What flavor Orange fits me?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

mountain2012

What flavor Orange fits me?

Post by mountain2012 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:36 am

What high gain Orange amp with a master volume control is most similar to a Mesa Rectifier in terms of its loose distortion characteristic (loose vs tight)?

Mesa Rectifiers are great, but I love and prefer the low-mid heavy tone of Orange amps.

I used to own a Rocker 30 but it wasn't punchy enough for me, probably because of its cathode bias.

I would try them all, but that is not possible financially or logistically for me.

snickerpuss
Orange Hero

Re: What flavor Orange fits me?

Post by snickerpuss » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:58 am

Hm. From my experience with it, I thought the Rocker 30 was the punchiest Orange since the 90's reissues, and possibly the punchiest of the lot. It sounds like the Rockerverb might be your flavor. Modern, high gain, loose when saturated... The other oranges that jump to mind are the Dual Dark and Thunderverbs, but the Thunderverbs are pretty chewy and desert/stoner/doom rock voiced, while Dual Darks are modern and tight, but definitely not one trick ponies.

What do you like to play? Who are your signature tonal influences?
Teles, Strat, SG
AD140 Lead, OR100, OTR120, Marshall 2558, Hi-Tone HT100
Lee Jackson Oversized 412 V30s, Hiwatt SE4123 Purple Fanes, Orange PPC412
Pedalspedalspedals

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:13 pm

snickerpuss wrote:Hm. From my experience with it, I thought the Rocker 30 was the punchiest Orange since the 90's reissues, and possibly the punchiest of the lot.
Yep...

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:57 pm

The rockerverb seems to be the most likely fit.

The AD30 is looser in feel (valve rectifier) but hasn't got that much gain. Great amp though, and takes pedals / boosts really well if you need more gain.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:53 pm

TH100?

mountain2012

Post by mountain2012 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:14 pm

snickerpuss wrote:What do you like to play? Who are your signature tonal influences?
Nirvana's guitar tones on their albums (not live), although they are a tad bit too solid state for me.

So I've narrowed it down to OR100, TH100, Rockerverb 100 and Dual Dark.

From what I've gathered so far and correct me if I'm wrong:

OR100: More a "vintage" tone, as much gain as a juiced-up JCM800
TH100: Sludgy doom tone
RV100: A slightly more modern tone with more gain on tap than the TH100
Dual Dark: A modern voicing with a tight bottom end, akin to the distortion characteristic of a 5150

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:08 pm

Came across this outlining his amps.

http://www.kurtsequipment.com/recordingpage.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If this is accurate seems like he switched between his twin and a mesa preamp into crown/crest poweramps. Can't really say any Oranges that will have that same sound. Do you have any more modern bands that influence your tone?

If you really want to know how the amps sound download a program called Amplitube custom shop. You can demo nearly all of the bigger Orange tube heads free for 24 hours. Might help you make a decision if you have the time. I tested out the OR50 model a few months back as I was set on buying it. After jamming it for a little while I decided I wasn't a fan. Then have a ton of amps on there too, so you might even be able to compare your current rig. It seems like you are very particular about your "sound" so without you trying each amp, I'm not sure how much help we can be. Versatility wise IMO, the Rockerverb 100 MKIII is the one you should look at.

P.S. My Rocker 30 is way punchier than my Rockerverb 100 ever was.

afjungemann
Rocker

Post by afjungemann » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:40 pm

double post
Last edited by afjungemann on Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rockerverb 100 MKIII
Rockerverb 50 MKIII combo
AD30TC combo
TH30c
Fender Bassman
Fender Princeton
gibson explorer custom
gibson es355
gibson es359
gibson sg custom
gibson les paul custom
gibson les paul standard
gibson les paul studio
gibson melody maker

afjungemann
Rocker

Post by afjungemann » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:41 pm

mountain2012 wrote:
snickerpuss wrote:What do you like to play? Who are your signature tonal influences?
From what I've gathered so far and correct me if I'm wrong:

OR100: More a "vintage" tone, as much gain as a juiced-up JCM800
TH100: Sludgy doom tone
RV100: A slightly more modern tone with more gain on tap than the TH100
Dual Dark: A modern voicing with a tight bottom end, akin to the distortion characteristic of a 5150
I would say you are right for the most part but a couple things. The TH100 dirty channel and DD dirty channel are effectively the same thing. I have played the TH100 quite a bit and I can't tell any difference with my DD channel B. The OR100 is VERY similar to the RV MK III. There are some small differences but I didn't notice anything that couldn't be EQ'd in or out.

The TH100, DD, and RV are all 4 gain stage dirty channels and between my DD and RV, the DD has much more saturation. That is one area where the OR100 differs from the RV, the OR100 has 3 gain stages.

The 5150 and DD is probably fair enough but there is still a bit of difference. The 5150 is WAY more compressed. the DD is much better in that department but the 5150 has more crunch while the DD has more fizz. If you want crunchier, I would say OR100 or RV.

I hope that helps!
Rockerverb 100 MKIII
Rockerverb 50 MKIII combo
AD30TC combo
TH30c
Fender Bassman
Fender Princeton
gibson explorer custom
gibson es355
gibson es359
gibson sg custom
gibson les paul custom
gibson les paul standard
gibson les paul studio
gibson melody maker

mountain2012

Post by mountain2012 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:18 am

afjungemann wrote:
I hope that helps!
TYVM. I'll have more questions after trying the models out on Amplitube. It helped me figure out how the volume knob affects the tone on a Dual Rec.
Boy_Narf wrote:
If you really want to know how the amps sound download a program called Amplitube custom shop. You can demo nearly all of the bigger Orange tube heads free for 24 hours. Might help you make a decision if you have the time.

MikeD
Orange Expert

Post by MikeD » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:50 pm

I do enjoy the Amplitube plug-in for what it is, a great sounding amp simulator and even though the Oranges have the flavor I find them being quite different from the real thing.

Just a heads up so no important decisions are made from the tone your getting there. I for example would never of gotten my amp based on the amplitube version... It sucks balls. I fell in love with the tone coming from an artist using the amp and the same guitars that I favor.....and even basing an amp purchase on that is a little daring!! It's always better to rock one out in real life!!
Gibson: Angus Young SG 03 / LP Standard 05 / Firebird V 01
Orange: RV50 mkII & ppc212-c / Micro Dark & ppc112 / TH30 Combo

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:16 pm

Hmm.

My TT and the TT on Amplitube are nearly identical. There is a difference playing the amp in person of course. There is actual air moving. I figured it would be a good idea for him to fire up the Mesa model in the app along side some of the Oranges he is considering. That way at least he could note the tonal differences as a first step.

Phlowen
Rocker

Post by Phlowen » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:58 pm

MikeD wrote:I do enjoy the Amplitube plug-in for what it is, a great sounding amp simulator and even though the Oranges have the flavor I find them being quite different from the real thing.

Just a heads up so no important decisions are made from the tone your getting there. I for example would never of gotten my amp based on the amplitube version... It sucks balls. I fell in love with the tone coming from an artist using the amp and the same guitars that I favor.....and even basing an amp purchase on that is a little daring!! It's always better to rock one out in real life!!
I second this.
RV 50 MKI | TH30 | RV 50 MKIII
G&L Tele (ASAT Classic) | Musicman Bongo 5
Anesthesia - Post-Rock/Ambient band - anesthesiaproject.com