Spl Reducer, attenuator

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

kars0747
Tiny Terror

Spl Reducer, attenuator

Post by kars0747 » Sat May 13, 2017 2:08 pm

Anyone here use this attenuator. Any good for a 50 watt amp u just need to lower a little bit? What happens to speaker break up when u attenuate?
Les Paul, Orange AD50 CS, ppc 212 ob with 3ow green back heritage (g12h 30) and a greenback (g12m), Boss tuner, Cry Baby, Electro Harmonix Electric Mistress, T-Rex replica and the orange sustain pedal

fiveightandten
Orange Master

Re: Spl Reducer, attenuator

Post by fiveightandten » Sat May 13, 2017 7:16 pm

I haven't used one in the flesh, but it's said to be one of the best sounding resistive attenuators out there. There's nothing special about it, as I've seen pictures of the inside and it looks like every other resistive attenuator out there (a few resistors and some wire). But it really does sound pretty good from the clips I've heard of it.

There's a little bit of top end loss from what I can hear on comparisons. But that's typical of resistive attenuators. Speaker breakup will be reduced, or could potentially be eliminated depending on how much you attenuate.

The drawback of these type of attenuators is that you don't have infinitely variable control over the volume. But your amp has a master volume, so it's less of an issue. It appears to be a good product, and I've never read a bad thing about it. I was very close to picking one of these up, but I got a Fryette Power Station instead. The PS is much more expensive, but the SPL reducer is a lot pricier here in the states, so the difference wasn't as pronounced (I found the Power Station used, so it made sense).

-Nick
'71 GRO100 || '96 OR-80 || AD30 || '64 AC-50 || AC-30TBX || Hiwatt DR504 || HI-TONE HT30
LP Standard || LP Studio || LP Custom Lite || Ric 620 || Ric 360 || MIA Tele || SG 61 RI

kars0747
Tiny Terror

Post by kars0747 » Sat May 13, 2017 8:42 pm

Thanks Nick. And my question about speaker breakup is kind of stupid. I will play as loud as I can with the band as allways, with or with out an attenuator, and the speaker don´t care about the attenuator I guess, it just responds to how much sound I put through it. But really look forward to cranking the power amp section wide open. I think I´m going for it even thought it is a bit pricey
Karsten
Les Paul, Orange AD50 CS, ppc 212 ob with 3ow green back heritage (g12h 30) and a greenback (g12m), Boss tuner, Cry Baby, Electro Harmonix Electric Mistress, T-Rex replica and the orange sustain pedal

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Sat May 13, 2017 9:07 pm

I have something very similar and really like it.

I use the jet city jettuanator. Really great piece of kit. Does a great job of taming my RV50 and R30 to house friendly volume, and the tone is really good.

Like the spl reducer, you can select the output (different inputs for 4, 8 and 16 ohms rather than a switch though), however, the attenuation level is selected via a potentiometer, an so I fully variable from -3db (minimum attenuation level when it's connected between the amp and cab).

It's a bit cheaper than the spl reducer as it's designed by soldano but sold under the jet city name.

I would heavily recommend it or a similar piece of kit - they really are great to have.

Edit: By the way, the way, the jettanuator has both cab sim and xlr line outs, but I have never tried them so can't comment on the quality of their output. Not sure if these features are of any interest to you.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

kars0747
Tiny Terror

Post by kars0747 » Sun May 14, 2017 10:57 am

How does it work if you only need to drop the volume slightly? Have heard someone complain about the spl reducer that it drops the vol too much if you only need a little drop in volume

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Sun May 14, 2017 1:19 pm

Once in between the amp and the cab, it shaves 3db minimum. Beyond that, it's a classic potentiometer, so you decide where you want it with you ears - it's very flexible.

I've been singing its praises ever since I got it.
I got it in a trade, and thought I'd sell it on.... until I realised how great it was.

One of it a other great point, is that you can use as a master volume. Set your balance right between dirty and clean (for my dual channel amps anyway!!!) And then you don't have to worry - just turn the jettanuator up or down as needed.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

kars0747
Tiny Terror

Post by kars0747 » Sun May 14, 2017 3:42 pm

Great thanks. I Will go for that One and wait a month till it is back in stock