Rocker 30C Replacement Speaker

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Gordy G
Tiny Terror

Rocker 30C Replacement Speaker

Post by Gordy G » Wed May 10, 2017 1:20 pm

I'm reasonably sure the speaker in my R30C needs replacing,i've come to this unscientific conclusion because the Amp sounds rubbish with the stock speaker,but with a cheap speaker cab(8ohm) i have(the remnants of a Cube 60 Amp)it sounds ok to good.
My inclination is to put the Driver from the Cab into the Rocker(because it's the cheap option) & see how it sounds,but it is 8ohm,so not sure.
But,during my search for 16ohm speakers i've come across a speaker called an Eminence Reignmaker FDM(16 ohm),which has a big knob/wheel on the back which can attenuate the output between 91 & 100db,this seems like it may be a nice addition for the Rocker
it would enable me to wind it up to get to the drive level that i'm after,at a more useable volume,the down side is it's expensive :( .
Any one have any advice or experience with this speaker.

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Re: Rocker 30C Replacement Speaker

Post by Les Paul Lover » Wed May 10, 2017 9:20 pm

I know some users have had this speaker on the forum, but no idea how it will work for the amp.

Are you sure your speaker is the culprit?

Do you have a multimeter? You could test its resistance with it?
If you Google it, you can also test speakers with a 9v battery - can't remember the specific if the test, but you essentially connect the battery to the +/- and should see the speaker move.

You could try to visually inspect the cone too and see if it's damaged.

I'm not sure what else you could check.

Obviously, a good option would be to put a known working speaker in it, and fit the possibly damaged speaker with another amp that is known to be working and see how both go.

If you can't do that, it might still be worthwhile just buying a 2nd hand V30 and fitting it in. If the sound is the same, you can resell the speaker knowing that either the speaker isn't the issue, or that you hate V30........
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Thu May 11, 2017 4:04 am

Buy a 2nd hand V30S or other celestion speaker then you can resell it if you don't need it and loose nothing.
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,
Fender elite Start, Gibson SG 61,fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Rocker 30

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Thu May 11, 2017 6:34 am

Hopefully there is nothing wrong with the amp. TBH V.30s don't work at their best alone, they are (IMO anyway) much better in 2 or 4x12 cabs.
Also they sound very different (again IMO much better, smoother, more bass, less tight) when well broken in, but they take notoriously long to break in compared to most other drivers. IME they also need to be pushed fairly hard to ever get there, and I'm really not sure that a single one will ever properly be broken in by a 30W amp like the R.30C (Let alone two of them in an AD30C.)

Having said that I've still never got around to replacing the one in my R.30C. If ever gigging it I certainly would, but being a bass player I've never really needed to bother. It mic's up for recording fine, and anyway when recording I usually DI via a H&K Red Box speaker sim. (Have been using the amp a lot lately that way - great results.)

One day though I'll probably still bung a Mesa Celestion MC90 in there just to make it the loudest R.30C in town and surprise a few friends by playing it out.

I'd have put in a G12H-30 long ago but suspect it is just a little too much amp for my favourite driver. My own suggestion would be for something with that sort of sonic signature though, so the MC90, a CL80, or maybe a Century Vintage or H-75 Creamback, or perhaps one of the higher rated 'H' type Scumbacks would fit the bill.

All assuming the amp really is healthy of course... :wink:

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!