Ex orange owner wants to get back in the Orange club... What should I buy??!!!

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

pattyzero
Tiny Terror

Ex orange owner wants to get back in the Orange club... What should I buy??!!!

Post by pattyzero » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:58 pm

I sold most of my gear off last year in a period of "financial embarrasment" but now I feel the lure of the oranges again!!!

I had a retro 50 and a tiny terror hardwired. I also had a rockerverb and a rocker30, briefly but TBH I didn't warm to them .

I loved the simply but robust and toneful retro 50. If I had any criticism, it's that it was a little smooth, I would maybe have liked a little more upper mid grit.

I absolutely loved the tiny terror hardwired. The only thing I didn't like about it was it was a little underpowered for some gigs, which was why I brought the retro 50.

So what to go for now??!!

Basically I would like a practice amp for home. And if it can manage small gigs and recording then that's a bonus.

I would also like a gigging amp. I play a les paul and I'm into crunchy rock, NWOBHM , garage punk etc . Basically hot rodded british crunchy amp sounds.

Anyone like to help me out with some amps to try??? The orange range has changed quite a bit since i last went amp shopping!!

pedecamp
Orange Hero

Re: Ex orange owner wants to get back in the Orange club... What should I buy??!!!

Post by pedecamp » Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:31 pm

Which Rockerverb did you have? The Rockerverb III the latest rendition I think is the best of them. If you want something smaller look at the Rocker32, this amp is full featured. You liked your terror, look at the dual terror I believe is 30 watts.
Thunderverb 50

pattyzero
Tiny Terror

Re: Ex orange owner wants to get back in the Orange club... What should I buy??!!!

Post by pattyzero » Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:35 pm

pedecamp wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:31 pm
Which Rockerverb did you have? The Rockerverb III the latest rendition I think is the best of them. If you want something smaller look at the Rocker32, this amp is full featured. You liked your terror, look at the dual terror I believe is 30 watts.

I had the mIII 50 watt, its one of those things where it sounded great in the shop but I didn't really warm to it at band practice.
As much as I liekd the tt15 hard wired, the Dual Terror has too much glass in it for me!!!

pedecamp
Orange Hero

Post by pedecamp » Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:12 pm

pattyzero wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:35 pm
pedecamp wrote:

I had the mIII 50 watt, its one of those things where it sounded great in the shop but I didn't really warm to it at band practice.
As much as I liekd the tt15 hard wired, the Dual Terror has too much glass in it for me!!!
Maybe you need a Marshall, love my 2204, you did ask for British crunchy amp sounds, this can provide.
Thunderverb 50

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:41 pm

The Rocker 32 is cool, but you can't use it with extra cabs since it's a stereo amp FYI.

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:19 pm

Did you ever try the OR100? Now discontinued, but probably aligned to your past retro 50, but not quite that smooth. Lots of watt switching too, so could be interesting for you.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

langmurf
Rocker

Post by langmurf » Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:44 am

TTHW with a Fryette Power Station...
Orange Rocker 15 Combo, Orange Two Stroke
2007 Gibson Melody Maker; Cort Steinberger

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:13 am

Ok so your tastes may be similar to mine as I really like the TTHW and wasn't that taken with the RV50

Not sure if your looking for 2 amps?

The TTHW is a brilliant amp, awesome crunch tones, great for such as band practice If you liked that then I'd go for another one ....although you could easily pick up a normal TT until you can find a TTHW just to get you back to some Orange tone and then sell it on when you locate a TTHW.

I've not tried one but the new Rocker 32 I think may be worth checking out it's got loads of features, but unfortunately restricted to a combo with 10 inch speakers.....no head version.

After that what about the Ad30htc? You don't mention you need an Effects loop. If you like the TTHW I'm sure you'll like the crunch tones of this amp and the valve rectifier adds lovely sag. One channel set for crunch, one channel set cleanish but light crunch when you dig in. Not good at low volume mind as they sound very choked but easily loud enough for gigs and sounds great.
In any case second hand Ad30htc go for ,(rediculously) about half price of new so you could pick up second hand TT and Ad30htc for less than the price of a new R32. Have fun but try before you buy if you can.
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,
Fender elite Start, Gibson SG 61,fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Rocker 30

pattyzero
Tiny Terror

Post by pattyzero » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:55 pm

pedecamp wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:12 pm
pattyzero wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:35 pm
pedecamp wrote:

