Limited OR50 Tones?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

turdpolisher

Limited OR50 Tones?

Post by turdpolisher » Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:22 pm

I wondered if anyone has had success with using an OR50 (not the 40th Anniversary version) in any types of music other than stoner/doom/sludge/metal/butt rock style music. I have had one for a while and keep getting frustrated by what seems like a lack of flexibility in tone. Specifically, it seems geared toward single string or octave stuff, and too muddy and bass-y for chords. I am playing through a closed back PPC212.

I have an AD30 HTC, and there seems to be absolutely no overlap at all in the tones between those two amps. On the other side, I had a TH30 for a short time, and it seemed to be in the neighborhood of the OR50 (just to a lesser degree).

The Orange website's description of the OR50 states that "pushing the power stage yields superlative Classic Rock and Blues tones", but it seems like the EQ prevents the OR50 from being a realistic tool for these genres. Has anyone had better luck in using an OR50 for Classic Rock and Blues?

------
This is my first time posting and I wanted to say thanks to everyone who posts on this forum. I've used it to research several purchases in the past.

Eddie Famine
Orange Hero

Re: Limited OR50 Tones?

Post by Eddie Famine » Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:59 pm

Classic rock is about all I play with my OR50. I'm not sure how you have yours set, but not getting a "classic rock " sound seems impossible.
Turn the master volume all the way up . Turn the punch knob to about 3:00. Tone controls at noon.
If that doesn't do it, something's wrong.

turdpolisher

Post by turdpolisher » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:26 pm

Sounds good. I will give that a try. Have you tried just switching off the master volume with a foot switch, or does that give you different results than turning it up all the way?

Eddie Famine
Orange Hero

Post by Eddie Famine » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:38 pm

It doesn't matter which way you do it.
I have never used the foot switch.

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:05 am

The Or50 should be versatile and be a good pedal platform when set cleaner .....muddy chords??, You need to experiment more with the HF control and how that interacts with your gain settings.
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,
Fender elite Start, Gibson SG 61,fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Rocker 30

kars0747
Tiny Terror

Post by kars0747 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:34 am

Agree with the hf drive/presence knob. On my ad50 (which I guess is somewhat in the same ball park) that made a huge difference when I started having it around 2-3o´clock. Also popping TAD RT033/ECC803S in v1 really cleaned up the sound and changing the power amp tubes as well as having it biased and using the 50 watt setting instead of the 30 watt
Les Paul, Orange AD50 CS, ppc 212 ob with 3ow green back heritage (g12h 30) and a greenback (g12m), Boss tuner, Cry Baby, Electro Harmonix Electric Mistress, T-Rex replica and the orange sustain pedal

thejay
Orange Expert

Post by thejay » Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:16 am

OR50 is pretty capable of anything in my opinion, I would do as others have said and use the HF knob.
Oranges - R32, OR50, R30, RVMKIII, OR100, AD30, OB212, CB212 (2x)
Non Orange - Mesa, Friedman, Vox & Marshall
Former Oranges - TT, JRT, OR15, RVMKII
YouTube https://bit.ly/2pSp3sk
http://bigbattlebear.bandcamp.com

turdpolisher

Post by turdpolisher » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:11 pm

Thanks, everyone, for the suggestions. I will keep working with it based on your recommendations. :)

pedecamp
Orange Hero

Post by pedecamp » Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:42 am

turdpolisher wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:22 pm
I wondered if anyone has had success with using an OR50 (not the 40th Anniversary version) in any types of music other than stoner/doom/sludge/metal/butt rock style music. I have had one for a while and keep getting frustrated by what seems like a lack of flexibility in tone. Specifically, it seems geared toward single string or octave stuff, and too muddy and bass-y for chords. I am playing through a closed back PPC212.

I have an AD30 HTC, and there seems to be absolutely no overlap at all in the tones between those two amps. On the other side, I had a TH30 for a short time, and it seemed to be in the neighborhood of the OR50 (just to a lesser degree).

The Orange website's description of the OR50 states that "pushing the power stage yields superlative Classic Rock and Blues tones", but it seems like the EQ prevents the OR50 from being a realistic tool for these genres. Has anyone had better luck in using an OR50 for Classic Rock and Blues?

------
This is my first time posting and I wanted to say thanks to everyone who posts on this forum. I've used it to research several purchases in the past.
Yours doesn't sound like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFNLMEgVGb8
Thunderverb 50

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:32 am

pedecamp wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:42 am

Yours doesn't sound like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFNLMEgVGb8
Every time I hear Sef play alone, I really like what he does.
I think he's totally wasted in your favourite enemies - they, as band, sound just like any other alternative rock band, and he doesnt get to shine in it.

He can clearly play some very rich melodic rhythm, the type that I like very much, but you never hear that in that band????
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

turdpolisher

Post by turdpolisher » Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:02 pm

Pedecamp -- No, I have not heard that tone out of my amp, yet. That demo is excellent, and a big part of why I (and probably a lot of other people) bought this amp. I think the guitar/amp combo was perfect. I have been playing a jag, but my bridge pickup has a lower output, vintage sound - maybe too round of a tone for this amp. I plan to try a tele to see if it brings the voice of the amp closer to what I hear in this demo.

I should say that in practice, a couple of days ago, I was getting closer to what I wanted to hear by taking Eddie's suggestion: Master Volume all the way up, HF Drive around 3 o'clock, and EQ controls around noon.

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:37 am

As you have probably gathered from the forum, tele's go hand in hand with Orange amps so highly recommend you try one !
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,
Fender elite Start, Gibson SG 61,fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Rocker 30

bhurst462

Post by bhurst462 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:41 pm

I played everything from Hard Rock to Classic Rock to even some Country. The OR50 seemed to cover it all fine. Only pedal i used with it was an EP booster from time to time. It should be able to cover the style of music you are wanting to play. The one thing I did, and to me it made a huge difference was replacing the El34s with KT77s. It really opened the amp up.
Orange AD140 HTC
Marshall Vintage Modern 2466
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266c
Orange Cabs
Splawn Cabs

"previous Orange's - OR100, OR50, Rocker 30, AD30HTC, TH30, Rockerverb, Tiny Terror "