JRT Send Output?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Gordy G
Tiny Terror

JRT Send Output?

Post by Gordy G » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:22 am

Hi,what signal comes out of the send output of a JRT?,i've never used a S/R circuit & just curious how it works.
Thanks.

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Re: JRT Send Output?

Post by Boy_Narf » Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:02 pm

I assume you are talking about the Send/Receive effects loop jacks?

Send is the sound/signal coming from the preamp.
Receive is the power amp input. You can plug straight into here if you want to bypass the preamp circuit.

Hope that clears it up.

Gordy G
Tiny Terror

Post by Gordy G » Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:05 pm

Thanks for replying,yes i meant the send/receive circuit,so can the send signal be used to send the Pre Amp signal to another Amp input & is this a safe thing to do?
In this case would the Volume control of the Jim Root Terror affect the signal level ?or is the signal level constant at the send output?.

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:09 pm

Yes you can do that, but make sure you have a speaker load hooked into your JRT. If you sent to another amp via the SEND, the gain knob and EQ would work, but I don't think the master will since it affects the volume of the power amp. If you plug direct into the return, then the master will control the volume of the amp, but the gain and preamp knobs won't do anything.

PBA
Rocker

Post by PBA » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:07 pm

On the OR15 the volume is BEFORE the effects loop. I suspect the JRT may be similar. Things plugged into the effects return need to be VERY carefully adjusted at source for volume!

Gordy G
Tiny Terror

Post by Gordy G » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:58 pm

So the Volume on the JRT,controls the output from the Send?,it isn't a fixed level from the send?
Sorry to ask again i'm about dumb about this & to be fair most other things as well.

PBA
Rocker

Post by PBA » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:33 am

Gordy G wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:58 pm
So the Volume on the JRT,controls the output from the Send?,it isn't a fixed level from the send?
Sorry to ask again i'm about dumb about this & to be fair most other things as well.
I am not an expert. As far as I know, all the amp controls, including volume are before the send output so will all serve to alter to signal out. If you plug into the send socket on the rear of the amp, it disconnects from the power amp and no signal reaches it until you plug back into the return.
An effects send will never be at a fixed volume level as there are guitar volume controls as well as preamp controls. It is however likely to be set at a particular impedance and maximum level to suit the kind of equipment intended for use in an effects loop. The OR15 loop works fine with pedals and I suspect the JRT would too. I've not tried anything else.
So you can take the preamp signal and send it to a different amp. Ideally, you would send it to a power amp or to the effects return on another amp. If you do this, the power amp in the JRT is not used BUT it MUST still be connected to a load - speaker or dummy.

Alternatively, you can take an different preamp and plug it into the JRT effects return to use the JRT power amp. If you were to do this, then the JRT controls have no influence on the sound produced. This means that volume control comes only from the preamp used.

Other amps place the effects loop before the master volume. If you were to use one of those as your preamp with the JRT as the power amp you would have a non-master volume set up. It may sound glorious but it's very likely to be loud! If you do it the other way, then at worst you'll have two master volumes.

Gordy G
Tiny Terror

Post by Gordy G » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:46 am

Thanks again,so it looks like i can't use it in the way i was going to experiment with,i thought i could just send the JRT pre signal to another amp input & still use the JRT in tandem,but your post tells me i would have to have a signal coming back into the JRT return,which i can't do.
Cheers,Graham.

Gordy G
Tiny Terror

Post by Gordy G » Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:25 pm

Just in case anyone is interested in this,if you send the signal from the Send(in my case to my R30C input)the JRT is still outputting to the Speaker,without a return to the JRT.

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:58 pm

Gordy G wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:25 pm
Just in case anyone is interested in this,if you send the signal from the Send(in my case to my R30C input)the JRT is still outputting to the Speaker,without a return to the JRT.
Very interesting.

So you drove both your R30C and #4 without a return in the fx loop of #4?

I wouldn't have expected that.
Was the output the same level as usual? (Say you keep playing and unplug the fx send to R30C, does the #4 volume change?)

And how did it all sound? Did you get what you where after?
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Gordy G
Tiny Terror

Post by Gordy G » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:35 am

Les Paul Lover wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:58 pm
Gordy G wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:25 pm
Very interesting.

So you drove both your R30C and #4 without a return in the fx loop of #4?
Yes that's correct

I wouldn't have expected that.
Was the output the same level as usual? (Say you keep playing and unplug the fx send to R30C, does the #4 volume change?)
I didn't actually test that(only plugged in at home)i feel the volume out of the JRT dosen't drop,but the volume on JRT dose control the send output into the R30C,i will check for volume drop today & let you know.

And how did it all sound? Did you get what you where after?
Once gain this is only at home volume,but my impression is that it worked pretty good,the V30 in the R30,seemed to benefit from having my home made(converted Cube)playing along with it & with the R30C in tandem there appeared to be a lot more guts than the JRT on its own.But we'll see at the gig on Friday :)
An unexpected benefit seems to be that i can also use the Dirty ch.to get a lead boost(once adjusted),maybe it all goes together to act a bit like a lower output RV,if you close 1 eye :D