New Guitar vs Bareknuckle Warpig installed in old one

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Sabbatozz

New Guitar vs Bareknuckle Warpig installed in old one

Post by Sabbatozz » Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:19 pm

I have been pleasantly surprised by the sound out of my Crush 20RT. But I want to doom it up a little more.
I presently only own 1 guitar - a BC Rich Ironbird that came equipped with a single humbucker, a volume control knob, and nothing else. No tone knob, no single coil in the neck position.... nothing.

I'm recording some doomy, stoner-metal type stuff and have heard great things about bareknuckle warpig pickups. Alternatively, I saw this Jackson Kelly http://www.samash.com/js32t-kelly-elect ... 32tkelly-p comes stock with ceramic magnet pickups that might also get me the sound I'm looking for, not to mention it's always fun just to get a new guitar.

Finances will only allow me to buy one or the other, so what do you think will get me closest to the sound I'm looking for?

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Re: New Guitar vs Bareknuckle Warpig installed in old one

Post by Boy_Narf » Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:47 pm

I picked up a bareknuckle p90 a few months back, and switched back to my stock pickup immediately. Way to high output for me. Lost all dynamics. If you are just looking for more output, why not get a pedal of some sort? Perhaps whatever fuzz pedal your favorite doom band uses, or even a boost pedal which will help to push the amp further into saturation. I had a Black Arts Pharaoh years ago and it was super versatile and could get extremely saturated if required. Also had a Wampler leviathan which was out of control. Ultimate doom fuzz if you ask me. That pedal sounded massive.

That said a new amp would probably get you the biggest improvement. Check out the CR120 combo, but I would suggest looking into pedals before pickups.

Sabbatozz

Post by Sabbatozz » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:17 am

Thank you for the feedback! It's actually nice to know that I have alternatives to burning myself with a soldering iron.
I checked out some clips of those pedals and they are pretty impressive. Any thoughts on running a Behringer VT999?

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:32 pm

Hey,

No experience with that pedal, but it looks identical to a pedal I've seen before. I think EHX? Anyway, if you are on a budget my friend brought over an Outlaw effects 5 oclock fuzz to jam last week. Wow did it sound massive, especially on bass. Then I look at the price and couldn't believe how affordable it was. Might be worth checking out.

So what exactly are you trying to achieve? I don't really know what "more doom" means. Are you looking for more gain, more output, more bass, more clarity?

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:39 pm

Hey,

No experience with that pedal, but it looks identical to a pedal I've seen before. I think EHX? Anyway, if you are on a budget my friend brought over an Outlaw effects 5 oclock fuzz to jam last week. Wow did it sound massive, especially on bass. Then I look at the price and couldn't believe how affordable it was. Might be worth checking out.

So what exactly are you trying to achieve? I don't really know what "more doom" means. Are you looking for more gain, more output, more bass, more clarity?

Sabbatozz

Post by Sabbatozz » Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:55 am

Boy_Narf wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:39 pm
This:
https://www.amazon.com/Bleed-Me-An-Ocea ... e+an+ocean

yossarian83
Orange Hero

Post by yossarian83 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:53 am

That is a boss metal zone through a bass amp... have at it!

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:43 am

Sounds like a fuzz pedal should get you there. Check out the big muff. Cheap and effective.