different guitars means diff. amp settings

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

kars0747
Tiny Terror

different guitars means diff. amp settings

Post by kars0747 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:33 pm

My two favorite guitars are telecaster and a les paul. However - it is like two different worlds. The thing that works with humbuckers regarding your amp does not necessarily work with singlecoils. How do you guys go about it. Do you just turn the knobs on the amp or do you do it with pedals. I mean - it is quite a lot of tweaking as one thing is different voicings from guitar to guitar and another is different output
Les Paul, Orange AD50 CS, ppc 212 ob with 3ow green back heritage (g12h 30) and a greenback (g12m), Boss tuner, Cry Baby, Electro Harmonix Electric Mistress, T-Rex replica and the orange sustain pedal

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Re: different guitars means diff. amp settings

Post by bclaire » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:05 pm

I don't change anything. I switch at will between Teles, Les Paul, Johnny A,. Duesenbergs, Epi Supernova, etc.

I stopped playing my Strats because it just wasn't cutting it switching but when I used an EP Booster with a Strat it was all back.

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:23 pm

On occasion if my Tele is "sounding/feeling" a bit thin I'll just bump up the gain to the next notch. Aside from that, I don't touch anything. Most of the time I just leave it as is.

fiveightandten
Orange Master

Post by fiveightandten » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:46 pm

IMO, that's part of the allure of playing different guitars; they sound different from one another. With most of my amps, I don't adjust the EQ when I switch guitars. Though with my Vox stuff, I turn the treble knob down when I'm using single coil guitars and turn it back up for humbuckers. It's one knob, no big deal.

Does this mean you tried a Tele with your AD50?
'71 GRO100 || '96 OR-80 || AD30 || '64 AC-50 || AC-30TBX || Hiwatt DR504 || HI-TONE HT30
LP Standard || LP Studio || LP Custom Lite || Ric 620 || Ric 360 || MIA Tele || SG 61 RI

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:58 am

No change, although I balance the pickup's so they have the same volume output, apart from that i play certain songs on certain guitars which I feel are best suited.
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,
Fender elite Start, Gibson SG 61,fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Rocker 30

kars0747
Tiny Terror

Post by kars0747 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:39 am

fiveightandten wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:46 pm
IMO, that's part of the allure of playing different guitars; they sound different from one another. With most of my amps, I don't adjust the EQ when I switch guitars. Though with my Vox stuff, I turn the treble knob down when I'm using single coil guitars and turn it back up for humbuckers. It's one knob, no big deal.

Yeah, sort of - a squier Tele, the cheap version. Hopefully I will borrow a real Tele to play all summer. It does sound nice though, and very, very different. No dark amp feeling for sure. I feel I have optimized my sound for the Les Paul, I feel like adding a little gain and bass when playing the Tele and shifting the palmer attenuator from 25% to only 35% attenuation.
Les Paul, Orange AD50 CS, ppc 212 ob with 3ow green back heritage (g12h 30) and a greenback (g12m), Boss tuner, Cry Baby, Electro Harmonix Electric Mistress, T-Rex replica and the orange sustain pedal

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:10 pm

kars0747 wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:39 am
fiveightandten wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:46 pm

Yeah, sort of - a squier Tele, the cheap version. Hopefully I will borrow a real Tele to play all summer. It does sound nice though, and very, very different. No dark amp feeling for sure. I feel I have optimized my sound for the Les Paul, I feel like adding a little gain and bass when playing the Tele and shifting the palmer attenuator from 25% to only 35% attenuation.
I've had some fantastic squiers in my hands, sone I would quite happily have kept, and gigged. They do a great job of offering high quality low price instruments.

I've been particularly find of the vintage modified telecasters. Great axes.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

guinefort

Post by guinefort » Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:47 pm

AS far as settings are concerned, I always stick to the same setting whatever guitar I used. However, when I occasionally plays some early Sabbath tunes, I set the mid to zero.

I mostly use Gibson guitars. My main one is a Gibson LP 60 Tribute with 2 P90 and a SG 70 Tribute with 2 mini-humbuckers. I also recently bought second hand an ESP LTD EC-256 in excellent condition. I wonder if other members here have this particular guitar which can be bought second hand for quite a small price. Compared to the higher end Epiphone LP the store had in stock, this LTD sounded much better and was much cheaper. Also, it felt in hand much more like a well built guitar. I have been playing since 1968 on electrics and in my humble opinion, these are a very good alternative if one is short on cash. BTW, the first song I learned was Gloria by The Shadows of Knights way back in 1966 LOL!!! I wonder if anyone here remember that one.

Dark Helmet
Orange Master

Post by Dark Helmet » Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:15 pm

Depends on the day and my mood...

Back when I actually played shows/gigs, I would have things pretty much dialed in so when I swapped guitars/amps, volumes were the same and I could accomplish any changes needed throughout the set with the guitars' controls or just bouncing between channels (I usually had 4 available AD30TC & TV50).

I also have a virtually non-existent pedalboard... wah, delay, and switches for the amps... so I have to create whatever sounds I want almost exclusively with instrument and amp.

since I don't really play out anymore, I do a lot more fiddling with the amps...
Dark Lord of the Schwartz
AD15/12
AD30TC
AD50
AD140
Thunderverb50

2016 Gibson LP Standard
2012 Gibson LP Classic Custom
2017 Gibson Firebird Studio T
Epi Les Paul (used to be) Standard
2018 Taylor 616CE

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:25 pm

It's normal to adjust settings for some guitars.

It just depends in what use you make of the guitar in your particular setting.

But adjusting for low end, brightness, volume and gain is all good. It only depends on what you want to achieve - gwtti g a similar tone, and playing on the different guitar tonality with minimum adjustments.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Mystic38
Orange Expert

Post by Mystic38 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:14 pm

the biggest thing for me is the relative output of my pickups.. and seeing the way it interacts with the gain control (which really is an input level control)..
in my case if i am planning on switching guitars between strat and lp, i use a clean boost solely with a strat to up the output to parity with the level of the lp ..so amount of gain/volume is similar, but of course tonal character is still all strat.
-Ian-

Orange Rocker 30c, PPC212 & PPC112, Fender DRRI, Marshall 2266
2012 Gibson LP Standard, 2001 Gibson LP DC Standard
2009 Fender Am. Standard Strat, 1999 Fender Am. Hardtail Strat
2014 G&L Fallout

***insert great photos of gear here***