Micro Dark..the perfect vocal microphone amp!!

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

MikeD
Orange Expert

Micro Dark..the perfect vocal microphone amp!!

Post by MikeD » Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:59 pm

A dabble in harmonica and it has it´s place in a few songs in our set. Normally I just give it a go through my song microphone and hope the sound guy hasn´t nodded off seeing that the volume does a massive peak :lol: :lol: !! Since I always have the micro dark with as a back up amp I figured I might as well hook it up directly to the mixer, through the earphone jack output, and use it as a dedicated harmonica amp, together with my Elvis style microphone (not Shure unfortunately). That way I have full control over the sound and the volume. I have a green bullet but normally I have to hold my heavy headed Firebird whilst playing so I need a mic on a stand.

Well the green bullet through the micro dark was just amazing!! Pure blues grit with amazing depth, I just added some plate reverb to get an old school sound. The biggest problem is that the Elvis mic and the micro was perfect for lead vocals. My band mates eyes lit up like it was Christmas when we rolled through the first song....simply awesome. So it looks like I´ll be needing another micro dark for my bullet :lol: :lol: And of course the Heil "the Fin" seeing that Heil is simply the best vocal microphone out there and it´s a great excuse to get one :)
https://heilsound.com/products/the-fin-2/
Gibson: Angus Young SG 03 / LP Standard 05 / Firebird V 01
Orange: RV50 mkII & ppc212-c / Micro Dark & ppc112 / TH30 Combo

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Re: Micro Dark..the perfect vocal microphone amp!!

Post by bclaire » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:12 pm

Ha - awesome!

I recorded harmonica through my AD140TC once - talk about overkill!

MikeD
Orange Expert

Post by MikeD » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:33 pm

...there is no such thing as overkill. One must test all options :lol: :lol: 8) !!
Gibson: Angus Young SG 03 / LP Standard 05 / Firebird V 01
Orange: RV50 mkII & ppc212-c / Micro Dark & ppc112 / TH30 Combo

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:08 pm

Ace!!!!

Good thing you tried it!!!!
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:15 pm

Always cool to find alternative uses for gear which work a treat.

I went the other way years ago, buying a small 10W valve PA amp to practice vocals with. A mate suggested plugging my Strat into it - total revelation. Superb cleans and the smoothest overdrive you can imagine. Just bunged a couple of different value 'bright caps' on two channel inputs for different flavours and it remains a real stunner. Cost me all of 25 quid... :D

Yeah, experiment!!!

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!