"SeTTiNgS"

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Lyric
Tiny Terror

"SeTTiNgS"

Post by Lyric » Thu May 18, 2017 1:38 am

So question about Orange amp settings preferred. First of all I'm new to Orange and a new Orange. I currently own the CR120H and match Crush Pro cabinet. But,,, what I'm asking for applies to any Orange whether it be Solid State or Tube. So if you own an Crush Pro, Rockerverb, OR, TH, Dark Terror or whatever please provide your opinion. And this is solely based on your opinion and you know what they say about opinions right? Yep, we all have them lol.

Anyways here we are,,,

1) Channel Volume vs Master Volume - Do you prefer to keep your Master Volume high and your Channel Volume low? Or do you prefer to keep your Channel Volume high and your Master Volume low?

I've been running my Master at 12 o'clock and my Volume Channel's low at 1. Would it be better to set the Channel Volume at 12 o'clock and the Master Volume at 1?

2) What do you keep your eq's at? Clean and Dirty Channels both.

Look forward to answers and more. C'mon guys :)
17' Taylor 814CE
10' Manuel Rodriguez Cocobolo
14' Fender Limited Edition LoneStar Strat
16' Fender Classic Player 60's Jazzmaster
15' Fender Classic Player Jaguar
17' Reverend Double Agent 20th Anniversary
04' Ibanez SA220

Orange CR120H/Crush Pro 4x12

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Re: "SeTTiNgS"

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Thu May 18, 2017 4:58 am

I've owned a few orange amps and theres not many Orange amps that have a global master volume and individual channel Volume.....is the cr120 the only one??..... can't think of a valve amp that does, off the top of my head....l'd imagine it's less important to have the master volume up on a solid state amp .

Eq wise I tend to have treble at 3pm, mids at 12 o'clock and bass at 10 o'clock but this would be tweaked depending on the guitar, cab, room your playing in.
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,
Fender elite Start, Gibson SG 61,fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Rocker 30

bfitz
Orange Expert

Post by bfitz » Thu May 18, 2017 8:06 am

I use a tele or a strat

I run my Tiny Terror into a COB 212 with the volume at 1-2 o'clock and the gain at around 12 o'clock for clean-ish sounds

then have 2 SHO clones one at 2/3's the way up (2 o'clock i guess) and one dimed for crunch and lead respecively

I have the tone typically at about 1 o'clock for the tele and at around 11 o'clock for the strat but this setting changes a fair bit

Orange AD30
Groove Tubes Soul-O 75
Orange PPC 212 OB
Boss Nextone 40
Fender CIJ Pink Paisley Tele
Fender Classic Player Strat 50s
Yamaha SA1200s
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG Jnr

Lyric
Tiny Terror

Post by Lyric » Thu May 18, 2017 9:37 am

Ronnie Robinson wrote:
Thu May 18, 2017 4:58 am
I've owned a few orange amps and theres not many Orange amps that have a global master volume and individual channel Volume.....is the cr120 the only one??..... can't think of a valve amp that does, off the top of my head....l'd imagine it's less important to have the master volume up on a solid state amp .

Eq wise I tend to have treble at 3pm, mids at 12 o'clock and bass at 10 o'clock but this would be tweaked depending on the guitar, cab, room your playing in.
The CH120 has a Master Volume in the Master section. The Dirty Channel has a Volume and Gain. The Clean Channel has a Volume. So both Clean and Dirty Channels have a Volume and they both share a Master Volume.

I've typically been cranking the Master Volume to about 12 o'clock and leaving the Clean and Dirty Channel volumes at 1. Not sure if I should be using this the other way around with the Clean and Dirty Channels at 12 o'clock and the Master Volume at 1.

This does give the overal feeling of a tube amp in a slight way. I'm not saying it is in anyway but does sort of achieve it a bit. A strange and not very common thing with solid state amps is being able to roll the Volume back on the guitar which cleans the sound up a bit, which is a very tube like behavior.
17' Taylor 814CE
10' Manuel Rodriguez Cocobolo
14' Fender Limited Edition LoneStar Strat
16' Fender Classic Player 60's Jazzmaster
15' Fender Classic Player Jaguar
17' Reverend Double Agent 20th Anniversary
04' Ibanez SA220

Orange CR120H/Crush Pro 4x12

OrangeBoy
Tiny Terror

Post by OrangeBoy » Sat May 20, 2017 1:02 am

I have a CR60 and generally set the channel controls to the sound I want by adjusting gain, EQ and volume then adjust the master volume to the desired level. After that, if necessary, I tweak the channel volumes as required to adjust sound and balance further between the clean and dirty channels. For home use this usually results with clean volume channel at 5-7 and dirty channel highly dependent on what gain I'm after. The master volume usually ends up at 3 to 4 (sometimes higher depending on time of day).

One thing I like about the Pro Crush series is the master volume doesn't affect the tone or gain of the individual channels. The individual channel volumes do, much like single channel tubes amps. The master volume is great for low volumes and has zero affect on the overall tone or sound, it purely controls volume only.

In summary: my general philosophy is to get the desired sound and balance from the channel volumes and control the overall volume with the master.

liaztraht
Tiny Terror

Post by liaztraht » Thu May 25, 2017 7:47 am

I have bass at 3, mids at 8, and treble at 5. Or 8 o'clock, 3 o'clock, noon respectively. I have both channel volumes maxed, so my clean is crunchy, gain a hair above 7 or 2 o'clock, and master at 3.5 or 10:30 for band things.

I then slam the front end with a Boss SD-1. This is running through a Bugera vintage style 2x12 cab with V30 knock-offs. Sometimes I drop the channel volume to half so I can run my noise gate in the loop without overloading it.

And I play it in a loud metal band.

Also my amp is the CR120h.
My cat loves the Orange tone!

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Thu May 25, 2017 9:06 am

Great point from OrangeBoy. This is one of the big advantages of solid state amps. Good ones can sound much better than valve ones at lower volumes, exactly because the output stages (within their power limits) don't change the sound. Good ones can be optimised to sound good from low volumes on up, valve amps almost always sound best when the power stage is working reasonably hard.

For this reason I prefer using higher MV settings (if available) with valve amps, and keep the channel gain as low as possible. I love overdrive sounds but a lot of the very best rock guitar sounds use a lot less gain than you might think. Keeping the gain settings lower often helps you really cut through.

Remember too that the settings which sound best to you when playing alone may not be the best ones to cut through in a band mix. Generally you'll need to lower the bass and focus more on the mids than you might think to really do that.

With good EQ there are also usually various different ways to get similar tonalities. For example if you want more treble don't just automatically raise the treble control. Try lowering the bass a bit, and adjust the volume / gain (/mids) a bit and see what happens. These controls can be very interactive in ways you might not expect so trust your ears when setting up sounds, not what your eyes tell you when you look at the EQ controls. :D

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

lunchbox
Orange Hero

Post by lunchbox » Sun May 28, 2017 2:49 am

I play hard rock/stoner rock though a CR120H and marching CRPRO412 with a stock SG Standard.

I keep the gain channel volume at full, and the MV at 2-2.5, depending on the room. EQ settings are:
Treble: 2:00
Mids: 2:00
Bass: full up

Since i'm so used to single channel amps I never use the clean channel. I just adjust the volume on my guitar to suit.

Pedals:
Boss TU3 tuner
Dunlop Crybaby Wah (with the boost)
Xotic EP boost

Sounds killer.