RV50H MKII Problems (Long story)

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Re: RV50H MKII Problems (Long story)

Post by Boy_Narf » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:18 pm

Get a refund and get a used RV50 MKII. You said you wanted a mid knob and to rid your life of those pesky notches.

D|C|M|E
Tiny Terror

Post by D|C|M|E » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:07 am

Boy_Narf wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:18 pm
Get a refund and get a used RV50 MKII. You said you wanted a mid knob and to rid your life of those pesky notches.
I would love that but this whole nightmare started with a used MKII.

The dealer suggested sending the amp to their repair center. I told them I'd send it but to also alert me to what they plan on doing before just applying a repair then sending it back with no notice whatsoever on anything. I personally think a brand new replacement is in order.
Orange Rockerverb 100 MKIII [2017]
Orange PPC412-A [2017]
Orange PPC412 [2017]
Gibson SG Standard Silverburst [2007]
Gibson SG Standard Heritage Cherry [2016]
More than a dozen drive/Fuzz boxes.

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:18 am

Second hand one that I'd working off course heh. Yea I would demand a new one for sure.

pedecamp
Orange Hero

Post by pedecamp » Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:21 pm

Dark Helmet wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:42 pm
1) That does not sounds fun... It took 3 trips to the shop to sort out a bad gain pot in my TV50 last month... REALLY aggravating.

2) you have the wrong amp. AD30 can get PLENTY muddy, and if that's not enough power, scavenge an old Ad140? I do NOT think an OR100 is the right answer here, at least not until I find one first.... :mrgreen:
My TV50 is all kinds of muddy terrible sound, yours is not? I use a treble boost pedal to get it where I want.
Thunderverb 50

D|C|M|E
Tiny Terror

Post by D|C|M|E » Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:03 pm

So, to sum up my saga on this long and arduous journey through the world of Orange Amplification, I have seen the mountaintop, and I have also reached the mountaintop.

Tuesday, April 3, 2018 was the date. Its the date when my Vintage 30's FINALLY "BROKE IN"

I cannot believe what an intense NIGHT AND DAY difference there is. I never thought pre-broken in speakers could make you feel depression and desperation from your sorry dead ass tone but they do.

There should be an Amplifier General's Warning on all V30 loaded cabinets, especially ones built by Orange that warns you that the "break-in" process is VERY REAL and more potent than any guitarist who has not yet experienced it could ever believe. And you absolutely MUST understand and acknowledge that the work involved in breaking in the speakers is on the customer. There should be literature describing this very phenomenon with recommendations on how to scale that hump posted on every brand new V30 loaded Orange cabinet.

Unfortunately for me it took about 10 months to break in my speakers as I simply did not have the time or volume allowance to get it done in a timely fashion. Anyway, my RV100MKIII sounds f'ing phenomenal now through my PPC412.

The only weird thing left is that my Silverburst SG has a less desirable tone through the rig than my more recent production Cherry SG. I think it MAY be due to the ebony fretboard and possibly how low the action is. Just doesn't have the same tight bark like the Cherry SG.

Either way, I'm NOW happy with my Orange amp and am looking forward to using the ever living crap out of it and sounding awesome the whole way.

Thanks to everybody for all your advice. I made it.
Orange PPC412-A [2017]
Orange PPC412 [2017]

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:43 pm

I hear that. I've been using my Orange PPC112 at rehearsal lately through my AD30TC for the sole purpose of breaking in the speaker. Not there yet - it still has some harshness to it that I know will mellow out with time but I wish it could be a little sooner.

I wonder if I could hook it up to something else and just run it all day or something to speed up the process...

D|C|M|E
Tiny Terror

Post by D|C|M|E » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:10 pm

bclaire wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:43 pm
I hear that. I've been using my Orange PPC112 at rehearsal lately through my AD30TC for the sole purpose of breaking in the speaker. Not there yet - it still has some harshness to it that I know will mellow out with time but I wish it could be a little sooner.

I wonder if I could hook it up to something else and just run it all day or something to speed up the process...
If you've got any sort of looper pedal I suggest dialing in the chunkiest power amp distortion tone you can muster out of the AD30 kick up the treble all the way, mid all the way and bass at like 2:00 then record a loop of you playing heavy pick attack palm muted low register movable power chords up the whole neck, then hitting the D and G strings with heavy attack power chords all the way up the neck then heavy attack double picking the B string from open string to last fret for a few notes per fret and repeat that on the high E. Record that in the looper and then let it repeat for a few hours at a time. I wish I had done that.
Orange PPC412-A [2017]
Orange PPC412 [2017]

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:00 am

I'll give it a try... thanks!

Wendigo
Orange Master

Post by Wendigo » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:20 am

In the future, you might want to try what I did to my RV50 combo back then: tape a couch cushion to the front over the speakers, and run a sine wave sweep in a loop through it for a couple hours. Just a DAW playing a loop of a full spectrum sweep up and down for several hours at high volume and then you are done 90% of the way.

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:28 am

I’m always fascinated by the different ways people have for breaking in speakers. Some pretty strange ones out there. I’ve read of people using fabric softner! Think I’d avoid that!

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:29 pm

Congratulations!!!!!

I wish all posters came back to their thread to update them with the final outcome/result.
I'm really pleased for you.

And yes, the V30 can take quite some pounding before to fully break in. I've read it takas 80h to fully break it in - i suspect it's more than that.

It's funny how it changes though. Once fully broken in, it's warm, punchy, smooth and will still bite when digging in.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute