What's the deal with Orange Bass Cabs?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

What's the deal with Orange Bass Cabs?

Post by Boy_Narf » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:11 pm

Hello Everyone!

So I'm eyeballing a new bass rig, Ampeg V4B (Sorry AD200 you are just too much money!), and I'm looking for a set of cabs to go with it. Of course I've always dreamed of the OBC115 pair and after doing so research found out they are the exact same price as the OBC410. What gives? Is it that good of a cab? I'm pretty sure the 410 will be louder, fuller, and might even have a lower frequency extension (especially since I'm planning to get two). I'm also curious if the OBC115 is still made in the UK. Not sure if they have moved these over to the other factory yet.

Thanks!!!

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Re: What's the deal with Orange Bass Cabs?

Post by Les Paul Lover » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:46 pm

You should try to look for a recent thread post from OU818, he had a OBC115, and liked it so much he got a 2nd one.

He might be a good person to PM your query to. I believe Billy might one cab of each too.....
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:48 pm

I'm mostly perplexed by the pricing. I don't really see any other companies selling their 115 for the same price as their 410. I wonder if it's just marketing. I would assume the 115 should be a few hundred less.

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:51 pm

Boy_Narf wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:48 pm
I'm mostly perplexed by the pricing. I don't really see any other companies selling their 115 for the same price as their 410. I wonder if it's just marketing. I would assume the 115 should be a few hundred less.
If they are manufactured in the UK, you can expect most of the price in Canada to be due to shipping..... ???

Edit: must be that, in the UK, the OBC115 is around £280 cheaper, just around the difference you were expecting to see.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:58 pm

Shipping weight! Brilliant!

So they are all still UK made? I find it hard to look at other brands with trusty old Traynor being 30-50% cheaper on cabs.

OU818
Orange Master

Post by OU818 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:21 pm

Over here in Aus the OBC115 is about $300-$400 cheaper than the OBC410.

That is indeed strange that they are charged the same in the North.

Mine are both recently made in the U.K. However I am pretty sure I've seen some that have been made in the US also.
Orange Gear:
AD200B MkIII
OBC810

Non-Orange:
Bergantino NXT212
Bergantino Forte D
Woogie Lessie
Laney DBV-410

Basses:
Ernie Ball Stingray 4H
Rickenbacker 4003
Gibson Midtown Signature
Gibson Thunderbird
Gibson Nikki Sixx Thunderbird
Gibson Les Paul Bass

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:28 pm

Boy_Narf wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:58 pm
Shipping weight! Brilliant!

So they are all still UK made? I find it hard to look at other brands with trusty old Traynor being 30-50% cheaper on cabs.
Traynor make great cabs! And you might even look at their bass amps too.

Edit: that only took three edits for autocorrect to give me the right -they're there their! Time to turn it iff....OFF

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:43 pm

Yea I already have a pair of Traynor SS amps. Great sound, nice and growly. Bass player in my bad has a YBA300. Super full punchy sound. Tied with the best two bass amps I've ever heard, that said, it has no grit or growl. I've also looked into the YBA200 and want something with more dirt hence the V4B. I went into L&M yesterday to see if they had them anywhere. Turns out there was only one in Canada. I didn't want to do the 10% non-refundable down and was about to walk away until one of the other guys said they could do better. So I ordered it and if I don't like it, I'm not out that much. They also happen to have my same cab in stock, so I'll be able to do a proper test run. My first real bass amp! Exciting! Only downside I see is the DI is preamp only. Now I just need to learn how to mic a bass cab hehe.

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:28 pm

Kind of off topic, but we're talking bass amps and you mentioned the DI. I watch a lot of those Rig Rundowns, it seems more and more a lot of bass players are just going direct in now with solid state gear, sansamp rack mounts and such. Tim Commerford still believes in the old Ampegs and bank safe cabinets, think he actually uses an AD200 now.

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:40 pm

Ad200 is the dream for sure, but I ain't got that kind of cash to spend right now. Will see how the VB4 turns out. They are pretty rare in my area, so even if I get bored of it in a year I should be able to sell it off for a decent price.

I've been eyeballing the AxeFX for a while now, but there is just something magical about tubes ya know? I think bass gets a bit of a bad rep these days. The whole SS/Digital DI thing keeps most rigs sounding exactly the same. Clean/Clear low end, and of course the god awful bass big muff (even worse running into a SS/D preamp). I think the only person I've seen with a tube bass rig locally is my bass player haha. He is getting sick of hauling it though and was looking at the new Portaflex line. Don't think they have enough wattage especially since he likes a clean bass tone.

This amp is mostly for recording/jamming. I have a Traynor 15" combo that is something like 24lbs, and wicked loud. I usually haul that to all the gigs. Might change after I get the Ampeg though. Running it through a 115 neo cab could be a great sounding portable rig.

OU818
Orange Master

Post by OU818 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:27 am

I use a Radial JDX48 with my AD200. DI from between the speaker and the amp. Captures all the tone and puts it at mic level.

Basically saves me from having to mic the cab and gives me consistent tone no matter the venue.
Orange Gear:
AD200B MkIII
OBC810

Non-Orange:
Bergantino NXT212
Bergantino Forte D
Woogie Lessie
Laney DBV-410

Basses:
Ernie Ball Stingray 4H
Rickenbacker 4003
Gibson Midtown Signature
Gibson Thunderbird
Gibson Nikki Sixx Thunderbird
Gibson Les Paul Bass

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:33 am

Okay woa! I just checked the store again and the OBC410 is $500 more. Crap I should have bought it when the price was wrong hahah. Well that answers that question.

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:22 am

Alright friends!

I tried the V4B as well as the YBA200 tonight. Honestly the Ampeg wiped the floor with that Traynor. The YBA was pretty farty unless the mids were dialed out, but at that point the amp lost quite a bit of body. Also found I had to run the treble all the way down or it was way too clangy. The Traynor did produce more audible hair on the low notes however. The Ampeg on the other hand was crazy smooth and easier to get a good tone out of. In the end I decided I wanted a new bass instead haha. My current rig gets me 90% of the way towards the tube head tone, and at a fraction of the weight/size. The V4B is on the GAS list though. Never heard a bass tone that good in person.