OT: PA Speaker Assistance Please (Sensitivity Question).

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

OT: PA Speaker Assistance Please (Sensitivity Question).

Post by Boy_Narf » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:59 pm

Hello Everyone!

So I've been running a Powerpod mixer/amp and a set of Warfdale VS10 speakers for over a decade now. The amp started to cut out on channel one, so I replaced it with a Yorkville MicroMix. Definitely improved the clarity of the system, but I need just a touch more headroom. We use the PA only for vocals (2 singers) in my three piece band. At rehearsal the amp is cranked to the point where the clip light is always flashing. Even just a hair louder, and the peak light is on solid.

Now I've looked into my speakers and they have a sensitivity of 94, and a horizontal dispersion of 60 degrees. I then took a look at the fairly inexpensive Yorkville YX10 speakers, and they have a sensitivity of 97, and a dispersion of 100 degrees. So my question is, to all of you speaker professionals, would moving to a speaker with slightly better sensitivity allow for more volume at a lower gain level? It is only 3DB, so I'm not sure it will make a drastic difference, but that's why I'm here :) I do know that the dispersion moving from 60-100 will help a bit especially in the small room we practice, perhaps that will be enough as we would perceive more volume since there is more of a sound spread.

Alternatively I'm looking into the L1 compact, and EXM400 for a portable PA system. But if I go with a speaker upgrade to the YX10's (same weight as my current speakers), vs a new compact system, I'll save about $1000.

Thanks everyone.

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Re: OT: PA Speaker Assistance Please (Sensitivity Question).

Post by bclaire » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:32 pm

My initial response is that the MicroMix is seriously underpowered. If it is clipping constantly, it doesn't have enough oomph. You need more power....

Personally, I'm not a fan of anything Bose... which is a shame since they're in the next town over from me and I know people who work there. I bought a Turbosound iP2000 for my acoustic gigs and it's plenty loud enough and about $1K less than the equivalent Bose. But I need a small board for multiple instruments and reverb, etc. for it. The Bose might come with a small-ish two channel board - but I'd try either the Turbosound or get a poweramp and separate mixer to use with your existing speakers.

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Re: OT: PA Speaker Assistance Please (Sensitivity Question).

Post by Boy_Narf » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:17 pm

Yes it is blinking, but wouldn't a speaker with higher sensitivity mean I could get more volume at the same gain levels?

The tubosound stuff also isn't anywhere near where I live, and I won't make a blind purchase anymore. These "array" setups are just tweeters and subs, lacking a bit in the mid range I would assume. The bose L1 Compact is a serious rip off once you get the T1 and power cable. The Yorkville version is pretty weak RMS wise, and doesn't have the same spread as the L1.

Probably best I just go in with my pa and do a shootout.