The magic spot on volume knob

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

kars0747
Tiny Terror

The magic spot on volume knob

Post by kars0747 » Mon May 01, 2017 12:50 pm

Read somewhere that the magic spot on my ad50´s volume know was around 2 O´clock. And I have found this to be very true. The amp wakes up considerably around this point. It opens in every way. I have found the amp and with ppc212 ob g12h to be too bass focused, so I keep it around 9 o´clock and the treble at noon and presence at 10 o´clock. Unfortunately it is a bit too loud for playing with the band. It´s like standing outside the gates of heaven and not being allowed to enter. As I see it I have the following options: Get an attenuator or buy ineffective speakers such as 25 watt chineese greenbacks (97db)
Les Paul, Orange AD50 CS, ppc 212 ob with 3ow green back heritage (g12h 30) and a greenback (g12m), Boss tuner, Cry Baby, Electro Harmonix Electric Mistress, T-Rex replica and the orange sustain pedal

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Re: The magic spot on volume knob

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Mon May 01, 2017 1:36 pm

The inefficient greenbacks do make a difference in volumeand sound good with the ad30 ...so you would think sound good with the ad50....? Whether that will be enough for you I can't say.

Maybe you could do with a lower wattage amp?
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,
Fender elite Start, Gibson SG 61,fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Rocker 30

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Mon May 01, 2017 1:41 pm

That is quite a catch 22.

The 1st question I would ask is are you happy with how your speakers sound?

Whilst the greenbacks or other lower sensitivity speakers will tame your amp permanently to a certain level, it will change your tone too.

I have a jet city jettuanator that works wonder as a variable attenuator. Contrary to most attenuator on the market, the attenuation isn't set to say -4, -8 or -16db, but a s a variable knob you can turn to get the required level of attenuation.

It's also compatible with 4, 8 and 16 ohms, and once between the amp and cab, it shaves 3db minimum, even when wide open.

I really like it with both my RV50 and R30, it's very useful, and sounds really good until you turn it down to below TV volume.

IMO, such an attenuator would be more useful than a speaker swap, and a lot more flexible in use.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Mystic38
Orange Expert

Post by Mystic38 » Mon May 01, 2017 2:15 pm

will second the "if you like your tone then get an attenuator" ^^

Now pretty much all attenuators affect the tone in some small or major way, but in most cases this is only when you are looking at high levels of attenuation, ie bedroom levels, so if you are thinking 6-12dB to balance volume levels then probably any of them hotplate etc are likely to be pretty transparent tonally
-Ian-

Orange Rocker 30c, PPC212 & PPC112, Fender DRRI, Marshall 2266
2012 Gibson LP Standard, 2001 Gibson LP DC Standard
2009 Fender Am. Standard Strat, 1999 Fender Am. Hardtail Strat
2014 G&L Fallout

***insert great photos of gear here***

Dark Helmet
Orange Master

Post by Dark Helmet » Mon May 01, 2017 3:54 pm

kars0747 wrote:Read somewhere that the magic spot on my ad50´s volume know was around 2 O´clock. And I have found this to be very true. The amp wakes up considerably around this point. It opens in every way. I have found the amp and with ppc212 ob g12h to be too bass focused, so I keep it around 9 o´clock and the treble at noon and presence at 10 o´clock. Unfortunately it is a bit too loud for playing with the band. It´s like standing outside the gates of heaven and not being allowed to enter. As I see it I have the following options: Get an attenuator or buy ineffective speakers such as 25 watt chineese greenbacks (97db)

honestly... if you think it's too bassy... try affixing a panel to close the back of the cab and see if it focuses a bit better in the mids.

otherwise, I'd look for a good attenuator before screwing with speakers. speakers will be a small difference, the attenuator can whack off a LOT of volume reliably and without having the impact to tone.
Dark Lord of the Schwartz
AD15/12
AD30TC
AD50
AD140
Thunderverb50

2016 Gibson LP Standard
2012 Gibson LP Classic Custom
2017 Gibson Firebird Studio T
Epi Les Paul (used to be) Standard
2018 Taylor 616CE

OU818
Orange Master

Post by OU818 » Mon May 01, 2017 9:57 pm

Mystic38 wrote:will second the "if you like your tone then get an attenuator" ^^

Now pretty much all attenuators affect the tone in some small or major way, but in most cases this is only when you are looking at high levels of attenuation, ie bedroom levels, so if you are thinking 6-12dB to balance volume levels then probably any of them hotplate etc are likely to be pretty transparent tonally
Best attenuator I have ever used was the Fryette Powerstation. I could crank a 100 watt Marshall then bring it down to house friendly volumes and it would still sound great.
Orange Gear:
AD200B MkIII
OBC810

Non-Orange:
Bergantino NXT212
Bergantino Forte D
Woogie Lessie
Laney DBV-410

Basses:
Ernie Ball Stingray 4H
Rickenbacker 4003
Gibson Midtown Signature
Gibson Thunderbird
Gibson Nikki Sixx Thunderbird
Gibson Les Paul Bass

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Mon May 01, 2017 11:25 pm

Reading "Magic spot" and "knob" in one sentence made me realize Randy Bass hasn't been around in a while. Seems like his kind of topic. :lol:

