Cheap intelligent harmonizer. Thought?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Hubaxe
Orange Expert

Cheap intelligent harmonizer. Thought?

Post by Hubaxe » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:35 am

Hi !
For a current project I feel the need to get an harmonizer for some melodical parts.
In the past I had a boss PS5 I didn't liked. It worked, but the sound was very synthetic, and the controls not really convenient between songs.
I just found a used Digitech Harmony Man (now discontinued), that have 4 presets. I'll have it next week.

Did some of you used those cheap harmonizer? Is it absolutely necessary to break the bank and get an eventide H9 devise or a Pitch Factor to do some simple harmonies?

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Re: Cheap intelligent harmonizer. Thought?

Post by Jondog » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:40 pm

Try an EHX pitch fork or Digitech Drop pedal. Both polyphonic which means they'll track your notes really well. If the pitch fork is anything like the EHX POG it'll sound really good. The Digitech Drop might not blend the signal though?

Hubaxe
Orange Expert

Post by Hubaxe » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:02 pm

Jondog wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:40 pm
Try an EHX pitch fork or Digitech Drop pedal. Both polyphonic which means they'll track your notes really well. If the pitch fork is anything like the EHX POG it'll sound really good. The Digitech Drop might not blend the signal though?
All those are not intelligent harmonizer, just pitch shifter. I'm really after something scalic.

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:36 pm

Ah, intelligent . Sounds expensive...

Hubaxe
Orange Expert

Post by Hubaxe » Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:49 pm

Jondog wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:36 pm
Ah, intelligent . Sounds expensive...
That's why I've mentionned "cheap" :D Anyway , mine is on it's way for 100 euros. So not a big bet. On the papaer it's impressive. You can plug in 2 guitars, the machine is supposed to analyse the chords from the rythm guitar, and calculate the scale to harmonize the lead guitar. If that works as it's supposed to, sure, I'll have fun with that devise

Mystic38
Orange Expert

Post by Mystic38 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:27 pm

TC nova system may be a candidate, plus it gives a lot more..and they are going cheap.

it has a standard pitch shifter block with two voices, but this can be an "intelligent" pitch shifter.

For the intelligent pitch shifter, you select a scale and it can provide 2 voices each within -13st to +13st range (The block will determine the interval based upon key, scale, desired interval and note played), and each with programmable level, pan and (start) delay..

..and being preset based, it means you can change it up per song if thats of interest..

on page 40 of the manual if you desire further reading :)
-Ian-

Orange Rocker 30c, PPC212 & PPC112, Fender DRRI, Marshall 2266
2012 Gibson LP Standard, 2001 Gibson LP DC Standard
2009 Fender Am. Standard Strat, 1999 Fender Am. Hardtail Strat
2014 G&L Fallout

***insert great photos of gear here***

joe545

Post by joe545 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:52 am

Earthquaker Devices pitch bay sounds amazing. check it out

Hubaxe
Orange Expert

Post by Hubaxe » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:25 am

Mystic38 wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:27 pm
TC nova system may be a candidate, plus it gives a lot more..and they are going cheap.

it has a standard pitch shifter block with two voices, but this can be an "intelligent" pitch shifter.

For the intelligent pitch shifter, you select a scale and it can provide 2 voices each within -13st to +13st range (The block will determine the interval based upon key, scale, desired interval and note played), and each with programmable level, pan and (start) delay..

..and being preset based, it means you can change it up per song if thats of interest..

on page 40 of the manual if you desire further reading :)
I know the G Major 2 also have this feature (probably same software on this effect). I was tempted by a Nova or a Gmajor. I went to the pedal because in rehearsal, work situation, scrolling in menu is something I can't do. The Harmony man seems to be much more easy to use. And this IQmusic recognition of scale while playing chords in something I need to try. They use the same development on the Trio pedal, and if it works well, that is a powerful tool. In 2 days I'll let you know honestly how this unit works (or not)

Hubaxe
Orange Expert

Post by Hubaxe » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:26 am

joe545 wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:52 am
Earthquaker Devices pitch bay sounds amazing. check it out
That's a multiple pitch shifter, not an "intelligent" harmonizer.

Hubaxe
Orange Expert

Post by Hubaxe » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:10 am

Finally received and tried the Digitech Harmony man. It performs very well.
Note tracking is flawless, key recognition works really well, and the sound is very good.

If you are tempted by a Boss PS5 or PS6, forget about it, find a used Harmony Man, it works much better and have usefull features the Boss don't have.
This unit is in my pedalboard for a long long time from now :D