Guitar Weight. Does it matter?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

msmith4432
Orange Master

Re: Guitar Weight. Does it matter?

Post by msmith4432 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:00 am

a.hun wrote:Well, who knows? TBH though not a particular PRS fan myself, they are one of the makes I'd be slightly less unlikely to buy 'blind'. Simply because of their superior consistency. So (just to be cruel! :P) maybe you were missing out on a really nice one there, just because of it's lower than normal weight. Though chances are, yes, it probably wouldn't have been so heavily discounted if it really was a cracker. Who knows though? ;)

Hope the one you do get is stunning. I've played a few PRS guitars, all of which were 'nice enough I suppose', but one of which really was a beauty. (Had P.90s whatever it was, a really superb guitar.)
I know, you always wonder what if.. but as long as I'm happy with the one I'm getting I will quit wondering about the other one
Mesa boogie Stiletto ace
OR 50 40th anniversary
Orange CS50
Orange 2x12 ppc
Mesa Boogie wide body 1x12
Gibson Les Paul custom black beauty(maple Fretboard)
Gibson Les Paul custom 58 vos
Gibson les Paul custom 57 vos

megalithic
Orange Hero

Re: Guitar Weight. Does it matter?

Post by megalithic » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:30 am

I would personally avoid the one under 6 lbs. because I have never played one that's so light that felt comfortable. Not that I would want 9 lbs. either, but I have played more guitars that are too light than ones that are too heavy.

Of course there are more factors like body shape, strap button placement, as well as personal preferences like how high you strap your guitar and what kind of music you play on it that will ultimately decide if you like it or if you don't find it comfortable.