Used market gotten greedy?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Re: Used market gotten greedy?

Post by Boy_Narf » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:19 pm

I just ran across a great example of this. Guy was selling two passive PA cabs and two tri stands for $30 off brand new retail price. I emailed him and said, "um..." and he says, well it comes with two tri stands so it's a good deal. Take another 40% off the price brother, and we will get talking.

Wendigo
Orange Master

Post by Wendigo » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:21 am

They also won't pay enough when I sell something anymore, but expect me to pay through the nose when they sell something. I had my Dual Dark 50 head up for about 2/3 of the new price, in mint condition and still with 2 years of warranty left; no bites, even after a month...wtf? :evil:

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:15 pm

Orange amps are a tough one. It took me two years of trying to sell my MINT RV100MK1 with new tubes and a cover before I just traded it to the store for an R30C. Best offer I got was $1200. Not much disposable cash floating around these days. Plus I can always go to the store and finance the amp for next to nothing which I think has been the biggest killer of the used marked. People seem to be more okay with Financing gear these days. I refused to finance gear up until last year when I fell in love with a Martin, but noticed I didn't have 2K cash to spare. I paid $180 a month for a year and have a glorious guitar for it. The interest is something pretty low like 1.4% each month on the remaining balance. I suppose a HELOC would offer a lower interest rate if you have/can get one. Not sure of many folks who want to burrow against their property for used gear though.

Heck, Axe music has 0% (1 year) financing plans all year long for Canada 150. Why would I not finance?

The only problem is now I don't fear $4000+ guitars/amps. I used to see a price tag like that and run out of the store, now I stop and consider how much the payments will be hahahah. I saw a custom shop Esquire in the store the other day and let's just say it was on the pricey side of things :) Good thing it was in green, or I would have been posting for a NGD.

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:02 pm

Boy_Narf wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:15 pm
. I used to see a price tag like that and run out of the store, now I stop and consider how much the payments will be hahahah. I saw a custom shop Esquire in the store the other day and let's just say it was on the pricey side of things :) Good thing it was in green, or I would have been posting for a NGD.
:lol:

Seriously, we have similar scheme, 0% over 10 months. I bought my RV50 and PPC212 through this scheme, it was brilliant. I did something similar too with my LP, just took out a credit card with 0% purchases for 1 year. Didn't out anything else on that credit card, and never used it again after.

But these days..... I'm all about the used market. I'm more confident in my market knowledge, and can tell a good guitar if I have one in my hands.

Same with amps. A dirty tolex puts people off, but 5 or 10mns and a few baby wipes, and I've made a number a so so amps looks very respectable. Small tolex nicks tidy up very well too with a spot of super glue.

I get great deals that way.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:31 pm

Yea used market is great if you have the cash flow. My question is why would I spend 25% off on used gear when I can just finance it for free? When I first got into Kijiji land, most of the stuff went around 40-60% off new, making it great for buyers. Now I'm seeing stuff for 10-15% off. Why even bother with used? Heck I'm starting to think the rental thing is the best course of action. Rental prices are SOO low, it's getting cheaper to "lease" gear than to outright buy it. I can count the number of things on one hand that I have actually had for 5+ years. Most other stuff breaks, gets traded, or sold off at a loss. "Hey we have a big gig on the weekend, I need a 412 cab!" Ask me a few months back and I would have rushed out to buy it for that one gig. Now I would just go rent it for the night. Won't need to worry about trashing it, or what happens if it breaks. Oh that would be SWEET! Heck next time I have a gig with my bass I might just rent a fridge every-time I play a show. Sure beats storing a big cab at home, and worrying about bashing it up.

Oh I just remembered, I've got a friend who has a never ending finance plan. Whenever he wants something from L&M, he just adds it to his plan. He has been doing that for years! Then again he is horrible with money so he wouldn't be able to get gear any other way :) I don't think he has every bought anything used. He is all about the new car smell.

