Fantasy/Hybrid Model Orange Amps

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

D|C|M|E
Tiny Terror

Fantasy/Hybrid Model Orange Amps

Post by D|C|M|E » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:05 pm

Here's a fun one. Maybe this is stupid but have any of you ever dreamed about Orange sculpting together multi-channel amps using particular channels from different existing amp models that you love and wish you could have together in one awesome ("perfect" even?) new hybrid amp?

For instance, I've thought of having channel combinations from two or three different heads and coming up with compound names for them like:

THUNDERDARK - Combining the two switchable options of channel A from the existing Thunderverb and channel A from the Dual Dark and then having a third dedicated clean channel with Treble, Mid, Bass and Volume controls.

ROCKERDARK - Combining Dirty channel from Rockerverb MKIII and Channel A from the Dual Dark and then having a third dedicated clean channel with Treble, Mid, Bass and Volume controls. This one I think wold be my dream amp. No reverb at all. Power scaling and global attenuator just like Dual Dark and RVMKIII.

Yes, most of these would cost a great deal of front panel real estate and would probably be highly complex circuits due to the quantity of channels and I get the feeling that Orange tends to try not to get into making too many channels fit into one amp for signal purity's sake but these are some thoughts I was having about how cool it could be to get amps with this many options and particular channel voices.

Also, and here's the kicker, I wonder if it would be possible to run something like the RockerDark having RV Dirty and DD channel A run simultaneously in parallel so you could dial in two different but awesome dirty sounds and run them out to the same cabinet in parallel and have them blend via their volume knobs.
Orange Rockerverb 100 MKIII [2017]
Orange PPC412-A [2017]
Orange PPC412 [2017]
Gibson SG Standard Silverburst [2007]
Gibson SG Standard Heritage Cherry [2016]
More than a dozen drive/Fuzz boxes.

OU818
Orange Master

Re: Fantasy/Hybrid Model Orange Amps

Post by OU818 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:00 am

I'll play...

Dual Dark B 200

Dual blendable preamps with built in crossover and separate EQs from the Dark range and the AD200B with a quad of 6550s in the power amp. Transformer balanced DI and 8/4 ohm out.

Dream bi-amp solution.
Orange Gear:
AD200B MkIII
OBC810

Non-Orange:
Bergantino NXT212
Bergantino Forte D
Woogie Lessie
Laney DBV-410

Basses:
Ernie Ball Stingray 4H
Rickenbacker 4003
Gibson Midtown Signature
Gibson Thunderbird
Gibson Nikki Sixx Thunderbird
Gibson Les Paul Bass

MettleGossett

Post by MettleGossett » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:08 am

I'm in! Was just thinking about this yesterday:

THV 30

It's a TH30 with onboard verb but made in the U.K. I really do love my TH30 just wish it had verb and the U.K. Credibility I feel like they're super underrated because if the whole made in China thing.

P.s. Yes I know that people might think it should be a TV30 but it's not cause they sound different than Thunderverbs and have that clean channel!
American Standard Tele || Classic Player Jazzmaster || TH30 Combo || Retro 50 || PPC212OB PPC112

http://www.mettleband.com
http://www.youtube.com/mettleband

D|C|M|E
Tiny Terror

Post by D|C|M|E » Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:57 am

Nice! I dig all the responses so far. I'd love to see some more. You guys are picking from models that I've never even thought to attempt to try out anyway because they don't necessarily fit my pre-existing mold of what I want. It makes me want to hear more of the Oranges I haven't tried.
Orange PPC412-A [2017]
Orange PPC412 [2017]

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:12 pm

Hybrid? I want more simplicity :D

I'm thinking as opposed to a dual terror, how about a double terror? Just double the wattage keep the rest the same. Oh yes.

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:49 pm

My dream amp would be the RAD(R)V50.
Rockerverb clean channel, AD30 channel A, RV50 dirty channel and RV50 MKI reverb. That would tick all my boxes.

(Perhaps add a Rocker 30 dirty channel too.)
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:23 pm

Made one, Rocker 15 with 6V6's.

D|C|M|E
Tiny Terror

Post by D|C|M|E » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:06 am

Les Paul Lover wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:49 pm
My dream amp would be the RAD(R)V50.
Rockerverb clean channel, AD30 channel A, RV50 dirty channel and RV50 MKI reverb. That would tick all my boxes.

(Perhaps add a Rocker 30 dirty channel too.)
A four channel Orange? I dig it.
Orange PPC412-A [2017]
Orange PPC412 [2017]

pedecamp
Orange Hero

Post by pedecamp » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:08 pm

D|C|M|E wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:05 pm
Here's a fun one. Maybe this is stupid but have any of you ever dreamed about Orange sculpting together multi-channel amps using particular channels from different existing amp models that you love and wish you could have together in one awesome ("perfect" even?) new hybrid amp?

