Open or closed back cabinet

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Re: Open or closed back cabinet

Post by Jondog » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:16 pm

lunchbox wrote:Open back cabs have less low end. If that's something that would negatively affect your music style, then I would suggest a closed back cab.

I wouldn't use an open back cab because of this.
I kind of disagree with that. Open backs have lots of low end, it just comes out the back :wink: This can work to a players advantage.

Hellavision

Post by Hellavision » Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:00 pm

I run an open back 2x12. I never had any problems with the low end lacking and compared to the other guitarplayers closed back 4x12 I can be heard pretty good all around the rehearsalroom and not just in front of it. I will be experimenting in the future, but for now I'm satisfied.

MojoBlaster

Post by MojoBlaster » Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:17 pm

I use 2 PPC112 closed back cabs. Our drummer, who does the majority of vocals, always complains
there is too much sound from my open back.
CS Stratocaster, CS Telecaster, partscaster Cabronita, Orange AD50 CS, OR15H, PPC 112 x2, Victoria 45410, Strymon Flint, El Capistan, Sweet Honey OD, JHS Bolt, Keeley Comp, Tiny Orange Phaser, Peterson Classic tuner, Pedal Power 2 Plus.

kars0747
Tiny Terror

Post by kars0747 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:34 pm

I go back and forth. I do tend to find that there is too much bass and a muddy sound when I play with an open cab. The closed back seem to tighten things up a bit, which I like. I think tight is the right word. The open back cab seem to produce more bass, but it seems too loose and muddy to me
Les Paul, Orange AD50 CS, ppc 212 ob with 3ow green back heritage (g12h 30) and a greenback (g12m), Boss tuner, Cry Baby, Electro Harmonix Electric Mistress, T-Rex replica and the orange sustain pedal

Hubaxe
Orange Expert

Post by Hubaxe » Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:25 am

I'm currently working on a 2X12 cab with an adjustable front bass vent (internal flap). I don't know yet if the concept works well, but I'll post some pictures if there is an interest on the forum. The thing will be completed sometimes next week.

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:49 pm

Hubaxe wrote:I'm currently working on a 2X12 cab with an adjustable front bass vent (internal flap). I don't know yet if the concept works well, but I'll post some pictures if there is an interest on the forum. The thing will be completed sometimes next week.

That would be cool to see.

What sort of flap? Like a port type thing that can be either closed or not?
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:48 pm

Les Paul Lover wrote:
Hubaxe wrote:I'm currently working on a 2X12 cab with an adjustable front bass vent (internal flap). I don't know yet if the concept works well, but I'll post some pictures if there is an interest on the forum. The thing will be completed sometimes next week.

Definitely like to hear how it works. I thought about doing that on the 2x12 port city clone cab I built, but didn't want to risk all the effort and end up with vibration. Interestingly I "accidentally" came across something I want to try on a cab while I was working on a hydraulic pump and motor machine enclosed in a cabinet at work the other day. Without getting into specifics I was able to change the "tone" of the machine by opening and closing a small metal door of an electrical enclosure mounted on the larger cabinet. Almost like I was tuning the cabinet without having to port anything, and it was more of the lower mid frequencies rather than bass that were changing. I probably looked a little nuts standing there focused intensely on moving this little door back and forth for 10 minutes :?

Hubaxe
Orange Expert

Post by Hubaxe » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:21 am

Almost completed. I should be able to plug it this week end. I'll let you know if that works (or not), and will post pictures of the inside.

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:21 pm

Jondog wrote:
Les Paul Lover wrote:

Definitely like to hear how it works. I thought about doing that on the 2x12 port city clone cab I built, but didn't want to risk all the effort and end up with vibration. Interestingly I "accidentally" came across something I want to try on a cab while I was working on a hydraulic pump and motor machine enclosed in a cabinet at work the other day. Without getting into specifics I was able to change the "tone" of the machine by opening and closing a small metal door of an electrical enclosure mounted on the larger cabinet. Almost like I was tuning the cabinet without having to port anything, and it was more of the lower mid frequencies rather than bass that were changing. I probably looked a little nuts standing there focused intensely on moving this little door back and forth for 10 minutes :?

:lol:

Well, you knew you were onto something - that's all that matters!!!
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

onetracker
Rocker

Post by onetracker » Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:58 pm

open back for low-mid volumes, closed back for high volume. generally, with many exceptions, of course,
what can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof

Hubaxe
Orange Expert

Post by Hubaxe » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:51 pm

Les Paul Lover wrote: Well, you knew you were onto something - that's all that matters!!!
And here it is. some details to be perfected (tolex on front, and I need to stem the grillcloth to tighten).
So there is a wheel on the back that move the internal flap from close (up) to open (down).

And I can very honestly say that it works well. The flap changes the sound. Opened the bass are more present, and the amp sound much warmer. No parasite sound from the ball bearing or the mechanical parts.
Anyway, even if it did not work, that was a good occasion to undig my quadX and the power amp from the barn.
Pictures:

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:17 pm

Looks good! You're cab design looks exactly how I was designing my next build :lol: Combo with a closed ported cab.

Hubaxe
Orange Expert

Post by Hubaxe » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:13 pm

ported cab works fine to me.
I've also given a slight angle up to the speakers.

kars0747
Tiny Terror

Post by kars0747 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:43 pm

great work. :D looks cool
Les Paul, Orange AD50 CS, ppc 212 ob with 3ow green back heritage (g12h 30) and a greenback (g12m), Boss tuner, Cry Baby, Electro Harmonix Electric Mistress, T-Rex replica and the orange sustain pedal

onetracker
Rocker

Post by onetracker » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:02 pm

I LOVE it. some great flexibility there.
what can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof