OR100 for nothing almost

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Ruptor

OR100 for nothing almost

Post by Ruptor » Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:14 am

I am about to make you all sick because I was given an original OR100 Orange Matamp but it wasn't working. I fixed a guys Vox AC30 that was dead and he gave me the OR100. Your going to get even more sick now because his mate didn't want a 4 speaker Orange unit that they used with the amp in their band and he sold it to me for £50. I didn't really know the value of these things and truth told I still don't. I just bought them because I had the cash at the time and always wanted a valve amp with speakers. I think they must have been a good deal because I saw the bloke a few months later and he said you got a real bargain there. :lol:
I fixed the amp without too much bother but when I compare it to the sound of the AC30 they are completely different. I didn't really want to give the AC30 back and thought about leaving the country with it but being the honest chap that I am I let him have it back. :roll: The Matamp sounds dull compared to the Vox and I have read some comments that this is the case. I have seen a modification that removes a capacitor to reduce the filtering and make the sound brighter so I might try that and see. I have asked Matamp if they can give me the specification and production date but it is probably similar to David Watt's one on the other thread. I asked on that thread if anybody had a circuit for my amp but it fell on deaf ears. One thing I am sure of is it is bloody loud. :shock:

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Re: OR100 for nothing almost

Post by bclaire » Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:58 am

wow

Ruptor

Post by Ruptor » Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:36 pm

Just to rub salt in the wound of the bargain the Matamp has its original Mullard british made valves but is there any real difference between the valves? A long time ago I bought 4xEL34 valves made in GDR for £6 to build an AC30 circuit but I never got round to it because the transformers were very difficult to get hold of and cost an arm and a leg. Are these GDR valves any good as replacements for the Mullard ones or are they tripe?

ironlung40
Orange Master

Post by ironlung40 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:52 pm

I am ignoring this thread.
Sincerely,
Ironlung40
OR120 Pix/text
Tiny Terror HW
Rocker 30 combo
Rockververb 100 MKII
Thunderverb 200
Gibson SG 61 RI

jontheid
Orange Expert

Post by jontheid » Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:44 pm

A long time ago I bought 4xEL34 valves made in GDR for £6 to build an AC30 circuit
You what?

Ruptor

Post by Ruptor » Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:49 pm

ironlung40 wrote:I am ignoring this thread.
Oh no you are not. :lol: Well this is the pantomime season. :lol:

ironlung40
Orange Master

Post by ironlung40 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:59 pm

Ruptor wrote:
ironlung40 wrote:I am ignoring this thread.
Oh no you are not. :lol: Well this is the pantomime season. :lol:

The OR100 has been my dream for many years now, and it has been hard coming to the reality that I probably will never own one after having a couple of close calls securing a deal on one. So, I guess I really have to ignore this thread to keep my sanity.

I am trying to not wish you ill will!! :mrgreen:
Sincerely,
Ironlung40
OR120 Pix/text
Tiny Terror HW
Rocker 30 combo
Rockververb 100 MKII
Thunderverb 200
Gibson SG 61 RI

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:26 pm

jontheid wrote:
A long time ago I bought 4xEL34 valves made in GDR for £6 to build an AC30 circuit
You what?
Obviously, an Ac30 with a modified single ended El34 power section, with 3 El34 as spare, because, you know, the Ac30 is well known for running super hot. It eats valves for breakfast.

--------------

Ruptor, you have to stop teasing us.

Please, upload some pics to photobucket ASAP and share the pic links with us please. We want to drool with you.....!!!!!
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Ruptor

Post by Ruptor » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:59 am

I nearly strained my bad back lifting the Matamp on top of the freezer so I could take a photo. Here is the box
http://photobucket.com/user/Ruptor/medi ... 4.jpg.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Looking at the photo I realised someone stuck a Union Jack on the front and it is lopsided so he was probably drunk or high. :roll: Well it was from a band in the Seventies. I remembered the brother of the guy that gave me the amp gave me a non working Big Muff that you can see here. Yet another freebie I am afraid but they all needed fixing so I had to earn them. The Pi is the one with the opamps in it that I think is a version 4 from about 1974. Here
http://photobucket.com/user/Ruptor/medi ... 0.jpg.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I guess if someone wanted an OR100 they could make one without any knowledge of circuits since it is just a matter of copying the layout in the pictures that only requires mechanical application with soldering. The PCB looks like they kept the location of the components from a tag board design and just replaced the tag board connecting wires with PCB tracks so you could use a tag board and wires instead of the PCB.
GB is the best place to pick up a vintage Orange unit since they were made here and the band scene was big here back in the day. There are probably a few knocking about in lofts forgotten about.

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:37 pm

:shock: :shock: :shock: and one more :shock: plus a :D