RV50H MKII Problems (Long story)

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Re: RV50H MKII Problems (Long story)

Post by Boy_Narf » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:44 pm

Really sounds like you should throw an eq pedal in front of your mkII.

D|C|M|E
Tiny Terror

Post by D|C|M|E » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:26 pm

Boy_Narf wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:44 pm
Really sounds like you should throw an eq pedal in front of your mkII.
I don't think you'd say that if you heard it. The way its acting, I wondered why anyone would ever venerate that amp for what it is if that is how it is supposed to sound. I played a MKII 100 watt and it was acting like a real tube amp. There's no way that a 50 watt difference is solely responsible for my Rockerverb to sound like a 1999 Line 6 digitally modeled emulation through a single 12" speaker of what an Orange amp is supposed to sound like.

Plus I don't want to live in a world where I have to buy an EQ pedal to make my $2000 amp push frequencies as well as an amp that's a quarter of the price can. Trust me. There is a problem.
Orange Rockerverb 100 MKIII [2017]
Orange PPC412-A [2017]
Orange PPC412 [2017]
Gibson SG Standard Silverburst [2007]
Gibson SG Standard Heritage Cherry [2016]
More than a dozen drive/Fuzz boxes.

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:40 pm

Valid point about pedals on a $2000 amp. Exactly the reason I ditched all my OD/dist pedals a few years back. Are you able to find another RV50 and give it a try? Might be the best way to know if yours is broken. Then again if the 100 sounded fine I think there is an issue. The only difference should be less headroom, and a lower volume to breakup. It shouldn't sound like a different amp. Hopefully Orange support will get you sorted out.

I will say I had a similar experience once. I walked into a guitar shop in Edmonton and saw a Stratosoinc Jr on the wall. I HAD TO HAVE IT! They only had a RV100 and PPC412 on the floor, and I asked to be plugged in as I'm an "Orange Guy". We fired it up and it sounded like there were a half dozen blankets thrown over top. The EQ did barely anything, and I know there was something wrong as I had the same amp for 5 years. I even thought the tone knob on the guitar didn't work as I couldn't hear a change in the sound. I told the guy it sounded really off, and he said "no way, it just came back from our tech who did some repairs and said it's good as new". There was definitely something very wrong with it. I then plugged into a Marshall 112 combo and it was much closer to what I'm used to hearing (plus I could hear the tone knob working). It seemed like there was a whole whack of frequencies missing from the sound. Very very strange.

D|C|M|E
Tiny Terror

Post by D|C|M|E » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:50 pm

Boy_Narf wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:40 pm
Valid point about pedals on a $2000 amp. Exactly the reason I ditched all my OD/dist pedals a few years back. Are you able to find another RV50 and give it a try? Might be the best way to know if yours is broken. Then again if the 100 sounded fine I think there is an issue. The only difference should be less headroom, and a lower volume to breakup. It shouldn't sound like a different amp. Hopefully Orange support will get you sorted out.

I will say I had a similar experience once. I walked into a guitar shop in Edmonton and saw a Stratosoinc Jr on the wall. I HAD TO HAVE IT! They only had a RV100 and PPC412 on the floor, and I asked to be plugged in as I'm an "Orange Guy". We fired it up and it sounded like there were a half dozen blankets thrown over top. The EQ did barely anything, and I know there was something wrong as I had the same amp for 5 years. I even thought the tone knob on the guitar didn't work as I couldn't hear a change in the sound. I told the guy it sounded really off, and he said "no way, it just came back from our tech who did some repairs and said it's good as new". There was definitely something very wrong with it. I then plugged into a Marshall 112 combo and it was much closer to what I'm used to hearing (plus I could hear the tone knob working). It seemed like there was a whole whack of frequencies missing from the sound. Very very strange.
My man! That is EXACTLY what I'm talking about. I have yet to find a place where there is an RV50 MKII lying around for me to play but I figured the experience with the 100 MKII was proof enough.

I don't know who the guys are that are servicing and "refurbishing" these Oranges but if its anyone besides an Orange certified technician, it seems like there is just something other techs simply don't know about how to fully finish servicing an Orange amp. You are literally describing my exact problem and it makes me feel a lot better because I feel like someone else has really truly had my same experience except that you were fortunate enough to have not purchased the defective Orange.

Seriously. That is exactly what's happening with mine. The dealer told me mine was refurbished and after getting that info and having heard how bad mine sounded I knew something was terribly wrong and now I know it for sure.

Thank you so much for your input.
Orange PPC412-A [2017]
Orange PPC412 [2017]

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:01 pm

Same, that guy said it was a refurb. RETURN IT!!!!!

D|C|M|E
Tiny Terror

Post by D|C|M|E » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:16 pm

Boy_Narf wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:01 pm
Same, that guy said it was a refurb. RETURN IT!!!!!
Ha! Man, I know. Orange USA in Atlanta is going to look at it. Hopefully, there is a good solution to this. I can't even tell you how distressing this has been. I took a leap of faith and grabbed the Orange I had wanted for so long and this has been a 4 month debacle. I'm so burned out on the whole thing.

Out of curiosity what amp are you running now?

EDIT: Nevermind I see you have your Oranges listed in your signature.

So I guess I would ask which do you like the best?
Orange PPC412-A [2017]
Orange PPC412 [2017]

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:47 pm

For live it's always the TT and Port City OS212V. Just too cute to leave at home, and the port city boosts the lows that are otherwise missing with my regular Orange cabs.

For recording it's the R30C. It has a boxiness in the midrange that punches HARD right through the mix. I've never once had to EQ the final track once it's recorded. Where as my RV100, and R30 into cabs always needed some help to mesh.

For jamming at home it's the R30 head with 612's. Sounds beautiful in the room.

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:37 pm

By the way, I have tried both the RV50 and RV100, they are almost identical.

It sounds like there's something wrong with yours, but I couldn't tell what.
As you have mentioned, if exchanges with your dealer have proved unsuccessful in resolving your issue, I would contact Orange directly right now.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

mmcwill

Post by mmcwill » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:56 am

My problems are not the same as yours, but I have a RV MKIII 100w that makes static noise like an AM radio station. I sent it back to Atlanta be looked at but they said the problem was fixed and sent it back. Of course, when I got it back and fired it up, the static was still there. It goes away after the tubes warm up for a while, but it seems to reappear from time to time spontaneously. I've tried new tubes all the way around and that doesn't help, although it doesn't do it while in half-power mode. But I digress . . .

D|C|M|E
Tiny Terror

Post by D|C|M|E » Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:18 pm

mmcwill wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:56 am
My problems are not the same as yours, but I have a RV MKIII 100w that makes static noise like an AM radio station. I sent it back to Atlanta be looked at but they said the problem was fixed and sent it back. Of course, when I got it back and fired it up, the static was still there. It goes away after the tubes warm up for a while, but it seems to reappear from time to time spontaneously. I've tried new tubes all the way around and that doesn't help, although it doesn't do it while in half-power mode. But I digress . . .
Hmmm.... Well, that's no good. I'm really sorry to hear that. I just sent my amp off to Atlanta yesterday and I'm looking forward to hearing what they find.
Orange PPC412-A [2017]
Orange PPC412 [2017]

D|C|M|E
Tiny Terror

Post by D|C|M|E » Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:05 pm

Here's what Orange reported to me about what they found in my amp:
Well, that was a fun one for us! The good news is that it’s all fixed and back on the shipping shelf, waiting to head your way.....[abridged] Here’s what our techs notes said about your amp:

Repaired 7/31/17

Found several issues with amp. Play testing revealed the sound and tone on the Distortion channel was fading in and out and the treble control was affecting overall volume. Removed all tubes and removed preamp PCB for inspection. Found a 90% broken trace between treble and master volume pots. Replaced defective PCB. Tested tubes and found two very weak preamp tubes and mismatched power tubes. replaced these tubes, burned in, and play tested OK. reassembled and final test. Check complete.

(1)RUBY 12AX7C5HG+
(1)RUBY 12AX7CZ
(2)JJ EL-34

I listened to you amp yesterday when he first started it. I listened again today: so much better!!!!

Let me know what you think once you get it.

Thanks so much for your patience,
That's the taste of vindication. I will be sending this information to the dealer regarding the ridiculously poor state of the product they sold me. I have yet to receive the amp back but I will be sure to let you all know if I'm satisfied but from the sounds of it, I'm pretty sure I will be.

Only Orange can refurbish an Orange. That is my new motto.
Orange PPC412-A [2017]
Orange PPC412 [2017]

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:26 pm

Glad to hear they got it sorted and hope you love the tone now. I once took a Martin guitar to a local authorised repair centre and they completely botched the repair job. Spent another two years trying to fix their fskup, and ended up just selling the guitar. I avoid all "repair centres" now. If I have the option, I will always sent it back to the manufacturer.

Though it sounds like your problem was pretty in depth. I doubt any regular repair guy would be replacing the PCB. Usually just a tube and solder check.

Great work Orange!

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:31 pm

Thats awesome they put in a new PCB! That's pretty well all new circuitry! All they really had to do was repair the trace, so I'd say they treated you very well!

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:40 pm

That's how you get a loyal customer for life.

D|C|M|E
Tiny Terror

Post by D|C|M|E » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:35 pm

Thanks for the comments, guys. Man! What a ride. And indeed, THIS IS how you get a loyal customer for life. Honestly, I'm going to walk around this Earth looking like an Orange NASCAR driver with only one sponsor. I don't look good in baseball caps... but I'm gonna wear their damn baseball cap, while holding an Orange coffee mug in one of five different Orange t-shirt designs while I get my Orange Amps tattoo.

Ok. I'm not going to do all that but I will definitely wear some shirts and likely pickup the mug as well.

I have a good feeling that I'm finally going to be able to achieve the wicked drive tones I heard from the MKIII now. Even if its close, it will be a dream come true and pushing through my PPC412 I think I'll be a very happy camper but we shall see once it is returned and I get to test it out.
Boy_Narf wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:26 pm
Though it sounds like your problem was pretty in depth. I doubt any regular repair guy would be replacing the PCB. Usually just a tube and solder check.

Great work Orange!
Your point is well taken but that just goes to prove its all the more reason why you shouldn't deal in refurbished equipment from manufacturers with products as complex and highly lauded as Orange. Though after all, I will end up with an Orange RVMKII that I've wanted for so long and I may have not gotten to this point yet had I not taken the chance with this sale of a piece of gear that maybe should have never been sold.
Orange PPC412-A [2017]
Orange PPC412 [2017]