Moderator: bclaire

onetracker
Rocker

Re: Rocker 30 Kt77 or El34L

Post by onetracker » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:01 pm

what is PM?

FleshOnGear wrote:
a.hun wrote:
kpunk56 wrote:I was thinking also about 6ca7. Didn't the rocker first come with those ? I think I saw a demo or an article and all the early ones had those stock.
Yeah, mine had JJ 6CA7s stock. Brilliant, no plans to change, suits the amp perfectly for my tastes. :D

Andy.
Boy_Narf wrote:Really? All my amps have JJ re-tube kits installed. Sound is so much better than it was with the no name stock tubes. The exception is my Traynor IronHorse. Tube swap made no difference.
My whole rig has changed since I last tried JJ power tubes. I feel like I should give them another shot when it's time to get replacements, especially because I never tried the JJ 6CA7. They also make the EL34 II now. My memory of JJ E34Ls in my old Marshall isn't a positive memory, but it has been many years and that Marshall is long gone now. Thinking back to the KT77, I vaguely remember a very solid, articulate midrange quality to them. Not a bad tube, I guess just not what I wanted to hear at the time.

With that said, I must admit I don't understand why so many people tend to be so dismissive of the tubes that currently come stock in Oranges. I think those PMs sound fantastic. I know we've been talking about power tubes here, but I rolled preamp tubes in my OR after I had the amp for a couple of months, and I ended up putting all of the PM preamp tubes back except for the phase inverter. And I was trying ANOS Mullards, Sylvanias, Tung Sols, Teslas, Telefunkens, etc., along with current Tung Sols, JJs, and Mullards. I ended up putting a Tesla E83CC in the phase inverter, and the rest of the old PM pres stayed. The pulled PM went into my Jube.

The PM EL34s appear to be the same as the Ruby EL34B-STR that I used to use. I always loved the sound of that tube, so I'm not eager to replace them until necessary.
what can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof

pedecamp
Orange Hero

Re: Rocker 30 Kt77 or El34L

Post by pedecamp » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:20 pm

Les Paul Lover wrote:
pedecamp wrote:
kpunk56 wrote:In my Rocker 30 , I am currently using EL34L JJ's I have been thinking about trying KT77's

What could I expect ? If anyone has experience with both, Please chime in and tell what you preferred and why.
I have used both tubes in my Orange and really couldn't hear any difference, matter of fact no matter what tubes are in my Orange it always sounds the same. Now in my Marshall that's a different story, different tubes make a huge difference in tone.
pedecamp wrote:
Gladmarr wrote:I had a set of the JJ E34Ls in a 70s OD120 and they sound like a$$. I do not recommend!
Yeah JJ E34L sounded terrible in any amp I put them in.
Sorry.... They didn't make a difference or they sounded terrible?

Confused??? :lol:
My Orange sounds good, it sounds the same whatever tubes I put in it, different tubes don't make any difference. Those same tubes in my Marshall its a whole different world, tubes make a huge difference in tone. Other than in my Orange, JJ E34L sound terrible to me in my Marshalls, KT77 the same but for one exception, they sound really good in a Marshall DSL.
Thunderverb 50