P.S. I hear ya on the dirty tolex. Orange gear get grungy fast, which is probably why my amazing R30C sat on the store floor for nearly a decade. I busted in there knowing how easy it is to clean off the black scuffs, and came out with a brand new looking NOS amp for a great deal. Tolex tears still put me off a little though, but I'm starting to care less in my medium age. If I buy something to play it out then I don't care what it looks like. If I buy something to hoard in my collection I want it immaculate.

murkofaeons
Tiny Terror

Post by murkofaeons » Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:48 pm

This drives me crazy y'all. Why would I buy from a 3rd party for new-with-coupon price and no buyer protection? And if I'm selling and the item has any cosmetic defect, folks expect me to give it away for free.

fiveightandten
Orange Master

Post by fiveightandten » Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:30 pm

It's not so much the sellers as it's eBay and Reverb driving market prices up.

Selling a $500 guitar/amp on eBay:
10% cut for eBay + 3% cut for PayPal
($500 x .1) + ($500 x .03) = $65

Selling a $500 guitar/amp on Reverb:
3.5% cut for Reverb + 3% cut for PayPal
($500 x .035) + ($500 x .03) = $32.50

So if you're selling an item online on one of the big 2, you're loosing a huge amount of money, relative to the selling price of the item. It's actually even bigger than this because they hit you for listing fees as well. Sellers know this, so they list an item higher to compensate for the fees. The differential isn't going to them, it's going to Reverb or eBay.

Then if someone is going to sell something on Craigslist or on a forum classified ad, they go to Reverb and eBay to reference the going rate...and guess what happens...you get those inflated prices ending up on other selling avenues too.

I understand eBay and Reverb are running a business. But eBay in particular is just plain greedy. Their fees have risen exponentially in recent years. They have the market cornered for online selling, and they're making an absolute killing on it. If you stop to think about the numbers...10% of every item, plus listing fees. That's a staggering amount of money. I refuse to sell on eBay. I have some gear I'd like to move, but they're high ticket items, and I just refuse to sell $1000 amp there and have $130+ taken off the top of the sale to go to eBay and PayPal. That's just crazy. I'd rather sell locally for $870. It's the same thing.

-Nick
'71 GRO100 || '96 OR-80 || AD30 || '64 AC-50 || AC-30TBX || Hiwatt DR504 || HI-TONE HT30
LP Standard || LP Studio || LP Custom Lite || Ric 620 || Ric 360 || MIA Tele || SG 61 RI

Sooner
Orange Master

Post by Sooner » Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:06 pm

fiveightandten wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:30 pm

According to the eBay website their cut is only 3.5% for a guitar. I think that goes for all musical instruments.

http://www.fees.ebay.com/feeweb/feecalculator
Sooner
AD1512 Serial No. 001

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:01 pm

I have no real issues with eBay taking 10%. I just factor that in the selling price.

EBay has usually been the fastest way for me to sell amps and guitars, so long as you're ready to package it well and send it. And, after the 13.4% eBay and PayPal take, it is still the best return I could consider.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

fiveightandten
Orange Master

Post by fiveightandten » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:57 am

Sooner wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:06 pm
fiveightandten wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:30 pm

According to the eBay website their cut is only 3.5% for a guitar. I think that goes for all musical instruments.

http://www.fees.ebay.com/feeweb/feecalculator
Interesting, they must have changed that recently. It seems they specifically lowered final value fees only for the musical instrument category (guitars and basses). I bet they were loosing too much money to Reverb. I find it funny that they matched Reverb's rate.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/fees.html
'71 GRO100 || '96 OR-80 || AD30 || '64 AC-50 || AC-30TBX || Hiwatt DR504 || HI-TONE HT30
LP Standard || LP Studio || LP Custom Lite || Ric 620 || Ric 360 || MIA Tele || SG 61 RI

langmurf
Rocker

Post by langmurf » Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:53 am

I've had both my tube amps up on CL for a while... both priced considerably below average asking price on eBay or Reverb. A few bites on each, but they're both still here. I'd rather keep the TTHW... and probably will because it is such an awesome amp. Neither one can be purchased new now, so that argument doesn't apply here.
Orange Rocker 15 Combo, Orange Two Stroke
2007 Gibson Melody Maker; Cort Steinberger

Dark Helmet
Orange Master

Post by Dark Helmet » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:49 pm

I'm just happy if the gear I want is available in the western hemisphere....

AD50 & OR100 shopping suuuuuuuuucks....
Dark Lord of the Schwartz
AD15/12
AD30TC
AD50
AD140
Thunderverb50

2016 Gibson LP Standard
2012 Gibson LP Classic Custom
2017 Gibson Firebird Studio T
Epi Les Paul (used to be) Standard
2018 Taylor 616CE