Digital Delays

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

FleshOnGear
Rocker

Digital Delays

Post by FleshOnGear » Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:18 am

Ok, I'm hoping you guys can shed some light on delays for me. I'm one of those weirdos who prefers digital delay, and I picked up a Boss DD7 because it has a decent feature set for a modest amount of dough.

But, running it in front of the amp, it's way too hissy. I'm talking about twice as much hiss compared to taking it out of the chain. I don't mind upgrading to something a bit pricier if it's quieter, and can do smooth pitch bends on the repeats when you turn the time knob.

I was looking at a DD-500 mainly to compare noise levels with the DD7, and I found that it was much quieter. When I turned the time knob, though, I didn't get the bending effect I wanted. Later on I discovered that you can make large changes in delay time if you press down the knob when you turn it, and that you can assign the time parameter to an expression pedal. It might be able to do what I want, but I don't know when I will get an opportunity to test it again.

So, do any of you have any experience with the DD-500, or any other delays that will do what I need? What other suggestions do you have? I'm not especially interested in emulations of esoteric analog delays, I just want clean clear sound and smooth manipulation of time and feedback. Thanks!
Orange OR100
Marshall 2555SL
Freda 2x12's
Laney 2x12
Gibson Faded Flying V

afjungemann
Rocker

Re: Digital Delays

Post by afjungemann » Fri Dec 23, 2016 2:43 am

What if you run it in the loop?
Rockerverb 100 MKIII
Rockerverb 50 MKIII combo
AD30TC combo
TH30c
Fender Bassman
Fender Princeton
gibson explorer custom
gibson es355
gibson es359
gibson sg custom
gibson les paul custom
gibson les paul standard
gibson les paul studio
gibson melody maker

joeminer
Tiny Terror

Post by joeminer » Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:49 am

I have an Alexander delay that I really like. It's pricier than Boss, but not Strymon pricey.

https://reverb.com/item/3659091-alexand ... AN_Q&pla=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Orange AD30htc
Orange Tiny Terror
Orange PPC212
Orange PPC112
Gibson LP Standard (Double Cut)
Fender American Deluxe Telecaster
Taylor T5 Custom Koa
Taylor 314ce
Little Martin
Lots of Pedals

FleshOnGear
Rocker

Post by FleshOnGear » Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:52 am

afjungemann wrote:What if you run it in the loop?
That's a fair point. I was really trying to keep my setup as simple as possible, and just go straight into the amp. Certainly the pedal will sound much quieter AFTER the amp's gain rather than before. At this point, after hearing the quietness of the DD500 compared to the DD7, going into distortion, it's hard not to feel like the DD7 is coloring my tone and raising the noise floor no matter where it is in the chain.

I just scoured YouTube for videos of the DD500, and after scanning videos for over an hour I finally saw a clip where somebody twisted the time control while the delay fed back on itself. It glitched and clicked. Not what I hoped to see, but that still leaves me wondering if a smooth glide is possible with an expression pedal.

I'm also curious about the Korg SDD-3000...
Orange OR100
Marshall 2555SL
Freda 2x12's
Laney 2x12
Gibson Faded Flying V

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:53 am

Don't even mess around with other digital delays. Just get a Strymon. Buy once cry once. The El Cap can actually be had for fairly cheap second hand.

FleshOnGear
Rocker

Post by FleshOnGear » Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:57 am

joeminer wrote:I have an Alexander delay that I really like. It's pricier than Boss, but not Strymon pricey.

https://reverb.com/item/3659091-alexand ... AN_Q&pla=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In the description it says they've removed the "rubber band" effect while adjusting the delay time. That sounds like the opposite of what I want. I always liked that sound on the old Boss digital delay pedals when you twisted the time knob.
Orange OR100
Marshall 2555SL
Freda 2x12's
Laney 2x12
Gibson Faded Flying V

afjungemann
Rocker

Post by afjungemann » Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:06 am

Boy_Narf wrote:Don't even mess around with other digital delays. Just get a Strymon. Buy once cry once. The El Cap can actually be had for fairly cheap second hand.
Best reply... The El Cap is great but I have a Brigadier and it usually goes for even cheaper. It is an awesome delay as well. I also have the Dig and if dual delay is your thing, it is cool... turns out it isn't my thing so it will be moving along shortly.
Rockerverb 100 MKIII
Rockerverb 50 MKIII combo
AD30TC combo
TH30c
Fender Bassman
Fender Princeton
gibson explorer custom
gibson es355
gibson es359
gibson sg custom
gibson les paul custom
gibson les paul standard
gibson les paul studio
gibson melody maker

joeminer
Tiny Terror

Post by joeminer » Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:11 am

FleshOnGear wrote:
joeminer wrote:I have an Alexander delay that I really like. It's pricier than Boss, but not Strymon pricey.

