Lead Tone Dual Dark HELP NEEDED

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Chuck Ghad
Tiny Terror

Lead Tone Dual Dark HELP NEEDED

Post by Chuck Ghad » Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:36 am

Hey Guys!! It's been a while... I have taken some time off from guitar in order to focus on the college application process, and have just been admitted to Columbia University. Now back to guitar...

I have been playing around with my dual dark 50, and have gotten some pretty solid high gain rhythm tones. But when it comes to lead tones, the amp makes individual notes sound very dull and lack sustain or significant presence. In general, chords sound very punchy and filthy, even on the top three strings. But when it comes to playing individual notes, really anywhere but most especially on the top strings B and E, the notes get muddled or muddied out and pile on top of each other.

I know my guitar is not the problem, since when I play through any other amp, I am getting great lead tones. It has gotten to the point that I am considering just sticking with my line 6 and selling the Dual Dark.

When I try to play lead, it sounds as though the amp is trying to bring the pitch of the notes lower, and continues to muddy up the playing. I would like a precise, searing lead tone, that I have gotten when plugging my guitar through MESAs and M##rshals.
The guitar I am using is a American Deluxe Shawbucker HSS strat, and sounds AMAZING for leads through any other amp :(

I like to play fast, sweep, and shred. Any suggestions on how to make the notes more distinct on the orange? Just as a point of reference, when I play notes on the top E string, there is always horrible screeching sounds that arise, and are absent when I play through the Mesa Dual Rectifier on very similar settings.

Are there any suggestions out there on how to get a better lead guitar sound out of the dual dark? I still have faith in keeping the amp.

Any pedals used to bring a great shreddy sustainy lead tone? I generally scoop the mids on my amps
Play till you slay

Amps:
Orange Dual Dark with PPC 212
Line 6 spider

Effects:
DD-3
SD-1
NS-2
Spark Booster
Crybaby Wah

Guitars:
Epiphone Sheraton
HSS American Deluxe Fender Strat Shawbucker
Fender standard Telecaster

CAR-15

Re: Lead Tone Dual Dark HELP NEEDED

Post by CAR-15 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:29 am

Try NOT scooping the mids. I have a Rockerverb 100 MKIII and I use tons of gain and keep the mid at about 1-2 o'clock. Guitars live in the midrange and scooping the mids kills the frequencies that are supposed to be heard with guitars!
Jim Root Signature Jazzmaster
Jim Root Signature Telecaster
Jim Root Signature USA Strat
1986 Kramer Pacer
Rockerverb 100 MKIII
PPC4x12A
Mesa Dual Rect Roadster Head With EL34's
Mesa 4x12 Slant

Wendigo
Orange Master

Post by Wendigo » Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:37 am

Roll back the bass, jack the mids, set the highs in the middle to taste. Also, use a bit less distortion than you think, as the DD seems to "hide" dynamics through compression as a result of the high gain. Light reverb or analof delay will also help. Channel A all the way for lead. Keep in mind, it will never sound as dynamic as a Marshall or similar.

Chuck Ghad
Tiny Terror

Post by Chuck Ghad » Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:38 am

Thanks guys !! This is all great advice
Play till you slay

Amps:
Orange Dual Dark with PPC 212
Line 6 spider

Effects:
DD-3
SD-1
NS-2
Spark Booster
Crybaby Wah

Guitars:
Epiphone Sheraton
HSS American Deluxe Fender Strat Shawbucker
Fender standard Telecaster

afjungemann
Rocker

Post by afjungemann » Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:19 am

This is an interesting post since I find my dual dark to be perfect for leads. The rhythm is good but it really shines with leads. I have gone to the extreme for my settings recently and have actually been pretty pleased. I dime the treble and mids on channel A with bass around 9 o clock. Gain around 2 o clock. Seems really crazy for settings but it sits perfectly in the mix and cuts the exact right amount. I am using a les Paul though.
Rockerverb 100 MKIII
Rockerverb 50 MKIII combo
AD30TC combo
TH30c
Fender Bassman
Fender Princeton
gibson explorer custom
gibson es355
gibson es359
gibson sg custom
gibson les paul custom
gibson les paul standard