thoughts on and experiences with Rockerverb MKIII?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

wrath
Orange Hero

thoughts on and experiences with Rockerverb MKIII?

Post by wrath » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:08 pm

So, any experiences with the Orange Rockerverb 100 MKIII here? I see they shoved all the specs of OR100 (switchable watts) and Thunderverb (attenuator) in it. That looks nice on paper, but I wonder about reliability. I have had RV50 MKI for around 10 years now and no problems with it whatsoever. I also have a vintage OR120 Overdrive and no problems with it either. I very much like both amps although they are quite different. OR is a beast with a huge low end, RV is very versatile, I like its dirty channel (although I do prefer the dirt of the OR, but then again the versatility of that RV's dirty channel makes it being able to go from crunchy vintage distortion to a full on heavy metal assault...and that I like!), it has a great clean channel and a very nice reverb. What draws me to the new Rockerverb 100 MKIII is the fact that I could actually play it at home and get a decent tone out of it. Since it goes from 100, 70, 50, to 30 watts and it has an attenuator it seems it can go from a loud gigging amp to a bedroom amp. On the other hand I'm thinking of spending way less money and just getting a H&K Tubemeister 18 which can go down to 1 watt and even has an input for earphones.
Amplification: 70s OR120 Overdrive, Rockerverb 50 MKI, Rockerverb 100 MKII, PPC412
Axes: Tokai Love Rock LS-80, ESP LTD Viper 400
Synth: Novation Bass Station II

joe545

Re: thoughts on and experiences with Rockerverb MKIII?

Post by joe545 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:39 am

The attenuator feature allows infinite level adjustments. I leave mine on full power to get the most headroom and adjust the attenuator down to bedroom level and the tone is huge with tons of gain. I'm using it with the orange 4x12 so the sound is woody and huge at any level. I did change tubes to tung sols for preamp and the Preferred series EL's they sell at the tube store.com. Im very glad I went this route. very musical/tone controls are more impactful.

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:11 pm

Mk III reliability should be better if anything. Ade get rid of the silly cheapskate internal connectors, all properly soldered now. :)
See about 3:50 here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyrnvSIXWCg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You aware of the notched controls? I like them fine on the BBg, but they might come as a surprise if not expecting them.

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

alexauxier
Forum Admin

Post by alexauxier » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:15 pm

The MKIII's are the most reliable by far. We're barely having any issues with them. I can't stress enough how awesome the 100 watt MKIII is. It's just everything that was awesome about the previous Rockerverb versions mixed with the best parts of the OR100 and Thunderverb.
--
Alex Auxier
Orange Amps
Artist Relations Manager

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:30 pm

I need to try it.....!!!

I loved the OR100 when I tried it. I'm wondering how close the RV100 is to that OR100 dirty channel!
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

wrath
Orange Hero

Post by wrath » Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:12 am

alexauxier wrote:The MKIII's are the most reliable by far. We're barely having any issues with them. I can't stress enough how awesome the 100 watt MKIII is. It's just everything that was awesome about the previous Rockerverb versions mixed with the best parts of the OR100 and Thunderverb.
damn....I will now just have to buy it...
Amplification: 70s OR120 Overdrive, Rockerverb 50 MKI, Rockerverb 100 MKII, PPC412
Axes: Tokai Love Rock LS-80, ESP LTD Viper 400
Synth: Novation Bass Station II

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:50 am

wrath wrote:
alexauxier wrote:The MKIII's are the most reliable by far. We're barely having any issues with them. I can't stress enough how awesome the 100 watt MKIII is. It's just everything that was awesome about the previous Rockerverb versions mixed with the best parts of the OR100 and Thunderverb.
damn....I will now just have to buy it...
I think based on that recommendation we all should!
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,
Fender elite Start, Gibson SG 61,fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Rocker 30

thejay
Orange Expert

Post by thejay » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:54 am

The MKIII is amazing; it can do anything with ease
Oranges - R32, OR50, R30, RVMKIII, OR100, AD30, OB212, CB212 (2x)
Non Orange - Mesa, Friedman, Vox & Marshall
Former Oranges - TT, JRT, OR15, RVMKII
YouTube https://bit.ly/2pSp3sk
http://bigbattlebear.bandcamp.com

Bensnake
Orange Master

Post by Bensnake » Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:28 pm

thejay wrote:The MKIII is amazing; it can do anything with ease
Even boiling eggs?
RV100 MKIII | '75 OR120 | OR100 | OR50 | CS50 | R30H | TT
2 x PPC412
Bax B. | Amp D.

Marshall 1959 HW + 1936V
Fender '65 Super Reverb Reissue
Vox AC30C2X + V212C

Playing Les Pauls and Teles...

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:10 pm

Bensnake wrote:
thejay wrote:The MKIII is amazing; it can do anything with ease
Even boiling eggs?

And much more. They never told you?

The best kept secret is the keg cooler and self cleaning draft tap for constant fresh beer supply.
Ant

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Hellavision

Post by Hellavision » Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:21 pm

Les Paul Lover wrote:The best kept secret is the keg cooler and self cleaning draft tap for constant fresh beer supply.
I thought that feature was exclusive to the Keggerverb...

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:55 pm

Hellavision wrote:
Les Paul Lover wrote:The best kept secret is the keg cooler and self cleaning draft tap for constant fresh beer supply.
I thought that feature was exclusive to the Keggerverb...

No, buy the keggerverb has 2 taps though. I need to buy that amp.......
Ant

BeyondTheSunn

Post by BeyondTheSunn » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:58 pm

I yearn to own a valve powered Orange head in the future. The OR100 is no more sadly, it would be my first choice however, I'm needing an amp that is capable for home use as well as for rehearsing and gigging/low to high volumes and as far as I can gather, the OR100 isn't suited for home use even with half power and the wattage switched right down. The Rockerverb 100 MKIII with it's built in attenuator seems perfect for my needs.

On a separate note, by time I get the financial resources together I'm hoping Orange will come out with an OR-like amp with a built in attenuator. Otherwise, I'd be well chuffed with a MKII 100.

onetracker
Rocker

Post by onetracker » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:13 pm

BeyondTheSunn wrote:I yearn to own a valve powered Orange head in the future. The OR100 is no more sadly, it would be my first choice however, I'm needing an amp that is capable for home use as well as for rehearsing and gigging/low to high volumes and as far as I can gather, the OR100 isn't suited for home use even with half power and the wattage switched right down. The Rockerverb 100 MKIII with it's built in attenuator seems perfect for my needs.

On a separate note, by time I get the financial resources together I'm hoping Orange will come out with an OR-like amp with a built in attenuator. Otherwise, I'd be well chuffed with a MKII 100.
I had to look up chuffed.
what can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof