Modded TT or OR15

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Sasha.danielle

Modded TT or OR15

Post by Sasha.danielle » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:04 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to make a decision. Right now I have a Tiny Terror combo. I'm thinking about either modding the TT or upgrading to an OR15. I love the TT. My main complaints are that it doesn't have an FX loop (and I hate having reverb before amp drive), it could be more responsive to my playing and I'd like a little more control EQ-wise. "My sound" is kind of in that Black Crowes/Marc Ford neighbourhood. I like lots of southern stuff, garage, blues, soul, etc. I'm usually playing my Tele, a Hofner VeryThin hollow body, or my Asher lap steel.

Here is a Magpie Salute vid for reference to my sound: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdCAGlj_jR0
Marc Ford: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFojkqW9mgQ&t=138s

Anyway, I think for the same amount of money I could do one of two things. I could sell the TT and buy a used OR15 and an Orange 12" cab or I could do some mods to the TT. I have a very good amp guy who will install a buffered FX loop of his own design into the TT. His reputation for amp work is excellent amongst the guitar people at all the local stores. Then I would get the Jule Mod for the TT to add some more dynamic and responsiveness.

I figure if I go with the OR15, I don't need to mess around with mods, but I might nevertheless want a bit more responsiveness anyway. That said, with this option I would get the versatility of a head/cab split and an EQ. However, I've also read that the OR15 is quite a bit more modern than the TT, so the TT might be closer to my sound (there's no store in town with an OR15 to try). Also, from what I can tell the people who get the Jule Mod seem to REALLY be happy with his work and that the online video doesn't do Jule's mods justice.

What do you guys think? For my sound what is the better bet?

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Re: Modded TT or OR15

Post by Jondog » Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:40 pm

As someone who has modded a TT, it's not difficult to mod in an effects loop. An EQ section is doable, but it might be better to just put an EQ pedal in the loop, the more things you add to the PCB, could make it more likely to fail if it's not secured well. I've heard of the Jule mod, but don't know what all it includes. I have a list of pretty good mods for the TT, which I think is similar if not the same to the British Glory mod. I like this mod, makes the amp a bit cleaner, less fizzy and more open, supposed to be closer the sound of a Marshall 2204. http://gearupgrade.blogspot.ca/p/britis ... t.html?m=1
I would only go that route if you really like the TT combo though vs head and cab. You might check out the new Rocker 15 combo, although it has a 10" speaker, but a loud 10"-101dB. I prefer the Rocker preamp over the OR15. All three use the same transformers and EL84's.

pedecamp
Orange Hero

Post by pedecamp » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:34 pm

You already own the TT and like it short of a few mods, maybe go that route, its probably cheaper than replacing your entire rig and less hassle. If given the choice to buy one over the other I would go with the OR15, but being that you already own the TT I'd stick with it unless you really didn't like it. Don't forget about the Rocker 15 and 32 if you need an amp with 2 channels.
Thunderverb 50

PBA
Rocker

Post by PBA » Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:28 pm

I have an OR15. I tried the TT along with several other amps when I bought it. I found that the two to sound quite different, albeit in the same ball park.

If you are otherwise happy with the TT, I suggest sticking with it but the OR15 is a great amp and I'm very happy with mine.

Sasha.danielle

Post by Sasha.danielle » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:03 pm

Thanks all. I do like the TT and I have a feeling I would want to tweak any amp anyway. I wish I had a stack rather than the combo, but it is what it is.
Jondog wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:40 pm
As someone who has modded a TT, it's not difficult to mod in an effects loop. An EQ section is doable, but it might be better to just put an EQ pedal in the loop, the more things you add to the PCB, could make it more likely to fail if it's not secured well. I've heard of the Jule mod, but don't know what all it includes. I have a list of pretty good mods for the TT, which I think is similar if not the same to the British Glory mod. I like this mod, makes the amp a bit cleaner, less fizzy and more open, supposed to be closer the sound of a Marshall 2204. http://gearupgrade.blogspot.ca/p/britis ... t.html?m=1
I would only go that route if you really like the TT combo though vs head and cab. You might check out the new Rocker 15 combo, although it has a 10" speaker, but a loud 10"-101dB. I prefer the Rocker preamp over the OR15. All three use the same transformers and EL84's.
Thanks! What's the difference between the British Glory mod and the Orange Glory?

I'm going to talk to Jule about the difference between his mod and the Glory mods. The Glory mods maybe make more sense if only for the fact that I don't have to ship the amp to another country.

Also, that's a good point about just adding in an EQ pedal myself.

Sasha.danielle

Post by Sasha.danielle » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:56 pm

Maybe I should start a separate thread for this, but can anyone give me a run-through of the mods available for the TT?

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:41 pm

Sasha.danielle wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:03 pm
Thanks all. I do like the TT and I have a feeling I would want to tweak any amp anyway. I wish I had a stack rather than the combo, but it is what it is.
Jondog wrote:
Thanks! What's the difference between the British Glory mod and the Orange Glory?

I'm going to talk to Jule about the difference between his mod and the Glory mods. The Glory mods maybe make more sense if only for the fact that I don't have to ship the amp to another country.

I'm not sure what the difference is. I've only ever seen the values for the British Glory mod, and that was second hand information. I id it to my TT and I'm happy with it.

Sasha.danielle

Post by Sasha.danielle » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:52 pm

Jondog wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:41 pm
Sasha.danielle wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:03 pm
Jondog wrote:

I'm not sure what the difference is. I've only ever seen the values for the British Glory mod, and that was second hand information. I id it to my TT and I'm happy with it.
My concern is that the British Glory would make it sound more Marshall than Orange. Did you find that the amp's character changed?

Sasha.danielle

Post by Sasha.danielle » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:53 pm

Also, does anybody have any experience with the Holy Terror mod?

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:38 pm

I listened to the clips... why anyone would try to make their Orange sound like a Marshall is beyond me. Just buy a Marshall FFS.

Sasha.danielle

Post by Sasha.danielle » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:40 pm

bclaire wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:38 pm
I listened to the clips... why anyone would try to make their Orange sound like a Marshall is beyond me. Just buy a Marshall FFS.
To me this is why the Orange Glory mod makes more sense to me. But I'm also looking at the Holy Terror mod which claims to cover a lot of similar ground while adding in extra transformers.

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:50 pm

It still sounds like a TT to me, The only thing that really changes is the gain gets cleaned up and it makes the amp more useable for me, as I don't use a lot of gain. I find the TT has too much gain for it's own good, gets fizzy up high.. Like I said, I don't know that it is exactly the British Glory mod, it may even be the Orange Glory mod??? The signal coupling caps all stay the same, Marshall tend to use 22nf caps throughout, the mod I did keeps the TT stock values. The voltage to the preamp is altered for higher headroom, the first cathode bypass cap is lowered to 10uf from 22uf which changes the gain going into the second stage a bit. I can't remember everything, it's on my computer at home.

Sasha.danielle

Post by Sasha.danielle » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:29 am

Jondog wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:50 pm
It still sounds like a TT to me, The only thing that really changes is the gain gets cleaned up and it makes the amp more useable for me, as I don't use a lot of gain. I find the TT has too much gain for it's own good, gets fizzy up high.. Like I said, I don't know that it is exactly the British Glory mod, it may even be the Orange Glory mod??? The signal coupling caps all stay the same, Marshall tend to use 22nf caps throughout, the mod I did keeps the TT stock values. The voltage to the preamp is altered for higher headroom, the first cathode bypass cap is lowered to 10uf from 22uf which changes the gain going into the second stage a bit. I can't remember everything, it's on my computer at home.
I have to say, after moving from my apartment into a house recently, I have been finally able to play with this amp at louder volumes, and this is a total beast of a machine. I'm super excited to get the FX loop and the mod in it.

My amp tech is urging me to go with Mercury Magnetics' Holy Terror mod. He says they do absolutely amazing work. He says the Holy Terror is way more pricey than the Glory mods but that all of these mods—British Glory, Orange Glory, Jule, Holy Terror—are more or less going to be addressing the same issues (head room, fizz, responsiveness, dynamic, etc.) but the Holy Terror also comes with new transformers and a choke. My amp guy is just about squealing, he's so excited about what this amp will sound like.

If you're curious, this guy has both the Holy Terror and British Glory mods:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vT8b0CgvAfA

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:05 am

Actually now that I think about it, I think the two mods are pretty much the same, other than the transformers . I have a schematic somewhere of the jule mod and remember thinking it looks quite the same as what I did.

Sasha.danielle

Post by Sasha.danielle » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:18 am

Yeah, I mean I have no idea what all the bits and bobs do, but I'm sure it's obvious to amp techs and replacing the weak elements is equally obvious.