Dark Helmet
Orange Master

Post by Dark Helmet » Mon May 01, 2017 11:53 pm

Jondog wrote:Reading "Magic spot" and "knob" in one sentence made me realize Randy Bass hasn't been around in a while. Seems like his kind of topic. :lol:
:lol:

Yes... i miss that guy
Dark Lord of the Schwartz
AD15/12
AD30TC
AD50
AD140
Thunderverb50

2016 Gibson LP Standard
2012 Gibson LP Classic Custom
2017 Gibson Firebird Studio T
Epi Les Paul (used to be) Standard
2018 Taylor 616CE

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Tue May 02, 2017 12:16 am

Jondog wrote:Reading "Magic spot" and "knob" in one sentence made me realize Randy Bass hasn't been around in a while. Seems like his kind of topic. :lol:

Huh... yeah. Where did he go?

OU818
Orange Master

Post by OU818 » Tue May 02, 2017 12:24 am

bclaire wrote:

Huh... yeah. Where did he go?
Maybe he is still recovering from his birth watching expedition to Cancun during Spring Break.
Orange Gear:
AD200B MkIII
OBC810

Non-Orange:
Bergantino NXT212
Bergantino Forte D
Woogie Lessie
Laney DBV-410

Basses:
Ernie Ball Stingray 4H
Rickenbacker 4003
Gibson Midtown Signature
Gibson Thunderbird
Gibson Nikki Sixx Thunderbird
Gibson Les Paul Bass

JMac

Post by JMac » Tue May 02, 2017 1:39 am

I propose a third option: tell the other guys to get louder! :P

kars0747
Tiny Terror

Post by kars0747 » Tue May 02, 2017 12:40 pm

The third option got rejected. Just ordered two 1994 g12m greenbacks. Look forward to hearing them. Never been too fond of any of my 30 w speakers from vintage 30 to g12h 30 heritage greenback. If that still doesn´t do the trick. It´s time to try an attenuator
Les Paul, Orange AD50 CS, ppc 212 ob with 3ow green back heritage (g12h 30) and a greenback (g12m), Boss tuner, Cry Baby, Electro Harmonix Electric Mistress, T-Rex replica and the orange sustain pedal

fiveightandten
Orange Master

Post by fiveightandten » Wed May 03, 2017 12:09 am

Greenbacks are a good choice for something that has a lot sensitivity rating. They do have less low end than something with a heavy magnet though, and they aren't the clearest thing out there. But it's a nice sounding speaker, if not for everyone.

If that doesn't do the trick, I would go back to the speakers you like, and try and attenuator.

The SPL Reducer is one of the better sounding units out there currently. It's reasonably priced and works well. There is bit of top end loss with it, but that's just the case with resistive attenuators. As mentioned above, the Fryette Power station is also a good one. It's quite expensive, as it's not an attenuator...it's a re-amper with a ton of features, and you pay for all the features (not just the ability to attenuate). The Power Station has a 50W 2x6L6 power amp in it, and as such, it's designed to take the output of whatever you throw at it, and make it anywhere from 0W to 50W. It sounds very very good, but nothing sounds like the amp just cranked up straight into the cab.

Something else I've had good luck with is using an attenuator as a load box and running it in parallel with the cab. This way the attenuator is sucking up power, but it's out of the signal path. You have less control over the volume this way, but it sounds better in the volume range it allows, IMO.

Good luck and let us know how the Greenbacks work out.

-Nick
'71 GRO100 || '96 OR-80 || AD30 || '64 AC-50 || AC-30TBX || Hiwatt DR504 || HI-TONE HT30
LP Standard || LP Studio || LP Custom Lite || Ric 620 || Ric 360 || MIA Tele || SG 61 RI

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Wed May 03, 2017 7:26 am

My solution to 'too bassy' is to either lift the cab or move it away from walls... ;)

Talking about magic knob spots (settings) though, I'm a believer. IME there are almost always such positions with most controls, though you might find the exact spot varies a bit depending on the other control settings. GREAT tip I once read (especially for getting the best out of an unknown amp quickly) is to go through all the main controls one at a time (volume, gain, EQ knobs), and listen carefully for where each suddenly starts to have the most effect. Set them all to these positions and go for it! This works surprisingly well surprisingly often... 8)

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

Ade
Orange Hero

Post by Ade » Wed May 03, 2017 9:45 am

I have an AD50 and can vouch for it really coming alive around 2 o'clock. In fact it was such a revelation to me at a gig the first time that I posted about it a couple of years ago. At that volume it really shines.

As to speakers, I've been where your going. I first used my AD50 with a Hiwatt 2x12 with Greenbacks. Absolutely loved it. Always used it on its side for better dispersal. But then I had an opportunity to get my current '75 Orange quad with 30w what I assume are Greenbacks (the magnet covers were long gone, but with the code 1217 = 75Hz G12H30). It took a while to get used to the slight difference in voicing but now I'm sold. In fact at the volume we're talking I prefer the quad. Anyway, I've been fortunate to be able to play most gigs at this sort of stage volume. Oh and yes, as suggested I'll often pop the quad on a road case to get it off the ground and reduce a little of the low end.

Ade
Orange AD15/12 - Orange AD50 - 1975 PPC412