Just tried the Rocker 32.

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Just tried the Rocker 32.

Post by Boy_Narf » Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:29 am

WELL!!!

I had some time after work and popped into my trusty L&M. Couldn't resist the R32 sitting on the floor so gave it a try.

Natural Channel: Seemed darker than the R30C. It didn't have the sparkle that I'm accustomed to. It did seem much louder though. Wasn't at all into it. Would probably sound better with a Tele or something brighter.

Dirty Channel: Well, It's thinner than the R30C that's for sure. Palm muting metal stuff just didn't shake the room like the R30C does, but I will say it doesn't have the odd bubbly lower mid thing that sometimes creeps in with the R30C. Most likely due to the 10's putting out less low mid. What was strange is how the amp seemed to have no definition. While playing more complex chords the higher strings were nearly in audible and even picking them separate after strumming the chord was hard to hear. I really though the 10's would improve clarity but I guess not. What I will say is that the top end is smoother. I didn't detect any "fizz" like I sometimes get from the R30C at lower volumes. I will also say the R32 cleans up much better than the R30C. Wow! With the gain cranked up to 3 o'clock, I could roll the volume back to 7 and it was pretty close to crystal clean. SUPER DYNAMIC if you are into that kind of thing.

P.S. I was playing with a Les Paul Jr./Special with the dual P90's as it was the closest to my LPJ at home.

Anyway that's my impression. Even if a head version comes out, I think I will pass on it. Great news though because that means... OB1-300... HERE I COME!

Jabberwocky
Orange Expert

Re: Just tried the Rocker 32.

Post by Jabberwocky » Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:17 pm

Interesting.....I wrote up a wee review on the R32 here a few weeks back and I passed on this amp too, mainly because it certainly is a much thinner sound than the R30 which I love. Just wasn't the tone monster I expected it to be. Pity, as the 32 has some useful features that the R30 doesn't have......half power switch and FX loop and lots of options for stereo, clean and dirty sounds combined and what not. Guess I was hoping for an R30 with these features. Upside is I got to keep my £825 to spend on other goodies!
Fender USA Standard Stratocaster
Gordon Smith Galaxy
Gibson Les Paul Classic
Faith Jupiter Jumbo Acoustic
Orange Rocker 30 HD
Orange Micro Terror
Orange PPC 212 OB
Lead
Plectrum
Attitude
Sorted!

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:35 pm

Not getting much love for the R32 !!!

I do wonder why a head version has not been introduced? and wonder if the R32 would sound better with your favourite 12 inch speakers.....but why did Orange go with 10 inch in the first place?
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,
Fender elite Start, Gibson SG 61,fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Rocker 30

pedecamp
Orange Hero

Post by pedecamp » Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:05 pm

Ronnie Robinson wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:35 pm
Not getting much love for the R32 !!!

I do wonder why a head version has not been introduced? and wonder if the R32 would sound better with your favourite 12 inch speakers.....but why did Orange go with 10 inch in the first place?
I'm very interested in hearing some feedback from somebody who plugged the R32 into a properly broken in 2x12 Orange cab. This will tell us what we're really working with.
Thunderverb 50