NBD (again): ESP LTD B-1005MS

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

OU818
Orange Master

NBD (again): ESP LTD B-1005MS

Post by OU818 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:54 pm

After witnessing the glory of an AD200 at volume the OB1-300 just wasn't cutting it for me anymore. Not saying it wasn't still awesome, just that I had no real need for it as I would always choose the AD over it.

Anyway, whilst waiting for a Dingwall to turn up (could be anywhere up to 6-10 months) I decided to look into other multi-scale basses as I just haven't been happy with the 4th and 5th string of my 34" scale bass, especially when tuned down half a step, the E loses its snap and the B just goes flubby.

So with selling the OB1 and another 8 watt amp I had made for me when I was gigging with a trio, I managed to snag one of these ESP LTD B-1005MS basses that are made at the LTD Korean plant to more or less the Dingwall specs.

34" scale on the G and 37" on the B. This thing just punches like Chuck Norris. With the Active preamp and the Nordstrand Big Splits I am able to pull out every tone I can think of. Also the addition of an Active/Passive switch nearly allows me to sink into the mix for those times that subtlety is called for :mrgreen:

The fit and finish of this bass is incredible and the neck alone is a thing of beauty.

The only issue was due to its size (123cm tip to tail) it took me awhile to find a case to suit it. Ended up buying the Mono Bass Sleeve. Fits like a glove.

Had an audition on Saturday with a Post-Rock/Noise Rock band who draw a lot of influences from Shellac, Melvins and Slint. Happy to say that the AD200 hasn't sounded better and with this bass it just held up the bottom end fantastically. Now to hope I get the gig :D

Orange Gear:
AD200B MkIII
OBC810

Non-Orange:
Bergantino NXT212
Bergantino Forte D
Woogie Lessie
Laney DBV-410

Basses:
Ernie Ball Stingray 4H
Rickenbacker 4003
Gibson Midtown Signature
Gibson Thunderbird
Gibson Nikki Sixx Thunderbird
Gibson Les Paul Bass

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Re: NBD (again): ESP LTD B-1005MS

Post by Les Paul Lover » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:08 pm

Congrats!!!!

I tried to comment on your other bass , but lost that comment thanks to SQL errors and getting logged off.

They both look ace!!

I'd very much like to try one of the offset basses. They exist as standard guitars too, though I'm not sure how practical they would be then for regular chords.

Again - both your new basses look fantastic!!!!

And glad you AD200 gamble is paying off big time. You must (should) be very pleased with yourself!!!
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:57 pm

How is it playing-wise? It looks like the fan effect is most prominent in the upper frets so I'm guessing not that different from a regular bass to play...

OU818
Orange Master

Post by OU818 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:03 am

bclaire wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:57 pm
How is it playing-wise? It looks like the fan effect is most prominent in the upper frets so I'm guessing not that different from a regular bass to play...
The only place I notice it is on the first fret when playing a fast run as my finger hits the nut as it is on an angle. Other than that, no adjustment was required. It is extremely comfortable to play and the 16" radius is great. The biggest benefit on the fan frets is the added scale length. Other than that the ergonomics don't seem to be a hinderance or a great improvement.
Orange Gear:
AD200B MkIII
OBC810

Non-Orange:
Bergantino NXT212
Bergantino Forte D
Woogie Lessie
Laney DBV-410

Basses:
Ernie Ball Stingray 4H
Rickenbacker 4003
Gibson Midtown Signature