Help. Reverb pedal for my TH30 Combo

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Rozz
Tiny Terror

Help. Reverb pedal for my TH30 Combo

Post by Rozz » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:41 am

Hi all,

I need a reverb pedal for my TH30 Combo and have narrowed it down to these which are all around my price point. Some seem discontinued, but can still be obtained at the moment (The Boss FRV1 and FDR-1). It would be used in the main for the typical spring, hall and plate settings, but I think I could make use of the Reverse setting that the Holy Grail and Polara have, but it is not a deal breaker. It seems the Holy Grail can be noisy (?) I’ve performed a few searches on this site and others, but there is just so much out there it is difficult to sort through. It would mainly be used on the clean mode of the TH30c.

Anybody use any of these (or anything else) on a TH30? Any comments welcome. My budget is around the £150 GBP mark. (Around $195 US, $250 Canadian and Australian, or 170 Euros). Thanks.
Phil

TC Electronic Hall of Fame Reverb
Keeley Magnetic Echo Delay
Boss RV-6 Reverb
Digitech Polara (Has reverse)
Boss FRV1 | Fender 63 Spring Reverb
Boss FDR-1 Fender '65 Deluxe
Electro Harmonix Holy Grail Max Reverb (Has reverse)
Gibson Les Paul Traditional, Classic and Tribute. Fender American Standard Strat, Fender MIM Tele, Taylor GS Mini
Orange TH30c with G12H30 Anniversary speaker, 2xOrange PPC112 cabs
Roland Blues Cube Artist. CR120H. Dual Terror

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Re: Help. Reverb pedal for my TH30 Combo

Post by Jondog » Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:14 pm

I've owned a few of those pedals. Currently have the RV-6. I really like it, it has lots of adjustability in a simple format. The tone knob seems to be key to dialing it in. Of all the pedals I've used that have a shimmer setting, it's been my favourite so far, and the tone knob really helps control the effect. Theres a lot of range on the hall and plate settings. I also love that it has a delay setting which is basically like an analog type delay, I was looking for a second delay pedal until I got this. The spring setting is probably the best one Boss has put out in a multi reverb compact pedal. Very realistic and I like it with the tone almost all the way down, just a nice spring sound, all the way is like the springs are getting slammed.
The FRV-1 is my favourite Boss spring reverb, it's better than the RV-6 reverb, it's too bad they didn't use this algorithm in the RV-6, although the RV-6 is still really good. But the FRV is a one trick pedal obviously, so if you can live with only spring reverb, it's a great choice.
TC Electronic Hall of Fame Reverb, I didn't like at all. It seems to be popular which is why I bought it, but it didn't last long. It just sounded to digital to me. The spring didn't sound as real to me a the others, and everything just felt like it had this metallic edge on it.
I haven't owned the Digitech Polara, but I have owned the Digitech Hardwire Supernatural. I believe the Polara uses some of the same algorithms and processing from Lexicon. Supernatural is hands down my favourite reverb pedal. The best Spring reverb I've used (beating Strymon as well). Best transparency of all of them. no extra noise or signal degradation. I still like the shimmer on the RV-6 better. But the Polara has a Halo setting that sounds really good in demos I've heard.
Of the pedals you listed, I'd probably go with the Polara. I was going to get one before the RV-6, but I'm on a Boss pedal kick right now. I will end up getting one regardless eventually.

Rozz
Tiny Terror

Post by Rozz » Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:41 pm

Really informative Jondog. Thank you.
Gibson Les Paul Traditional, Classic and Tribute. Fender American Standard Strat, Fender MIM Tele, Taylor GS Mini

Sootio
Rocker

Post by Sootio » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:36 pm

I've got a Digitech Supernatural and it's the best for me. I love the Plate sound and the Spring sound. The rest is just gravy.

MettleGossett

Post by MettleGossett » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:27 am

I use a Strymon Flint with mine, it sounds great. I think it really depends on what you want the reverb for, if you want to do a lot of textural stuff I would actually recommend the MXR 300 you can get them decently cheap on Reverb.com. I used that before my Strymon and was very happy. Are you going to be using it in the loop?
American Standard Tele || Classic Player Jazzmaster || TH30 Combo || Retro 50 || PPC212OB PPC112

http://www.mettleband.com
http://www.youtube.com/mettleband

Rozz
Tiny Terror

Post by Rozz » Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:39 am

Thanks all for the advice. Yes probably use it in the loop but will experiment a bit. I don't want to do much other than "basic" stuff at the moment and I decided not to mull it over too long, so have just ordered the Polara. It should come tomorrow and I will post later on and let people know what I think.
Again, thanks.
Phil