NAD by proxy * 2 & NGD by proxy

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

NAD by proxy * 2 & NGD by proxy

Post by Les Paul Lover » Tue May 09, 2017 8:47 pm

So.......

I thought I'd encourage my son to play guitar. He's only 4 & 1/2, and my only aim was to get him something that he can get his hands on when he wants, plug in and make some noise.

A few month back, I saw a 3/4 size guitar, pretty much mint, for £10.50 (no idea why the 50 pence???) and bought it without haggling. It was handed over to me by a very shy spotty teenager, who did a good job of trying to cross sell his college books despite me being 40..... bless!!!

Now my son needed an amp..... and I didn't want to get him a small SS piece of crap. I did have a newer Marshall 15w practice amp in trade a while back, but not worth keeping, sold it quickly.

The next best 5w amp I tried after my AD5 was an epi valve junior.
Found a V3 model, where they sorted the buzz out, and the speaker is decent too ( eminence lady luck), and won that auction. Really nice amp, but a bit loud I must say..... (I should have known!!!!)

So I set about finding a blackstar HT1R. 1w, has EQ (or the ISF, essentially the same thing as the Thunderverb, TH or darl terror shape knob, but in reverse) and (underwhelming) reverb. Still very loud at 1w when maxed out!!!

In a straight tone fight, the epi is the much better amp..... but the blackstar can't go as loud and that's the one I keep for my son with the health of his ears in mind.

He was so happy anyway!
Here's the little rocker:

I'll be selling the epi valve junior though, as even if better, it won't be practical for him. I have no real need for it, so no point in keeping it.

By the way, both the blackstar and the epi take a new life through a PPC212!!!
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Re: NAD by proxy * 2 & NGD by proxy

Post by Jondog » Tue May 09, 2017 9:14 pm

Cool. I bought my daughter a mini Squier and Orange Micro Crush. The Micro Crush is a great little amp for a young kid. Very easy to move around for them, battery powered if need be, on board tuner. She really doesn't care about how it sounds, only that it makes sound! I enjoy the little thing too!

thejay
Orange Expert

Post by thejay » Wed May 10, 2017 12:08 am

Awesome!
Oranges - R32, OR50, R30, RVMKIII, OR100, AD30, OB212, CB212 (2x)
Non Orange - Mesa, Friedman, Vox & Marshall
Former Oranges - TT, JRT, OR15, RVMKII
YouTube https://bit.ly/2pSp3sk
http://bigbattlebear.bandcamp.com

Bensnake
Orange Master

Post by Bensnake » Wed May 10, 2017 12:00 pm

My two daughters never shared my passion for guitar gear. It's a shame though it has saved me some money... Congrats on your son's new mini amp! I'm sure he'll grow up as a shredder (like all kids do nowadays...).
RV100 MKIII | '75 OR120 | OR100 | OR50 | CS50 | R30H | TT
2 x PPC412
Bax B. | Amp D.

Marshall 1959 HW + 1936V
Fender '65 Super Reverb Reissue
Vox AC30C2X + V212C

Playing Les Pauls and Teles...

johnnyblues
Rocker

Post by johnnyblues » Wed May 10, 2017 4:17 pm

Congrats on the new gear for the little one. It won't be long till he'll have his eyes on his pops' gear. :mrgreen:

God made man... everything else is made in China!

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Wed May 10, 2017 8:59 pm

Thanks guys!!!

It's been fun to see him try and make some noise..... I'll spare you the videos!

It's a shame Orange haven't got a really low wattage amp, I'd have been interested in it. I've regretted selling my AD5, though probably a little too loud for him.
Jondog wrote:
Tue May 09, 2017 9:14 pm
Cool. I bought my daughter a mini Squier and Orange Micro Crush. The Micro Crush is a great little amp for a young kid. Very easy to move around for them, battery powered if need be, on board tuner. She really doesn't care about how it sounds, only that it makes sound! I enjoy the little thing too!

How old is your daughter? I'm wondering when I can try to start giving some basic lessons to my son.

How do you tune the mini squier? That 3/4 scale length is very difficult to tune properly I find.
Bensnake wrote:
Wed May 10, 2017 12:00 pm
My two daughters never shared my passion for guitar gear. It's a shame though it has saved me some money... Congrats on your son's new mini amp! I'm sure he'll grow up as a shredder (like all kids do nowadays...).
You know..... when I started, I wanted to shred. Then I discovered jazz..... and came back to rock. So long as he plays (any instrument) I'd be happy.
johnnyblues wrote:
Wed May 10, 2017 4:17 pm
Congrats on the new gear for the little one. It won't be long till he'll have his eyes on his pops' gear. :mrgreen:
Yeah, he already has his eyes on my blue Aria Pro II and my SG......
Ant

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Hubaxe
Orange Expert

Post by Hubaxe » Thu May 11, 2017 9:33 am

My daughter did not ask anything, and started to borrow guitars from the guitar room.. Even if now she owns 2 telecaster, the acoustic she took over the channel was supposed to be mine..
Hopefully my son play drums, I don't need to count guitars every week :mrgreen:

caldurham
Rocker

Post by caldurham » Sat May 13, 2017 12:49 pm

Les Paul Lover wrote:
Wed May 10, 2017 8:59 pm
It's a shame Orange haven't got a really low wattage amp, I'd have been interested in it. I've regretted selling my AD5, though probably a little too loud for him.
rocker 15?

and btw congrats for the little one!

i have a valve jr myself, it's the head version with the 1x12. they are loud! mine is modded with bitmo mods so it's an earkiller. and the 1x12 comes with that same lady luck speaker. i stripped the tolex off the head and the cab and refinished them. sucks you can't keep it.

been looking at the blackstar myself. i have started a small collection of low watt amps.

so far my favorite is my randall diavlo rd1. 1 watt and cranked all the way up you can have a conversation over it. though you might have to raise your voice a little!

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Sat May 13, 2017 1:08 pm

caldurham wrote:
Sat May 13, 2017 12:49 pm
Les Paul Lover wrote:
Wed May 10, 2017 8:59 pm
rocker 15?

and btw congrats for the little one!

i have a valve jr myself, it's the head version with the 1x12. they are loud! mine is modded with bitmo mods so it's an earkiller. and the 1x12 comes with that same lady luck speaker. i stripped the tolex off the head and the cab and refinished them. sucks you can't keep it.

been looking at the blackstar myself. i have started a small collection of low watt amps.

so far my favorite is my randall diavlo rd1. 1 watt and cranked all the way up you can have a conversation over it. though you might have to raise your voice a little!
I meant something in really low wattage. Orange haven't had a single 12ax7 and single el84 amp since they stopped the AD5. Great shame.
Ant

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Sat May 13, 2017 1:10 pm

Hubaxe wrote:
Thu May 11, 2017 9:33 am
My daughter did not ask anything, and started to borrow guitars from the guitar room.. Even if now she owns 2 telecaster, the acoustic she took over the channel was supposed to be mine..
Hopefully my son play drums, I don't need to count guitars every week :mrgreen:

Yeah..... may be I'll encourage my son to play something else...... though it's a nice thought to think they could enjoy my gear in years to come.
Ant