In the description it says they've removed the "rubber band" effect while adjusting the delay time. That sounds like the opposite of what I want. I always liked that sound on the old Boss digital delay pedals when you twisted the time knob.
I must have a previous version because it does make an interesting noise when I quickly adjust the time. Even if I tap tempo it in. Not really a big deal to me - if you don't want to hear that noise, set your speed, then turn it on. The only thing I don't like about the pedal is I can't hardly tell the difference between the orange and red LEDs. I do like the tap tempo and small package.
Orange AD30htc
Orange Tiny Terror
Orange PPC212
Orange PPC112
Gibson LP Standard (Double Cut)
Fender American Deluxe Telecaster
Taylor T5 Custom Koa
Taylor 314ce
Little Martin
Lots of Pedals

thejay
Orange Expert

Post by thejay » Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:39 pm

Go Strymon, destroys most pedals. I have also borrowed friends pedals and found settings I liked that I ended up programming on to the timeline for future use. Can't beat them, great pedals!
Oranges - R32, OR50, R30, RVMKIII, OR100, AD30, OB212, CB212 (2x)
Non Orange - Mesa, Friedman, Vox & Marshall
Former Oranges - TT, JRT, OR15, RVMKII
YouTube https://bit.ly/2pSp3sk
http://bigbattlebear.bandcamp.com

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:13 pm

I have the Vox Time Machine - it's a very reasonnably priced digital delay that I would recommend to anyone.
When you twist the time knob, it does that wonderful crazy "bending" effect which I think you want.

It sounds great - though it won't have as much variety as strymons, but they cost around £100 new, not £250 or £400. You can set it digital clean, digital "analog", and can set a little modulation on the repeats.

The tap tempa is great too, you can easily set it up on the fly, you can tap the tempo before you engage it too, and you can get up to 6 sec delay with the tap tempo. Changing tempo mid song is seemless.... unless you use the time knob, and then it goes crazy in a really fun way!

I bought mine for £70 2nd hand. It's the pedal I use the most too.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

FleshOnGear
Rocker

Post by FleshOnGear » Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:51 pm

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Really, if I could lay out the cash, I would get a Strymon Timeline. I have particular constraints on what I can afford, and how I can pay.

Ant, I'm curious about the Time Machine. It seems to tick the important boxes, but I have two more questions about it. Does it do subdivisions off of your tap tempo? On the Boss DD7 the tap tempo yields different note values depending on where the mode dial is set. Does the TM do this? How is the noise floor on it? Based on your amps, I assume you run the delay into the input of overdriven amps rather than in an effects loop. Any hiss issues?
Orange OR100
Marshall 2555SL
Freda 2x12's
Laney 2x12
Gibson Faded Flying V

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:18 pm

FleshOnGear wrote:Thanks for the suggestions guys. Really, if I could lay out the cash, I would get a Strymon Timeline. I have particular constraints on what I can afford, and how I can pay.

Ant, I'm curious about the Time Machine. It seems to tick the important boxes, but I have two more questions about it. Does it do subdivisions off of your tap tempo? On the Boss DD7 the tap tempo yields different note values depending on where the mode dial is set. Does the TM do this? How is the noise floor on it? Based on your amps, I assume you run the delay into the input of overdriven amps rather than in an effects loop. Any hiss issues?
Yes, there's a sub division knob, but it's mislabelled - it's called D (for delay) Range. The video below will show you what it can do - nothing fancy, it's the bog standard pro guitar shop demo, though I quite like them.

It's dead silent. Either in front of my AD15, or my rocker 30, or in the loop of my RV50, it's silent. Note that I run my AD15 on the dirty side of clean, so I can pick lightly and have a pretty clean tone, and dig in and have some nice break up. But even with the amp set for full crunch, with moderate delay and decay, it still sounds really good (usually on leads, I use delay on cleanish tones mainly - very few parts with heavy OD/fuzz beside leads).

https://youtu.be/BuAoXyzad-4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

JRogero
Orange Hero

Post by JRogero » Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:35 pm

I am not a fan of Line 6's amp modeling stuff but their delays are great. There is a reason the DL4 is so popular and on so many pro boards. I upgraded to the M9 just because I like the fact that it can be midi synced or tap tempo'd.

FleshOnGear
Rocker

Post by FleshOnGear » Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:13 am

Ok, yesterday I got a chance to test the DD500 again. It will so smooth pitch bends in analog mode only. For me, this is not sufficient. Worse yet, the delay can only be adjusted in 1 ms increments, so any on-the-fly adjustments below around 30 ms will cause audible jumps in pitch.

The DD500 is not going to cut it. Too bad, because it really sounds nice. The Time Machine seems like a solid, affordable option. I can probably return my DD7 and get a used Time Machine without any additional cash. I'm left with questions about Strymon pedals, though. I'm thinking about saving for a Timeline or a DIG, but I need to be sure that I can get smooth time adjustment out of them before I take the plunge. I can't seem to find any demos online that show these pedals being used in such a way - only the El Capistan is ever shown doing this. Can the Strymon pedals that aren't geared specifically toward analog emulation do this?
Orange OR100
Marshall 2555SL
Freda 2x12's
Laney 2x12
Gibson Faded Flying V

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:24 am

Time Machine is a great delay pedal, does a good analog sound too. One I wish I kept.