CR60C or CR120C?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

NowieAsh
New Member
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:48 am

CR60C or CR120C?

Post by NowieAsh » Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:44 am

I've decided to buy this solid state combo. I'm leaning toward the 60 because it's 20 lbs lighter and with a newborn son, all the playing I'll be doing for now will be low-volume living room jams with friends.

I read somewhere that Orange will soon stop making this model. Herein lies my trepidation. When I get a band together in the future, the 120 will possibly be the better choice. What to do?

Enough babbling. Thoughts?
Last edited by NowieAsh on Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange
Posts: 6790
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:08 am
Location: Derby, England

Re: CR60C or CR120C?

Post by Les Paul Lover » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:37 am

NowieAsh wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:44 am
I'm decided on buying this solid state combo. I'm leaning toward the 60 because it's 20 lbs lighter and with a newborn son, all the playing I'll be doing for now will be low-volume living room jams with friends.

I read somewhere that Orange will soon stop making this model. Herein lies my trepidation. When I get a band together in the future, the 120 will possibly be the better choice. What to do?

Enough babbling. Thoughts?
You have pretty well summed up the situation.

TBH, the 60w model should be ok for band settings too.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5


Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

NowieAsh
New Member
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:48 am

Re: CR60C or CR120C?

Post by NowieAsh » Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:31 pm

Les Paul Lover wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:37 am
NowieAsh wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:44 am
I'm decided on buying this solid state combo. I'm leaning toward the 60 because it's 20 lbs lighter and with a newborn son, all the playing I'll be doing for now will be low-volume living room jams with friends.

I read somewhere that Orange will soon stop making this model. Herein lies my trepidation. When I get a band together in the future, the 120 will possibly be the better choice. What to do?

Enough babbling. Thoughts?
You have pretty well summed up the situation.

TBH, the 60w model should be ok for band settings too.
Thanks for your input. :D

From what you know, is there any truth to the rumors that Orange will stop manufacturing these solid state amps?

Rozz
Tiny Terror
Posts: 137
Joined: Sat May 30, 2015 8:56 pm
Location: Broadstairs, United Kingdom

Re: CR60C or CR120C?

Post by Rozz » Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:31 pm

I've got the CR120H and that goes very loud. I also would think the CR60 would be ok in small club/pub gig settings (I did try one out, but did not open it up fully). I hope they don't discontinue them because they are really good and a REAL SS alternative to the valve stuff.
Gibson Les Paul Traditional, Classic and Tribute. Fender American Standard Strat, Fender MIM Tele, Taylor GS Mini
Orange TH30c with G12H30 Anniversary speaker, 2xOrange PPC112 cabs
Roland Blues Cube Artist. CR120H. Dual Terror

Mystic38
Orange Expert
Posts: 521
Joined: Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:04 am
Location: Mystic, CT

Re: CR60C or CR120C?

Post by Mystic38 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:03 pm

i would be really surprised if these were discontinued soon.. they were well received, well reviewed by the critics and very well received in forums and the real world..

me?.. i would go for the CR120C.. For the power, since its like the CR60C but it goes to 11 don't it?., so its better....(spinal tap) :D

Or more probably because the 212 speaker configuration just kills a 112 every time i have ever compared.
-Ian-

Orange Rocker 30c, PPC212 & PPC112, Fender DRRI, Marshall 2266
2012 Gibson LP Standard, 2001 Gibson LP DC Standard
2009 Fender Am. Standard Strat, 1999 Fender Am. Hardtail Strat
2014 G&L Fallout

***insert great photos of gear here***

scottjpsmith
New Member
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2016 3:35 am
Location: Austin, TX

Re: CR60C or CR120C?

Post by scottjpsmith » Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:42 pm

Both are really great amps. The 2x12 is my preference but it is heavy. For home playing and low level jamming the 1x12 will be perfect and sound excellent. If you find yourself wanting more volume, and someone please correct me if I am mistaken, adding a 16 ohm extension cabinet will bring it up to its total 60 watt capabilities.
Orange Gear: Rockerverb50 MKII, OR50 40th Anniversary, AD30TC, Crush 35RT, Fur Coat Fuzz, 10' Cable

NowieAsh
New Member
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:48 am

Re: CR60C or CR120C?

Post by NowieAsh » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:42 pm

Thanks everybody for throwing in your two cents. I appreciate it.

liaztraht
Tiny Terror
Posts: 104
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:41 pm

Re: CR60C or CR120C?

Post by liaztraht » Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:09 pm

The cr120, I have the head version, is heavier, but can also play whisper quiet. I've jammed out a 3am with it no problem. The master volume and channel volume are very usable. It doesn't jump from nothing to loud like a fender would.

Either would be a solid choice. I only chose the head because I prefer closed back cabs.
My cat loves the Orange tone!

Image

BeyondTheSunn
New Member
Posts: 30
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:49 pm

Re: CR60C or CR120C?