Maybe you need a Marshall, love my 2204, you did ask for British crunchy amp sounds, this can provide.
I hace a marshall 2203, I love them, but I find the feel and response of the oranges I had is different, plus the 2203 is loud as owt!!!

pattyzero
Tiny Terror

Post by pattyzero » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:00 pm

Ronnie Robinson wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:13 am
Ok so your tastes may be similar to mine as I really like the TTHW and wasn't that taken with the RV50

The TTHW is a brilliant amp, awesome crunch tones, great for such as band practice If you liked that then I'd go for another one ....although you could easily pick up a normal TT until you can find a TTHW just to get you back to some Orange tone and then sell it on when you locate a TTHW.

I've not tried one but the new Rocker 32 I think may be worth checking out it's got loads of features, but unfortunately restricted to a combo with 10 inch speakers.....no head version.

After that what about the Ad30htc? You don't mention you need an Effects loop. If you like the TTHW I'm sure you'll like the crunch tones of this amp and the valve rectifier adds lovely sag. One channel set for crunch, one channel set cleanish but light crunch when you dig in. Not good at low volume mind as they sound very choked but easily loud enough for gigs and sounds great.
In any case second hand Ad30htc go for ,(rediculously) about half price of new so you could pick up second hand TT and Ad30htc for less than the price of a new R32. Have fun but try before you buy if you can.

Hi ronnie yes I think I remember you had similar tastes to me when I was posting about buying the retro 50 after owning the tthw. Which part of the north are you from?? I seem to remember you're not too far from me!!

I did try an ad30 before i bought the retro 50, and I remember it being quite muddy and dark, maybe it might be worth another try??!

I don't need an FX loop, at the very most I'd be using a wah and tube screamer.

Maybe I'm a bit of a snob, but after playing/owning the TTHW and the Retro 50 I want to get back to that sound, I don't know how the standard production models compare.

But, if you're saying you like the TTHW and you're in the zone with the AD30, it's gotta be worth a try!!

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:42 pm

The AD30TC is an outstanding amp.

Some of the best cleans I've ever heard, and thick fuzzy crunch.....
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:26 pm

pattyzero wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:00 pm
Ronnie Robinson wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:13 am

Hi ronnie yes I think I remember you had similar tastes to me when I was posting about buying the retro 50 after owning the tthw. Which part of the north are you from?? I seem to remember you're not too far from me!!

I did try an ad30 before i bought the retro 50, and I remember it being quite muddy and dark, maybe it might be worth another try??!

I don't need an FX loop, at the very most I'd be using a wah and tube screamer.

Maybe I'm a bit of a snob, but after playing/owning the TTHW and the Retro 50 I want to get back to that sound, I don't know how the standard production models compare.

But, if you're saying you like the TTHW and you're in the zone with the AD30, it's gotta be worth a try!!
Hi yes I'm in south County Durham.

I do think it's definitely worth a try ...and Although the Overdrive tone of the Ad30htc is not exactly the same as the TThw I think it's a much better sounding and versatile amp....also good with pedals provide d the gains not too high.

I've never found it muddy .....not sure what how much gain you use or what pickup's but with a telecaster or paf humbuckers it's great.....but it got to be turned up, sounds crap otherwise really choked.
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,
Fender elite Start, Gibson SG 61,fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Rocker 30

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:26 pm

As I sit back and finish the third Keith's IPA, the more I think you should just go balls to the wall. Two full stacks, OR100 on top of one, Thunderverb 200 on top of the other. Orange Detonator to connect them.

pedecamp
Orange Hero

Post by pedecamp » Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:33 am

How about an OR50, never played one but always liked the videos.
Thunderverb 50

thejay
Orange Expert

Post by thejay » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:50 am

Jondog wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:26 pm
As I sit back and finish the third Keith's IPA, the more I think you should just go balls to the wall. Two full stacks, OR100 on top of one, Thunderverb 200 on top of the other. Orange Detonator to connect them.
Haha that would be awesome
Oranges - R32, OR50, R30, RVMKIII, OR100, AD30, OB212, CB212 (2x)
Non Orange - Mesa, Friedman, Vox & Marshall
Former Oranges - TT, JRT, OR15, RVMKII
YouTube https://bit.ly/2pSp3sk
http://bigbattlebear.bandcamp.com