For instance, I've thought of having channel combinations from two or three different heads and coming up with compound names for them like:

THUNDERDARK - Combining the two switchable options of channel A from the existing Thunderverb and channel A from the Dual Dark and then having a third dedicated clean channel with Treble, Mid, Bass and Volume controls.

ROCKERDARK - Combining Dirty channel from Rockerverb MKIII and Channel A from the Dual Dark and then having a third dedicated clean channel with Treble, Mid, Bass and Volume controls. This one I think wold be my dream amp. No reverb at all. Power scaling and global attenuator just like Dual Dark and RVMKIII.

Yes, most of these would cost a great deal of front panel real estate and would probably be highly complex circuits due to the quantity of channels and I get the feeling that Orange tends to try not to get into making too many channels fit into one amp for signal purity's sake but these are some thoughts I was having about how cool it could be to get amps with this many options and particular channel voices.

Also, and here's the kicker, I wonder if it would be possible to run something like the RockerDark having RV Dirty and DD channel A run simultaneously in parallel so you could dial in two different but awesome dirty sounds and run them out to the same cabinet in parallel and have them blend via their volume knobs.
Or......make it a reality and hook your favorite amps together with an ABY pedal - BAM there ya have it!
Thunderverb 50

mici88
Tiny Terror

Post by mici88 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:10 pm

Microckerverb.

Size of micro dark, w/ fx loop, all-tube, 50W, full EQ.

Orange I challenge you!

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:44 pm

mici88 wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:10 pm
Microckerverb.

Orange I challenge you!
Technology is getting close, halfway there...Vox MV50.

adkguy07
Rocker

Post by adkguy07 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:55 am

Jondog wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:44 pm
mici88 wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:10 pm
Microckerverb.

Orange I challenge you!
Technology is getting close, halfway there...Vox MV50.
Yes! I've been interested in that one...... I have been thinking that Orange should (maybe they are doing so) delve more into these hybrid varieties of amps. I appreciate my Micro Dark after spending lots of time getting to know how to adjust those three knobs to get a Rock tone or a quiet cleaner tone; and not necessarily an "Orange" tone from it.

adkguy07

D|C|M|E
Tiny Terror

Post by D|C|M|E » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:19 pm

pedecamp wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:08 pm
D|C|M|E wrote:

Or......make it a reality and hook your favorite amps together with an ABY pedal - BAM there ya have it!
I'll go rob several banks and get right on that. Plus I've heard atrocious stories about ABY pedals and no one can seem to agree on a good one. I've admittedly never had an opportunity to ABY any amps. However, a single amp in the $2500 range with all the above features is a nice fantasy. Running internal channels in parallel would hopefully solve all the phase issues in AB'ing multiple amps.

I'm not quite sure how Adam Jones does it, but he manages to run three half stacks in parallel every night.
Orange PPC412-A [2017]
Orange PPC412 [2017]

pedecamp
Orange Hero

Post by pedecamp » Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:41 pm

D|C|M|E wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:19 pm
pedecamp wrote:
D|C|M|E wrote:

I'll go rob several banks and get right on that. Plus I've heard atrocious stories about ABY pedals and no one can seem to agree on a good one. I've admittedly never had an opportunity to ABY any amps. However, a single amp in the $2500 range with all the above features is a nice fantasy. Running internal channels in parallel would hopefully solve all the phase issues in AB'ing multiple amps.

I'm not quite sure how Adam Jones does it, but he manages to run three half stacks in parallel every night.
And while you're at it buy a backup LOL!

I heard good things about Morley and Radial for ABY, one of these days I'll get one to try.
Thunderverb 50

D|C|M|E
Tiny Terror

Post by D|C|M|E » Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:17 pm

pedecamp wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:41 pm
D|C|M|E wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:19 pm
pedecamp wrote:

And while you're at it buy a backup LOL!

I heard good things about Morley and Radial for ABY, one of these days I'll get one to try.
I always assumed the Morley was the way to go but I read some crap about it also. Maybe I'll have to go back and revisit that. I would love to experiment going Y out to a couple of my amps but I haven't been able to bring myself to drop the cash on the splitter.

The backup rig is a "go". Ha! Seriously. There are so many Oranges I want. The more I watch videos on the Dual Dark the more I want it. I saw some seriously crappy demo's of it when it first came out but the ones that are going around now make it sound quite amazing. Still can't cope with the EQ stacked in the "Shape" knob on channel B though. That is painful.
Orange PPC412-A [2017]
Orange PPC412 [2017]