pm

I'm going through the same decision right now. I haven't had a chance to play either of them yet though. The local GC has a CR60, but not a Rocker 15.

I like the sounds that I hear on all the YouTube reviews for both. I'm mostly a bedroom player, but I want something that'll be enough if I ever get a chance to play with other folks. I don't have a lot of disposable income, so I need to make the best choice I can.

Gordy G
Tiny Terror

Post by Gordy G » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:21 am

I've have a JRT & an R30C,i can't really help with CR60,i've not used or played through one.
I have used the JRT(15w),(which I suspect will give similar output to the R15),for our last few gigs & based on this,i don't think you could use an R15,for gigs(with Bass & Drums),without micing.
On the couple of very small Pub gigs I've used the JRT on it is JUST loud enough on stage,but I've also used it on 4 bigger venues,where without monitoring,it was not enough output,the other band members couldn't hear it.
The R30C is loud enough for most of the Pubs we play,but once again it can run out of steam,if the Bass & Drums get enthusiastic & it too always needs micing.
So if you intend to do Gigs,i would recommend the CR60(at least),with the proviso that I have no idea how loud the s/s watts can go :D & of course this is just my experience.

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:50 am

Be interested to hear which you guys eventually choose, hopefully after having tried both out.

Haven't tried the R.15 yet - no rush as my R.30 isn't going anywhere. Do like the idea of the amp, especially the 'bedroom' settings, but don't 'need' it!

Have tried the Crush Pro 60 though and was very impressed. I actually think it may well be the better choice, largely depending on how loud the jams are. I play a lot of jams here where the volumes are kept reasonable enough that either would do fine, but I'd expect the R.15 to run out of steam first. The low volume performance of the CR60 was very good indeed.

I think it is great that Orange put out solid state amps these days which are good enough to make this a real question!!! 8)

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

Kmac36

Post by Kmac36 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:26 pm

My local guitar center recieved a cr60 trade in sometime in the last couple days. At the price they're offering it seems like an obvious choice.

Looks like my frugal practical side won this round. I just cant justify the extra money for the rocker 15 even if I can afford it. Still wish I could find one to try out though.

Unless something else catches my ear I should be bringing a cr60 home by this time tomorrow.
Last edited by Kmac36 on Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:51 pm

Kmac36 wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:26 pm
My local guitar center recieved a cr60 trade in sometime in the last couple days. At the price they're offering it seems like an obvious choice.

Looks like my frugal practical side won this round. I just cant justify the extra money for the rocker 15 even if I can afford it. Still wish I could find one to try out though.

Unless solmething else catches my ear I should be bringing a cr60 home by this time tomorrow.

Excellent!!!!
Let us know what you think when you have it!!!!
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

d2_racing

Post by d2_racing » Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:28 am

I tested the Rocker 15 a week ago and I'm still in shock.

I don't know how Mr. Adrian Emsley did that, but the bedroom switch at 1w or even 0.5w is really awesome and beside a volume reduction, I didn't notice any tone weakness. Like many are used too, including me, that attenuator didn't suck the tone like I'm used to hear.

Maybe it's a new design of attenuator or the magic in inside the output transformer, but it's working.

It's the first time that I try an amp in 1w mode that I like beside the CSJTM145 from Anderton's.
Marshall CSJTM145
Marshall CSJTMOSH
Petersen 1x12 Creamback G12M-65
Orange Rocker 15 (coming soon)

Kmac36

Post by Kmac36 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:59 pm

After a slight change of plans I am finally the new owner of an Orange Cr60c! I realized the Cr60c available at my local guitar center wasn't really that great of a deal when I factored in tax. It took me a bit but I found one for a good price from a private seller online.

Loving it so far. Just small and light enough to go up and down stairs easily without sounding like a little practice amp. Volume range covers any situation I could see myself playing in.

Sounds pretty much like a rockerverb as far as I remember it. Granted its been a few years since I played through an old friend's mki 50, but to my ears theres not much difference. At higher volumes I'm sure there would be notable differences but only about 10 percent of my playing is done at those volumes.

Bentheweiss007

Post by Bentheweiss007 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:15 am

The Rocker 15 would definitely have a better sound to it, but if you need the clean headroom during band practice the Crush may be your best bet.