Post by BeyondTheSunn » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:29 pm

Hi there,

Personally, I'd go for the CR120C. I own one, and while it is mega loud, more volume than you'll ever, and it wants you to crank the Master Volume up & it sounds incredible, great clarity etc., it is hugely user friendly at lower volumes, too. I have both Channel Volumes on 10 and I can get the Master Volume to around 1 (0 being off,10 loudest) and it's at TV/Socialising volume. I often have a UK made Hayden (with a Sunn badge because... why not) 4x12 loaded with Celestion V30s, there's a slight increase in volume but you'll have to really listen for it, anything over that Master Volume setting you're going to get very loud, with a 4x12 or not. However, I've played into the late hours with this 6x12 layout and it's been absolutely fine. With the tweaking of the Channel Volumes you can get the Master Volume up a bit higher without it being any louder than your TV, the volumes are incredibly user friendly.

With regards to the CR60C, great amp, again hugely versatile but when I played one, I found it a bit thin in sound but I believe that's because it's a 1x12 rather than the more fuller sound 2x12. Although, I've never been a fan of 1x12 combos and cabs anyway. I'd prefer it if Orange made the CR60C into a compact 2x12, you know like the 2x12 cabs have the staggered speakers?... But then, it'll be your perspective at the end of the day, if you're just after a home use only amp then the CR60C would be ideal, I'm not too sure how it'd cope at higher volumes, say at high volume jamming, gigging etc., I'm guessing it'd be fine but a lot of variables are depending, what your Bassist has, if there is another Guitarist and if so what does he have, is your Drummer a hard hitter etc.

If the CR60C doesn't cut through the mix and you don't really want to carry, say, a 1x12 or 2x12 cab, you could always just replace the 60w Voice of the World speaker for something with a bit more Oooomph, a 75w Celestion G12T-75, the 100w G12K-100 or maybe even the new Celestion G12H-150 Redback which is some 150w. Even with such high wattage speakers, you'll still be able to jam with it at home but still have more than enough grunt for when you need it.

While the CR120C is heavier, it's still quite compact. I'm a lanky skinny thing, not particular strong, 35yrs old, & I find it ok to carry, yeah it's heavy but it's dimensions make it pretty easy to carry. Smaller than Orange's 2x12 closed back, I think about the same size as the 2x12 open back.

Hope this helps, sorry if I'm ranting, but I love this CR120C amp. Hope all goes well, very best of luck. Let us know how get on. :)

pedecamp
Orange Hero
Posts: 475
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:49 pm
Location: USA

Re: CR60C or CR120C?

Post by pedecamp » Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:03 am

NowieAsh wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:44 am
I've decided to buy this solid state combo. I'm leaning toward the 60 because it's 20 lbs lighter and with a newborn son, all the playing I'll be doing for now will be low-volume living room jams with friends.

I read somewhere that Orange will soon stop making this model. Herein lies my trepidation. When I get a band together in the future, the 120 will possibly be the better choice. What to do?

Enough babbling. Thoughts?
Don't worry there will be plenty of used to buy if that day comes you need the 120, or just get them both now the price isn't bad.
Thunderverb 50
Image

NowieAsh
New Member
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:48 am

Re: CR60C or CR120C?

Post by NowieAsh » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:15 pm

Well, gents, got the CR60C at my local music store. Very pleased thus far.

Thank you all for your comments.

liaztraht
Tiny Terror
Posts: 104
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:41 pm

Re: CR60C or CR120C?

Post by liaztraht » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:29 pm

Congrats! You will love it for a long time!
My cat loves the Orange tone!

Image

NowieAsh
New Member
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:48 am

Re: CR60C or CR120C?

Post by NowieAsh » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:50 am

liaztraht wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:29 pm
Congrats! You will love it for a long time!
Thanks a lot :D

shpongled
New Member
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:23 pm

Re: CR60C or CR120C?

Post by shpongled » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:55 am

Piggybacking on this thread as I'm also considering these two.

Given the cr120c doesn't actually cost much more than the cr60 around here, and people seem to be saying that the 120 can also do low volumes well enough, is there really any major reason to get the 60 rather than 120?

Obviously one is a bit bigger/heavier, but are any other considerations? This would be primarily for home use at first with the possibility of more later.

To put it another way, are there any reasons to choose a cr60c over a cr120c if price isn't a factor?

Thanks!

pedecamp
Orange Hero
Posts: 475
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:49 pm
Location: USA

Re: CR60C or CR120C?

Post by pedecamp » Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:45 pm

shpongled wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:55 am
Piggybacking on this thread as I'm also considering these two.

Given the cr120c doesn't actually cost much more than the cr60 around here, and people seem to be saying that the 120 can also do low volumes well enough, is there really any major reason to get the 60 rather than 120?

Obviously one is a bit bigger/heavier, but are any other considerations? This would be primarily for home use at first with the possibility of more later.

To put it another way, are there any reasons to choose a cr60c over a cr120c if price isn't a factor?

Thanks!
Me personally I'd get the 120 head and a 2x12 cab. These pieces are lighter to carry individually over the weight of a combo. Other than that theyre the same amp with the same functionality, just a wattage difference which IMO doesn't matter.
Thunderverb 50
Image

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests