Garbage day

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Garbage day

Post by Jondog » Sun May 28, 2017 7:43 pm

Someone was throwing these out so I grabbed them. Everything works, although I haven't tested the Yamaha Equalizer yet, it powers up though. The Line 6 XT Live works has no issues other than a few pots have been broke off at the shaft, but they work and easy to replace. Princeton 65 is a little beat up, but sounds just fine, and pretty good too! My first Fender amp was a Princeton stereo chorus so this amp brings back some memories. Maybe I can polish it up and give it to a kid who needs an amp or something. The Dunlop High Gain Volume pedal has nothing wrong at all, works as it should, not even a scratchy pot.

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Re: Garbage day

Post by Les Paul Lover » Sun May 28, 2017 9:01 pm

Good score!!!

Amazing what people throw away.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Mon May 29, 2017 3:35 am

Cool , looks like a Princeton from the 90s (?).....nice little amps them.
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,
Fender elite Start, Gibson SG 61,fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Rocker 30

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Mon May 29, 2017 12:18 pm

Good score!

I have several things that people threw out - my former bass player used to ride a garbage truck in affluent Wellesley MA and pulled some cool stuff out of the trash. He got a Silvertone Twin Twelve amp head out that I sold on ebay for $220 even though we couldn't get it working! Also pulled an 80's Telecaster neck out of the trash that is now on this Strat body:

Then I got a small Fender Sidekick amp on trash day that is in use in my artroom...

liaztraht
Tiny Terror

Post by liaztraht » Mon May 29, 2017 6:06 pm

Some people have all the luck! Round here people just try and sell things for way more than they are worth.
My cat loves the Orange tone!

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Mon May 29, 2017 7:09 pm

liaztraht wrote:
Mon May 29, 2017 6:06 pm
Some people have all the luck! Round here people just try and sell things for way more than they are worth.
I've find that to be more and more the case lately. I'd rather buy new at the prices people want to sell their gear for. Put an offer in and they accuse you of low balling. I usually won't pay more than 70% +/- a few dollars of the new price for a used item. Thats my go to value as I find most retailers sell used gear around that price.

liaztraht
Tiny Terror

Post by liaztraht » Mon May 29, 2017 7:26 pm

Jondog wrote:
Mon May 29, 2017 7:09 pm
liaztraht wrote:
Mon May 29, 2017 6:06 pm
I've find that to be more and more the case lately. I'd rather buy new at the prices people want to sell their gear for. Put an offer in and they accuse you of low balling. I usually won't pay more than 70% +/- a few dollars of the new price for a used item. Thats my go to value as I find most retailers sell used gear around that price.
I've seen things like "TKO drum kit with ziljan symbols great condition. 500 obo missing bottom hoops and minor scratches" beat near to death, or recently
"High end custom squire strat professional guitar $600 great deal" where all they did was change the pick guard on an affinity strat.

Couple months ago I saw a drum set I sold up on Craig's list. Price I sold it for was 600 with some lower end cymbals (price of the shells new) and only one minor ding from gigging, they guy I sold it to managed to completely destroy it and still sold it for a grand.yet the stands were duct taped together and half the cymbals and hardware weren't included.

As much as I dislike it, I do all my used gear shopping through guitar center now. They at least have fair prices, and trade ins aren't horrible. Better than private sales where I tried pricing fairly and got low balled constantly or told I was ripping people off while selling at or just under actual value.
My cat loves the Orange tone!

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Mon May 29, 2017 10:33 pm

Dunno, I usually get great deals via eBay and gumtree, though I'm a bit of a Hunter. Quite happy to bide my time until a great deal comes along.

Have down lot of great deals selling (usually the stuff I hunted on eBay / gumtree), simply but listing it high (still reasonable) and be willing to post. For a lot of gear people haven't got access to it because they live in the back end of nowhere and have no way to try something unless they buy it..... and since there's scarce supply for them, they're willing to buy at the higher end of the reasonable price range. :mrgreen: here I come.....

However, I never got lucky with trash..... may be one day!!!!
Ant

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Mystic38
Orange Expert

Post by Mystic38 » Mon May 29, 2017 11:18 pm

ha..

i used to live in Wellesley, and folk would camp out at the garbage dump (sorry, "recycle station") and i wondered why,
until i saw the amount of quality stuff that folk left there.... just amazing
bclaire wrote:
Mon May 29, 2017 12:18 pm
Good score!

I have several things that people threw out - my former bass player used to ride a garbage truck in affluent Wellesley MA and pulled some cool stuff out of the trash. He got a Silvertone Twin Twelve amp head out that I sold on ebay for $220 even though we couldn't get it working! Also pulled an 80's Telecaster neck out of the trash that is now on this Strat body:

Then I got a small Fender Sidekick amp on trash day that is in use in my artroom...
-Ian-

Orange Rocker 30c, PPC212 & PPC112, Fender DRRI, Marshall 2266
2012 Gibson LP Standard, 2001 Gibson LP DC Standard
2009 Fender Am. Standard Strat, 1999 Fender Am. Hardtail Strat
2014 G&L Fallout

***insert great photos of gear here***

megalithic
Orange Hero

Post by megalithic » Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:57 am

Jondog wrote:
Sun May 28, 2017 7:43 pm
Someone was throwing these out so I grabbed them. Everything works, although I haven't tested the Yamaha Equalizer yet, it powers up though. The Line 6 XT Live works has no issues other than a few pots have been broke off at the shaft, but they work and easy to replace. Princeton 65 is a little beat up, but sounds just fine, and pretty good too! My first Fender amp was a Princeton stereo chorus so this amp brings back some memories. Maybe I can polish it up and give it to a kid who needs an amp or something. The Dunlop High Gain Volume pedal has nothing wrong at all, works as it should, not even a scratchy pot.
That looks like pretty decent equipment, and which could be sold. Probably her ex-boyfriend's gear.

ironlung40
Orange Master

Post by ironlung40 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:08 pm

!!!???
I have seen several posts in forums of people finding music gear in dumpsters, etc.

I severely don't understand this at all.

Exactly, how did you come upon these being thrown away? Where they in a dumpster that you check weekly or where they next to a trash can on the street?

I live in a rural neighborhood so I guess the likelihood of me finding trash treasure is understandably low.
Sincerely,
Ironlung40
OR120 Pix/text
Tiny Terror HW
Rocker 30 combo
Rockververb 100 MKII
Thunderverb 200
Gibson SG 61 RI

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:46 pm

People pile their trash at the curb every garbage day. I've put out couches, tables, bikes, toys etc... If someone has a use for it, they're welcome to it. Pretty common in my neighborhood. I'm not a dumpster diver. :lol:

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:45 pm

The thing is some people have no idea the stuff they have might have any value, or can't be bothered because they, I assume, have no need for that cash.

What saddens me greatly is...... how many vintage gear has simply been trashed away, with people not realising what they had on their hands????

I'm pretty sure a good number of OR120, old Marshall or fenders must have been simply trashed. Music aficionados aren't always there to rescue them. :(
Ant

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:51 am

My former bass player found a vintage Fender Super Reverb in the dumpster behind his store... retubed and it was fine!