Jimi Hendrix Band of Gypsys Fuzz Face

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

ryandilello5

Jimi Hendrix Band of Gypsys Fuzz Face

Post by ryandilello5 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:04 pm

So I finally bought this pedal. It's incredibly versatile and sounds absolutely incredible, but I noticed something kind of amusing...

When you play it through the clean channel on a cr120 head, right before a tube screamer for breakup, it sounds exactly like the Orange drive channel. Very, very similar.

But in general, for anyone looking at this pedal, do get it. It sounds fantastic and blends in with the Orange gain really well.

I'll add this post to the distortion pedal thread that was recently resurrected when I can.

Happy New Year!

FleshOnGear
Rocker

Re: Jimi Hendrix Band of Gypsys Fuzz Face

Post by FleshOnGear » Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:12 am

Glad you're digging it! I didn't know anything about this pedal until I saw this thread, so I decided to research it. I saw a gearmandude YouTube vid that compares it to the earlier blue Hendrix Fuzz Face. It sounds really good!

Turns out, the pedal is not truly a Fuzz Face, but an Octavia with the octave circuit removed. I love how it has a warmer overdrive tone when you roll back the guitar volume vs the extreme clean-up of the traditional Fuzz Face circuit (which is also cool, just different).
Orange OR100
Marshall 2555SL
Freda 2x12's
Laney 2x12
Gibson Faded Flying V