The magic spot on volume knob

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

kars0747
Tiny Terror

Re: The magic spot on volume knob

Post by kars0747 » Wed May 03, 2017 10:07 am

Thanks for all the input. I am learning so much which I didn´t know but maybe had a vague intuition about in the past. It seems to me that the AD50 at 2 O´clock kind of takes over the other control settings, as if everything is more than enough at this point and I need to cut sounds. The presence I have around 8.30 which is allmost all the way to the left. The treble around 11 O´clock and the bass around 10 O´clock. So all the tone shaping controls I have felt the need to turn down below the 12 O´clock position as I turn up the volume to the "magical point". Also read somewhere, probably from one of you guys, that it is more about cutting eq instead of increasing it. Also I have found that I need less gain. Lots of the time I am quite happy with it around 9 O´clock but at 10 O´clock I am able to interact with the speaker and create that wonderfull controlled feedback which I absolutely love to create once in a while.
Les Paul, Orange AD50 CS, ppc 212 ob with 3ow green back heritage (g12h 30) and a greenback (g12m), Boss tuner, Cry Baby, Electro Harmonix Electric Mistress, T-Rex replica and the orange sustain pedal

kars0747
Tiny Terror

Post by kars0747 » Sat May 06, 2017 1:40 pm

Okay. I tried the greenbacks at a gig. I did what you´re not supposed to do. I installed them one hour before an outdoor gig. They made me able to turn up the amp considerably more. However I did need to do quite a bit of tweaking on the knobs. I found I needed more presence now and more bass. The gain knob I had to turn down to a bit more than 8 o´clock because I was left with hardly any head room. this is an issue I will need to adress somehow. All in all they sounded good. But I need to try them at band practise. Out door venues often demand quite a bit of different settings. And the cab is lighter now :D
Les Paul, Orange AD50 CS, ppc 212 ob with 3ow green back heritage (g12h 30) and a greenback (g12m), Boss tuner, Cry Baby, Electro Harmonix Electric Mistress, T-Rex replica and the orange sustain pedal

Ade
Orange Hero

Post by Ade » Sat May 06, 2017 9:15 pm

Good to hear you liked them.

One of the frustrations I find is the difference between rehearsal volume and gigging volume. I think it's pretty normal even without the change of speaker to experience some difference in the way the amp sounds and behaves when you get to really up the volume. Particularly with an amp like the AD50. A degree of tweaking, especially if you use an OD or boost, is only going to be natural. I sometimes use my 2x12 at rehearsal and then the quad to gig, but if I'm not gigging often and I suddenly have to pull the band together for a gig like happened recently, I ideally like to keep it the same.

Forgive me if you mentioned it, but are you running it at 30w or 50w? After much back and forth I prefer the 30w.

Ade
Orange AD15/12 - Orange AD50 - 1975 PPC412

kars0747
Tiny Terror

Post by kars0747 » Sat May 06, 2017 9:29 pm

I got a feeling that I need to experiment with the 50 watt, but as I have changed the output tubes and don´t know how to bias I just stick with the 30 watt setting. Next thing I am going to try is this http://pickroar.com/603/the-greenback-and-h30-myth/ (mixing g12h and g12m)

Ade
Orange Hero

Post by Ade » Sat May 06, 2017 10:24 pm

kars0747 wrote:Next thing I am going to try is this http://pickroar.com/603/the-greenback-and-h30-myth/ (mixing g12h and g12m)
Interesting read. I've on occasion used both my cabs together. They're both 16ohm so I use the 8ohm speaker outs in the AD50. They do sound massive and great together but for reasons I don't fully understand (I'm sure Andy or someone can remind me) it's a bit unbalanced with the 2x12 sounding louder than the quad.

Ade
Orange AD15/12 - Orange AD50 - 1975 PPC412

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Sun May 07, 2017 8:57 am

Ade wrote:
kars0747 wrote:Next thing I am going to try is this http://pickroar.com/603/the-greenback-and-h30-myth/ (mixing g12h and g12m)
Interesting read. I've on occasion used both my cabs together. They're both 16ohm so I use the 8ohm speaker outs in the AD50. They do sound massive and great together but for reasons I don't fully understand (I'm sure Andy or someone can remind me) it's a bit unbalanced with the 2x12 sounding louder than the quad.

Ade
Both cabs share equal power.

So at 30w, your PPC212 sees 15w and each speakers 7.5w, your PPC412 sees 15w, and each speakers 3.75w.

That's why the PPC212 sounds louder.
Is the difference that big in real life?

I never tried something like that myself.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Sun May 07, 2017 9:03 am

Ade wrote:

Ade
Since they are both the same impedance each cab will take 1/2 of the amp's power output. The speakers in the 2x12 will each be getting double the power of those in the 4x12. Given the same type of speakers (with the same efficiency rating) the 4x12 should actually be louder overall. However driving individual speakers harder will also change the tonal balance some so the harder driven speakers may actually sound a little louder. (Especially if they are being pushed hard enough to start to start to distort themselves, because distorted sounds of a given power tend to sound noticeably louder than clean sounds of the same power.)

Probably what is going on...

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

pedecamp
Orange Hero

Post by pedecamp » Tue May 23, 2017 3:12 pm

kars0747 wrote:
Tue May 02, 2017 12:40 pm
The third option got rejected. Just ordered two 1994 g12m greenbacks. Look forward to hearing them. Never been too fond of any of my 30 w speakers from vintage 30 to g12h 30 heritage greenback. If that still doesn´t do the trick. It´s time to try an attenuator
If you end up getting an attenuator see if you can find one that is foot switchable, this comes in handy for lead boosts.
Thunderverb 50

kars0747
Tiny Terror

Post by kars0747 » Tue May 23, 2017 7:40 pm

Ahh. Just ordered one that isn´t. The Palmer 16 ohm.