Anyone Here Using A Strat & Orange Amp?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

adkguy07
Rocker

Post by adkguy07 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:32 am

Just picked up a used Strat in almost perfect shape. I like to know what Orange amp (amp and cab) do you prefer
with your own Stratocaster? That question is also for you Crush series owners.

adkguy07

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Re: Anyone Here Using A Strat & Orange Amp?

Post by a.hun » Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:20 pm

Hi,

Good question. There'll be some of course, but I've been coming here for a while now (...) and I think the real answer is probably 'surprisingly few, considering how popular the Strat is'...

Not sure what it is, but Tele's are MUCH more popular here, or P.90 / humbucker guitars. Don't think that is particularly model specific, probably applies to most Orange users.

Sure you can get some really great sounds with a Strat and most Orange amps, but maybe it is because Orange amps put out really strongly in the low / low mids, and Strats kinda don't... ;)

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

adkguy07
Rocker

Post by adkguy07 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:35 pm

I took delivery of the "new" (to me) Strat about a week ago. I've been getting used to it with a trusty Micro Cube.
I've yet to try it with my Micro Dark/PPC112 setup. That comes this week. I don't like a thin tone when I dial in Strat tones. I find some of the "magic" that happens with with Strats come from the mix of mids with the high frequencies and not so much from turning the amp's bass up too far. I'll post my impressions when I get a fix on just what tones I can get from this particular pairing of amp, cab, and guitar.

adkguy07

secretsoundz

Post by secretsoundz » Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:31 pm

I play a Strat through an OR50. Sounds great!
:mrgreen:

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:41 pm

If you pick up an Xotic EP Booster, you'll get a lot more out of a Strat/Orange combination....

mitchymoo

Post by mitchymoo » Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:55 pm

secretsoundz wrote:I play a Strat through an OR50. Sounds great!
Same here. I find the way I set the amp gives the Strat really nice low mids. It's a cool combination
Orange OR50/OR15/PPC412/PPC112
Marshall TSL60/1936 2x12
Fender Blues Deluxe
Gibson Les Paul Traditional/50s Tribute
Fender Am Std Strat/MIJ Tele
Dipinto Mach IV

https://www.facebook.com/psychicsun

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:23 pm

I play a Vigier Expert (Vigier's version of a Strat) and 8t sounds great through my AD15, R30 or RV50.

The cleans are unreal, and I like the old school dirt tones. But the cleans...... Just amazing!!!
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

OrangeBoy
Tiny Terror

Post by OrangeBoy » Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:00 am

I play Strats more than any other guitar type. I play mine through a CR60, OR15, Micro Terror and Micro dark. I love what Orange does to Strat tones. The low mid thing fattens up things nicely, especially with vintage voiced pups (such as CS '54s, CS'69s, Fat '50s and '57/62s). Yep, It sounds great and IMO Orange and Strats are an awesome combo.

Rozz
Tiny Terror

Post by Rozz » Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:56 am

Strat with a TH30 Combo and also CR120 head + V30 cabs. I get a wide palette of sounds/tones and the cleans on the TH30 are really excellent. I do have a Tele as well, but my Strat is my goto guitar. I used to have a LP Traditional and didn’t like it with the TH30c (too thick sounding for me) and got rid of it so never tried the LP with the CR120. Classic rock tones and shimmering cleans only, nothing to gainy. I am considering a more powerful pup in the bridge position of Strat or Tele, but I'm not sure I really need it. Just want to experiment a bit. I think Strat's and Orange work well for my needs.
Phil
Gibson Les Paul Traditional, Classic and Tribute. Fender American Standard Strat, Fender MIM Tele, Taylor GS Mini
Orange TH30c with G12H30 Anniversary speaker, 2xOrange PPC112 cabs
Roland Blues Cube Artist. CR120H. Dual Terror

Mystic38
Orange Expert

Post by Mystic38 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:25 pm

There is an endless set of pickup combinations that work in a strat, so there is no reason why you cannot get the most out of the combination of a strat and any sort of Orange amp.... I prefer an HSS setup as the bridge humbucker makes it much more versatile..
-Ian-

Orange Rocker 30c, PPC212 & PPC112, Fender DRRI, Marshall 2266
2012 Gibson LP Standard, 2001 Gibson LP DC Standard
2009 Fender Am. Standard Strat, 1999 Fender Am. Hardtail Strat
2014 G&L Fallout

***insert great photos of gear here***

fstrat76

Post by fstrat76 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:42 pm

I have a CS Strat with Texas Specials and a CS 69 bridge pickup.

IMO, the strat plays very weak with the Rockerverb MKIII on the dirt channel. A pickup booster on it sounds a bit better. Its a little disappointing. I have not been able to quite figure out a good setting for the combination yet.

ryandilello5

Post by ryandilello5 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:17 am

I'm using a strat with a CR120 head. It gets great tones, but you need some booster pedal to really get there. I have yet to try a tele with it, but I strongly prefer the strat to the Les Paul.

DiabloS
Orange Master

Post by DiabloS » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:54 am

After years of playing SG's through Orange amps, my favorite guitar through my Dual Terror + PPC212OB cab is a strat lately. Mostly on the neck pickup, gain around noon to 1 o'clock on the amp. I can get fairly clean with a little bit of grit if I pick lightly and more dirt when I dig in.

It all depends on the sound you're going for I guess. When I want to rock harder, the SG still does the trick but doesn't sound as nice for the sound I'm after with that amp now. No question strats can sound nice through Orange amps in the right context!
DOWNLOAD THE DIABLO STRANGE EP FOR FREE HERE -> http://diablostrange.bandcamp.com

Currently own:
Dual Terror
Micro Terror
PPC212OB

Used to own:
Thunderverb 50
Rocker 30
Tiny Terror

skerwo
Tiny Terror

Post by skerwo » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:53 am

DiabloS wrote:After years of playing SG's through Orange amps, my favorite guitar through my Dual Terror + PPC212OB cab is a strat lately. Mostly on the neck pickup, gain around noon to 1 o'clock on the amp. I can get fairly clean with a little bit of grit if I pick lightly and more dirt when I dig in.
That's also the way I use my two HSS strats with my Dual Terror. I owned Teles, LP, P90 guitars, but the two who stayed are my strats. With HSS the most versatile I know.
Amps:
no more Orange Amps
Captain Amp Tweed Super 2x10
Blackstar Fly 3

Guitars:
Diego HSS strat
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse

jangle
Orange Hero

Post by jangle » Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:54 pm

An EJ Strat and a Rockerverb 50 Mk I used to be my primary rig. I did about 2 years of local gigs and regional touring with that setup with satisfactory results.

BUT....I found the Orange 2x12 closed back cab was not a good choice so I moved over to an Avatar 4x12 with Eminence something or others. It was their Fender style cabinet which, although closed back also, had plenty of peripheral projection or bleed.