Good luck! Doing an exact clone?

pedecamp
Orange Hero

Re: PPC212 Build

Post by pedecamp » Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:15 pm

Jondog wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:23 am
Good luck! Doing an exact clone?
As close as possible with my own construction techniques.
Thunderverb 50

pedecamp
Orange Hero

Post by pedecamp » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:54 am

Does anybody have the width measurement of the front frame rails of a PPC212? How wide is each strip?

Update: Just glued and screwed the four sides, this cab will be all birch ply. Hopefully get the front, back and front rails cut out and together tomorrow.
Thunderverb 50

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:22 pm

I was working on a PPC212OB. Well I am, procrastinating a lot that is :)

Post some pics!

pedecamp
Orange Hero

Post by pedecamp » Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:34 pm

Boy_Narf wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:22 pm

Post some pics!
Oh yes I will post pics, I'm hoping to have the rest of the pieces cut out and together by tonight so I can at least pop some speakers in it and see how it sounds before ordering grill cloth and possibly tolex, although I'll probably just end up painting it orange to save money. I have all the hardware in another cab I'll be dismantling, that cab will become a head shell for my AC15, another project for another day LOL.

But I do need the width of the front rails before I can proceed, was trying not to have to take a trip to the music store with a ruler LOL.
Thunderverb 50

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:44 pm

pedecamp wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:34 pm
Boy_Narf wrote:

Post some pics!
Oh yes I will post pics, I'm hoping to have the rest of the pieces cut out and together by tonight so I can at least pop some speakers in it and see how it sounds before ordering grill cloth and possibly tolex, although I'll probably just end up painting it orange to save money. I have all the hardware in another cab I'll be dismantling, that cab will become a head shell for my AC15, another project for another day LOL.

But I do need the width of the front rails before I can proceed, was trying not to have to take a trip to the music store with a ruler LOL.
Suggestion on if you're going to paint. Depending how nice your wood looks, you might consider staining. Here's a head shell I built out of nice Walnut (ply can look nice too) and stained it with orange tinted stain. I think it came out alright. Which reminds me, I need to install my head into it! Just pulled this out of the garage as it's been sitting there for over a year unused!

pedecamp
Orange Hero

Post by pedecamp » Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:50 pm

Jondog wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:44 pm
pedecamp wrote:
Boy_Narf wrote:

Post some pics!

Suggestion on if you're going to paint. Depending how nice your wood looks, you might consider staining. Here's a head shell I built out of nice Walnut (ply can look nice too) and stained it with Orange tinted stain. I think it came out alright. Which reminds me, I need to install my head into it! Just pulled this out of th garage as it's been sitting there for over a year unused!
Very nice, your work that is, mine on the other hand is pretty low grade ply so stain may not look so good, most likely will use paint and maybe tolex. Any chance you have the front rail width measurement off your Orange cab if you have one?
Thunderverb 50

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:06 pm

pedecamp wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:50 pm
Jondog wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:44 pm
pedecamp wrote:

Suggestion on if you're going to paint. Depending how nice your wood looks, you might consider staining. Here's a head shell I built out of nice Walnut (ply can look nice too) and stained it with Orange tinted stain. I think it came out alright. Which reminds me, I need to install my head into it! Just pulled this out of th garage as it's been sitting there for over a year unused!
Very nice, your work that is, mine on the other hand is pretty low grade ply so stain may not look so good, most likely will use paint and maybe tolex. Any chance you have the front rail width measurement off your Orange cab if you have one?
Unfortunately don't have an Orange cab anymore. If someone here can't get it for you, maybe you have a local Orange dealer where you can go measure. Had to build a Tiny Terror for someone once, but I didn't have a Tiny Terror and they were located on the otherside of the country, so thats what I did.

thejay
Orange Expert

Post by thejay » Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:38 pm

Very cool! I built a 212OB clone a few years ago. I actually use it pretty regularly
Oranges - R32, OR50, R30, RVMKIII, OR100, AD30, OB212, CB212 (2x)
Non Orange - Mesa, Friedman, Vox & Marshall
Former Oranges - TT, JRT, OR15, RVMKII
YouTube https://bit.ly/2pSp3sk
http://bigbattlebear.bandcamp.com

pedecamp
Orange Hero

Post by pedecamp » Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:29 am

I'm gonna need to order some basket weave speaker cloth and black metal corners if anybody knows where to point me in the right direction to buy in the States. Thanks

I took a ride to the music store and got all my measurements, its all good now. I cut out the front and back panel and bracing for the inside. Tomorrow cut the rails, speaker holes, handle holes and jack hole.
Thunderverb 50

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:22 am

Check out www.mojotone.com www.speakerbuildersupply.com www.qcomponents.ca
www.nextgenguitars.ca
Last two are in Canada. Not sure what the price differences are or will be with shipping , but if they're close to the same you might save some money with the exchange rate at the moment.

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:06 am

I get all my WGS speakers from Tapesty Music. Decent prices, and one of the only places to get them in Canada. I believe I ordered everything else from nextgen. Picked up some grill material on a wicked sale too. Sure it might not be a classic color, but I got it for half price :)

fiveightandten
Orange Master

Post by fiveightandten » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:35 pm

pedecamp wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:29 am
I'm gonna need to order some basket weave speaker cloth and black metal corners if anybody knows where to point me in the right direction to buy in the States. Thanks

I took a ride to the music store and got all my measurements, its all good now. I cut out the front and back panel and bracing for the inside. Tomorrow cut the rails, speaker holes, handle holes and jack hole.
http://www.mojotone.com/Cabinets_x/Gril ... Cloth-58-W
'71 GRO100 || '96 OR-80 || AD30 || '64 AC-50 || AC-30TBX || Hiwatt DR504 || HI-TONE HT30
LP Standard || LP Studio || LP Custom Lite || Ric 620 || Ric 360 || MIA Tele || SG 61 RI

pedecamp
Orange Hero

Post by pedecamp » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:20 pm

I found this fabric online: http://www.ebay.com/itm/26in-x-26in-Bei ... 1310345779

What do you think, looks like the current Orange fabric?
Thunderverb 50