Shocker: Cabs matter

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

afjungemann
Rocker

Shocker: Cabs matter

Post by afjungemann » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:14 am

Had practice tonight with the band but one of the other guys has a couple cabs there so I just brought my DD100 and plugged into his cab. It sounded like absolute garbage. No low end and just gross sounding. I thought maybe it was just me but one of the other players commented that it sounded really junky.

I just couldn't believe the difference it made. I knew different cabs would behave differently but this was extreme. I might just lug around my orange cab more often.
Rockerverb 100 MKIII
Rockerverb 50 MKIII combo
AD30TC combo
TH30c
Fender Bassman
Fender Princeton
gibson explorer custom
gibson es355
gibson es359
gibson sg custom
gibson les paul custom
gibson les paul standard
gibson les paul studio
gibson melody maker

onetracker
Rocker

Re: Shocker: Cabs matter

Post by onetracker » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:27 pm

afjungemann wrote:Had practice tonight with the band but one of the other guys has a couple cabs there so I just brought my DD100 and plugged into his cab. It sounded like absolute garbage. No low end and just gross sounding. I thought maybe it was just me but one of the other players commented that it sounded really junky.

I just couldn't believe the difference it made. I knew different cabs would behave differently but this was extreme. I might just lug around my orange cab more often.

how did his cabinet sound with his amp and guitar?
what can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:10 pm

Speakers and cabs make a HUGE difference to the sound. Logical when you think about it, but many people don't... ;)

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

lunchbox
Orange Hero

Post by lunchbox » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:15 pm

While I don't hear a lot of difference between cabs built with the same or similar materials of approximately the same size, I do hear night/day differences in the speakers that are in them.

As an aside, I just took delivery of my new-to-me CRPRO412 yeaterday and got to rock it with my drummer last night. OMG, what an awesome tone I have now. HUGE and beefy, tons of low end with really well pronounced mids. I really like the VOTW speakers so far (which I think are just re-branded V30's :wink: ).

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:29 pm

a.hun wrote:Speakers and cabs make a HUGE difference to the sound. Logical when you think about it, but many people don't... ;)

Andy.
+1 ......It's another massively important part of the chain.
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,
Fender elite Start, Gibson SG 61,fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Rocker 30

thejay
Orange Expert

Post by thejay » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:23 pm

Oranges - R32, OR50, R30, RVMKIII, OR100, AD30, OB212, CB212 (2x)
Non Orange - Mesa, Friedman, Vox & Marshall
Former Oranges - TT, JRT, OR15, RVMKII
YouTube https://bit.ly/2pSp3sk
http://bigbattlebear.bandcamp.com

afjungemann
Rocker

Post by afjungemann » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:38 pm

a.hun wrote:Speakers and cabs make a HUGE difference to the sound. Logical when you think about it, but many people don't... ;)

Andy.
I completely agree. And I did expect the cab to affect the tone but I just couldn't believe it was THAT different.
Rockerverb 100 MKIII
Rockerverb 50 MKIII combo
AD30TC combo
TH30c
Fender Bassman
Fender Princeton
gibson explorer custom
gibson es355
gibson es359
gibson sg custom
gibson les paul custom
gibson les paul standard
gibson les paul studio
gibson melody maker

fiveightandten
Orange Master

Post by fiveightandten » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:56 pm

Speakers make a HUGE difference. I'd say they matter just as much as the amp and guitar. Speakers have a drastic and profound affect on:
-Frequency response
-Dynamic response
-Overall volume

Frequency response:
Obviously different speakers sound different, but many people who have not experimented with speakers don't realize just HOW different. Even within a single manufacturer, Eg., there is a huge difference in sound between a V30 and a Greenback. G12T75's will make even a mid-forward amp sound scooped. A SF Fender through a V30 will sound more mid forward than a 70's Marshall through a G12T75. It can not be overstated just how much of a difference speakers can make in the overall sound of your setup.

Dynamic response:
Lower powered speakers, and those with smaller magnets, compress very easily and pretty early on. They get a grind and add natural compression that makes for a huge part of the sound. Anyone who has ever played a Vox AC-30 through 2 Celestion blues or 50W Marshall JMP through a Greenback 4x12 has experienced this, but they may not notice it. When you take those same amps and run them through higher powered speakers, you will find that the grind, compression, and dynamic response is completely changed. It's as profound as the difference between your amp being played with the master on 1 vs 10.

Overall volume:
There's a HUGE variation in speaker sensitivity (efficiency). You have speakers out there as low as 96dB (or lower) and up to 100 dB (or even higher). The consequential volume difference between these 2 extremes is as large as the difference when you double the power of the amp (15W vs 30W, or 50W vs 100W). It's not to be taken lightly. Speaker choice can be used to squeeze the most volume or headroom out of your amp, or it can be used to take the edge of the volume of an amp that needs to be cranked to sound best (read: all of them).

I think every guitar player should AB their amp through some contrasting speakers that have different attributes. You'll learn a lot about what you like and what you don't.

Cabinets also make a difference. Cabinet construction makes a noticeable difference as well and you will definitely her a difference between open back, closed back, and ported.

Personally, my go-to these days is an open back 2x12 loaded with V30's (I have a PPC212OB and 2 Avatars). I like the clarity, fast response, and mid forward sound of the V30, and I prefer the open sound and nice dispersion of an open backed cab. These speakers sound great, but the high efficiency they have is a hindrance with most of my amps, which are powerful to begin with. I run Greenbacks as well, and those compress very easily, have less low end, a warmer (yet more blurry) midrange, and sweeter highs. They work well for some things.

If you haven't messed around with speakers, do it! To any guys in New England, USA, i'm always down to get together to compare cabinets, amps, or whatever. It's always a learning experience.

-Nick
'71 GRO100 || '96 OR-80 || AD30 || '64 AC-50 || AC-30TBX || Hiwatt DR504 || HI-TONE HT30
LP Standard || LP Studio || LP Custom Lite || Ric 620 || Ric 360 || MIA Tele || SG 61 RI

murkofaeons
Tiny Terror

Post by murkofaeons » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:18 pm

I just got a PPC412 this weekend because all my amps sounded awful through my marshall cab with g12t-75s but they all sounded pretty good through my PPC112. I have to say the PPC412 sounds great and I wish I had gotten one sooner!!

fiveightandten
Orange Master

Post by fiveightandten » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:50 am

murkofaeons wrote:I just got a PPC412 this weekend because all my amps sounded awful through my marshall cab with g12t-75s but they all sounded pretty good through my PPC112. I have to say the PPC412 sounds great and I wish I had gotten one sooner!!
Nice. Another CT member. 8)
'71 GRO100 || '96 OR-80 || AD30 || '64 AC-50 || AC-30TBX || Hiwatt DR504 || HI-TONE HT30
LP Standard || LP Studio || LP Custom Lite || Ric 620 || Ric 360 || MIA Tele || SG 61 RI

onetracker
Rocker

Post by onetracker » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:07 pm

lunchbox wrote:While I don't hear a lot of difference between cabs built with the same or similar materials of approximately the same size, I do hear night/day differences in the speakers that are in them.

As an aside, I just took delivery of my new-to-me CRPRO412 yeaterday and got to rock it with my drummer last night. OMG, what an awesome tone I have now. HUGE and beefy, tons of low end with really well pronounced mids. I really like the VOTW speakers so far (which I think are just re-branded V30's :wink: ).
great comparison on cabs here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIgRGI4aRxw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
what can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof